slow acceleration problem after transmission flush

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2005, 01:08 am   #1 (permalink)
khan
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default slow acceleration problem after transmission flush

After a transmission flush and fuel system clean services at a local
shop recently, my Camry 95 started to show a problem I never seen
before, which is the slow acceleration. Now when the car is first
started, in the morning in particular, going uphill, taking a sharp
turn, or starting after a traffic light stop, it is difficult to
accelerate pass 20m/hr in time. The wheels will hesitate, respond very
slowly, and suddenly grab after I press the gas pedal harder than
usual. If I stop at a stop sign or traffic light in an uphill
position, the car will tend to slide backward when I release the brake
and try to press the gas pedal. I have to hit the gas pedal very hard
and quickly and then hit the brake again to prevent the car from
sliding backward further. Only after then can I accelerate my car
forward uphill. The problem may go away after I drive the car for
about half an hour. I went back to the shop a week later asking for
help. They couldnít diagnose the problem, and asked me to wait until
the problem become more obvious and serious. It is true that by the
time I reached the shop, the symptoms I mentioned did not seem that
obvious, which is very frustrating. If anyone here has any idea what
is going wrong with my car or any suggestion what I could do to have
it fixed, I would really appreciate.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Camry-slow...ict118969.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=577587

Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2005, 02:22 pm   #2 (permalink)
hachiroku
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: slow acceleration problem after transmission flush

On Sat, 07 May 2005 01:08:33 -0500, khan wrote:

> After a transmission flush and fuel system clean services at a local
> shop recently, my Camry 95 started to show a problem I never seen
> before, which is the slow acceleration. Now when the car is first
> started, in the morning in particular, going uphill, taking a sharp
> turn, or starting after a traffic light stop, it is difficult to
> accelerate pass 20m/hr in time. The wheels will hesitate, respond very
> slowly, and suddenly grab after I press the gas pedal harder than
> usual. If I stop at a stop sign or traffic light in an uphill
> position, the car will tend to slide backward when I release the brake
> and try to press the gas pedal. I have to hit the gas pedal very hard
> and quickly and then hit the brake again to prevent the car from
> sliding backward further. Only after then can I accelerate my car
> forward uphill. The problem may go away after I drive the car for
> about half an hour. I went back to the shop a week later asking for
> help. They couldnít diagnose the problem, and asked me to wait until
> the problem become more obvious and serious. It is true that by the
> time I reached the shop, the symptoms I mentioned did not seem that
> obvious, which is very frustrating. If anyone here has any idea what
> is going wrong with my car or any suggestion what I could do to have
> it fixed, I would really appreciate.



How many miles, and what did the tranny sauce look like when it came out?

Now, I am NOT a mechanic or a Toyota tech, but the dealership I work at
flushed our LAST tranny about 3 months ago. After three failures, we
decided enough is enough and just do a fluid change and refill the old
way.

My GUESS is that, as the clutches deteriorate, they leave particulates
that act as friction in the clutch packs. When you flush the tranny,
you're running 24 qts of fluid through a space meant for 6 qts, and it
removes any contaminents. Well, some of those contaminents are actually
what is provideing friction to the cluth plates; by removing them, there
is nothing for the clutch plates to grab onto, since the friction plates
have been worn down. So, you slip like the dickens. Now, granted this is
just a guess, but it has happened to us three times now. At the cost of
replacing three trannies.

If this is something you're doing every 24-30,000 miles from new, it is
probably a good thing. Over 75,000 without a COMPLETE service seems to be
the problem.

I'd start calling junkyards if I were you...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2005, 05:29 pm   #3 (permalink)
Qslim
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: slow acceleration problem after transmission flush


On 7-May-2005, hachiroku <Trueno@ae86.gts> wrote:

> Well, some of those contaminents are actually
> what is provideing friction to the cluth plates; by removing them, there
> is nothing for the clutch plates to grab onto, since the friction plates
> have been worn down.


