a Camry steel wheel question ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2005, 11:58 am   #1 (permalink)
0_Qed
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default a Camry steel wheel question ...

I had a chance to buy 4 bare steel rims,
hopefully to 'fit' a `94 Camry .

Found some "ID" as follows, on the 1st wheel :
. J14x5_1/2_JJDOT CMC 198LC 12
. rim 'stamped'
. 4 'dots' and "LC" stamped
. on the hub(5 ribs)

The other '3' similar except ;
. a 'section' of the "ID" was 596LC 14 /1097LC 20 /893LC 9
and, one(1) hub(5 ribs) was stamped
. JA 07 . . .

Mite be some form of pt# ,
assuming rolled rims + stamped
hub are assembled in diff plants.

Anyone know the "code" ???

Ed
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2005, 11:04 pm   #2 (permalink)
hachiroku
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: a Camry steel wheel question ...

On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:58:03 -0400, 0_Qed wrote:

> I had a chance to buy 4 bare steel rims,
> hopefully to 'fit' a `94 Camry .
>
> Found some "ID" as follows, on the 1st wheel :
> . J14x5_1/2_JJDOT CMC 198LC 12
> . rim 'stamped'
> . 4 'dots' and "LC" stamped
> . on the hub(5 ribs)
>
> The other '3' similar except ;
> . a 'section' of the "ID" was 596LC 14 /1097LC 20 /893LC 9
> and, one(1) hub(5 ribs) was stamped
> . JA 07 . . .
>
> Mite be some form of pt# ,
> assuming rolled rims + stamped
> hub are assembled in diff plants.
>
> Anyone know the "code" ???
>
> Ed


The JJDOT stands for the Japanese DOT, meaning they were passed by JJDOT
for use.

Here's what you're looking for:

Measure the distance from the center of one bolt hole to the center of the
other bolt hole. Most 4 lug Toy wheels are either 100mm centre-to-centre
or 125.5 (4 1/2") centre to centre. The other number will be something
like 14x5 or similar. This is the diameter of the wheel x width of wheel.

Chances are you have 14x5.5 w/125mm bolt holes. You should be able to go
to a 15x6 with no problem. 15 or 16x7 is pushing it; when you mount the
tires they may not clear the frame on turn (front wheels, of course...)

I put a set of Ford Escort alloys on an '83 Tercel, they worked fine. When
I decided they'd look better on my '95 Tercel, I changed them ALL over and
then discovered they didn't clear the brake calipers...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2005, 09:12 am   #3 (permalink)
0_Qed
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default :-) Re: a Camry steel wheel question ...

hachiroku wrote:

Reply appreciated.

....snip...

> The JJDOT stands for the Japanese DOT, meaning they were passed by JJDOT
> for use.


Thanks.

Very little nitty_gritty wheel 'data', shown in the OEM Camry manual.
"Which", I'm about to cut into manageable sections , ... & rebind.
Worse_er_er than M$ 'Resource' manuals, sizewize.


> Here's what you're looking for:
>
> Measure the distance from the center of one bolt hole to the center of the
> other bolt hole. Most 4 lug Toy wheels are either 100mm centre-to-centre
> or 125.5 (4 1/2") centre to centre. The other number will be something
> like 14x5 or similar. This is the diameter of the wheel x width of wheel.


Actually, they're a 5 bolt pattern , Camry wheels.

Someplace, safely filed 'away' ,
I do have the formula to compute(exact) 5_bolt ,
bolt_hole_circumference,
given two(2), adjacent bolt ctr measurement.


> Chances are you have 14x5.5 w/125mm bolt holes. You should be able to go
> to a 15x6 with no problem. 15 or 16x7 is pushing it; when you mount the
> tires they may not clear the frame on turn (front wheels, of course...)
>
> I put a set of Ford Escort alloys on an '83 Tercel, they worked fine. When
> I decided they'd look better on my '95 Tercel, I changed them ALL over and
> then discovered they didn't clear the brake calipers...


Oh 'Well'. 'So' much for interchangeability.

I thot i'd stick with 'std' Camry spec'd rims & tires ...
dont want to 'wear' the side_walls , or the brake/suspension parts.

Added that,
I have a bit of 'concern' that wheel/suspension "tinkering" mite
turn 'a bit cushy' into 'sloppy', handling_wize.

Ed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2005, 11:40 am   #4 (permalink)
hachiroku
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: :-) Re: a Camry steel wheel question ...

On Tue, 03 May 2005 10:12:44 -0400, 0_Qed wrote:

> hachiroku wrote:
>
> Reply appreciated.
>
> ...snip...
>
>> The JJDOT stands for the Japanese DOT, meaning they were passed by JJDOT
>> for use.

>
> Thanks.
>
> Very little nitty_gritty wheel 'data', shown in the OEM Camry manual.
> "Which", I'm about to cut into manageable sections , ... & rebind.
> Worse_er_er than M$ 'Resource' manuals, sizewize.
>
>
>> Here's what you're looking for:
>>
>> Measure the distance from the center of one bolt hole to the center of the
>> other bolt hole. Most 4 lug Toy wheels are either 100mm centre-to-centre
>> or 125.5 (4 1/2") centre to centre. The other number will be something
>> like 14x5 or similar. This is the diameter of the wheel x width of wheel.

>
> Actually, they're a 5 bolt pattern , Camry wheels.
>
> Someplace, safely filed 'away' ,
> I do have the formula to compute(exact) 5_bolt ,
> bolt_hole_circumference,
> given two(2), adjacent bolt ctr measurement.
>
>
>> Chances are you have 14x5.5 w/125mm bolt holes. You should be able to go
>> to a 15x6 with no problem. 15 or 16x7 is pushing it; when you mount the
>> tires they may not clear the frame on turn (front wheels, of course...)
>>
>> I put a set of Ford Escort alloys on an '83 Tercel, they worked fine. When
>> I decided they'd look better on my '95 Tercel, I changed them ALL over and
>> then discovered they didn't clear the brake calipers...

>
> Oh 'Well'. 'So' much for interchangeability.
>
> I thot i'd stick with 'std' Camry spec'd rims & tires ...
> dont want to 'wear' the side_walls , or the brake/suspension parts.
>
> Added that,
> I have a bit of 'concern' that wheel/suspension "tinkering" mite
> turn 'a bit cushy' into 'sloppy', handling_wize.
>
> Ed.


As for the last bit, tires definitelt DO have a bearing on ride and
handling. Understanding a little about tires: if you have a 205/60-15
tire, this translates to 205mm width, multiply by .6 for the sidewall
height in mm, and 15 being, of course, the diameter of the wheel. So, you
have a sidewall height of 123 mm, about 4 inches (sorry if I'm being too
basic here, I don't know what your knowledge level is...)

Best bet to enjoy the same ride and better handling: increase the width as
much while keeping the sidewall about the same. Shorter sidewall means
less sidewall flex, and better handling but a stiffer ride. The guys you
see with the Hondas and Nissans with what look like bicycle tires will be
replacing their fillings in due course!

I posted some tire calculators in a message either here or in the
a.a.toyota group; they can help you figure what's good. I would say a 215
or 225/55-15 or 16 would be a good ride with decent handling. I 'upgraded'
a '95 Tercel from 155/80-13's to 185/60-13's and the handling was so good
I ran out of engine long before the tires would let go. And the sidewall
height gave a decent ride, too.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.