Yeah Hachi, you hit it on the head. Its not only the fluid being flushed
through the trans, but also the chemicals & cleaners that are often part of
a trans flush service. Another common failure caused by a flush (in addition
to stripping old clutch plates like you said) is removing all the deposits
of varnish that have built up in the nooks & crannies over time. Many times
these little deposits will nestle themselves in and around seals, and when
you flush 'em out, fluid leaks past the place that nasty gunk used to be, so
now there isn't enough pressure generated to do anything.
So anyway, flushing transmissions is not recommended as a fix for old
crappy fluid. Flushing a trans should be done when the fluid is still
fairly clean, on a preventative basis and at regular intervals. If you
pull your dipstick & the fluid isn't pretty, stay away from those
machines.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2005, 09:32 pm   #4 (permalink)
vktechmails@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: slow acceleration problem after transmission flush


Qslim wrote:
> On 7-May-2005, hachiroku <Trueno@ae86.gts> wrote:
>
> > Well, some of those contaminents are actually
> > what is provideing friction to the cluth plates; by removing them,

there
> > is nothing for the clutch plates to grab onto, since the friction

plates
> > have been worn down.

>
> Yeah Hachi, you hit it on the head. Its not only the fluid being

flushed
> through the trans, but also the chemicals & cleaners that are often

part of
> a trans flush service. Another common failure caused by a flush (in

addition
> to stripping old clutch plates like you said) is removing all the

deposits
> of varnish that have built up in the nooks & crannies over time. Many

times
> these little deposits will nestle themselves in and around seals, and

when
> you flush 'em out, fluid leaks past the place that nasty gunk used to

be, so
> now there isn't enough pressure generated to do anything.
> So anyway, flushing transmissions is not recommended as a fix for

old
> crappy fluid. Flushing a trans should be done when the fluid is

still
> fairly clean, on a preventative basis and at regular intervals. If

you
> pull your dipstick & the fluid isn't pretty, stay away from those
> machines.


I read somewhere in the past in this newsgroup that transmission FLUSH
should not be done on old or car with high miles. Seems to be true.

OTOH, the dealer did tranny FLUSH on my '99 Camry at 80K miles and I
actually felt smoother transmission shifts after that. Now I have close
to 100K miles. May be I should not go for tranny FLUSH now on, just
drain/refill.

vk

  Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2005, 09:49 pm   #5 (permalink)
Qslim
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: slow acceleration problem after transmission flush


On 7-May-2005, vktechmails@yahoo.com wrote:

> OTOH, the dealer did tranny FLUSH on my '99 Camry at 80K miles and I
> actually felt smoother transmission shifts after that. Now I have close
> to 100K miles. May be I should not go for tranny FLUSH now on, just
> drain/refill.

Not necessarily. Whether or not the service should be performed should be
stricly based on the condition of the FLUID, not the age or mileage of the
car. If a vehicle has a history of consistent flushes at 20 or 30k
intervals, then there shouldn't be a problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2005, 07:19 am   #6 (permalink)
Hopkins
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: slow acceleration problem after transmission flush

I'm with Qslim -- if the tranny is service every couple years [or 30k
miles], there shouldn't be a problem. You could always pull the
dipstick and get an idea of what the fluid looks like before going for
a flush.

My '93 Camry is at 130,000+ miles. I just had a tranny flush yesterday
and the old fluid looked good. Of course, the tranny is serviced every
couple years.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2005, 04:29 pm   #7 (permalink)
khan
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Re: slow acceleration problem after transmission flush

"hachiroku" wrote:
>:
>How many miles, and what did the tranny sauce look like when it came
>out?
>


Thanks everyone for the response. The car has got 95K miles. No idea
what the fluid looked like when flushed since I didnít do it myself.
The service was recommended by the shop manager who told me the fluid
was dirty. Bought the car from a dealer at 85K miles, and the dealer
did some transmission service right before that. No transmission
service had been done in between.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Camry-slow...ict118969.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=578734

Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2005, 11:05 pm   #8 (permalink)
vktechmails@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: slow acceleration problem after transmission flush

How is the transmission fluid exchange service at pep-boys?
better/worse than deale service?

TIA

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2005, 09:36 am   #9 (permalink)
khan
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Re: slow acceleration problem after transmission flush

"vktechmails" wrote:
> How is the transmission fluid exchange service at pep-boys?
> better/worse than deale service?
>
> TIA


FYI, I took the car back to the shop again last week. They did some
checking and told me everything was fine but this time they topped off
all fluids. I donít quite understand why, but the problem appears to
be gone afterwards. Acceleration is back to normal now.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Camry-slow...ict118969.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=582611
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.