99 Camry front directional bulb keeps burning out

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2005, 07:06 pm   #1 (permalink)
Alan
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 99 Camry front directional bulb keeps burning out

Help I need some thoughts.

The front right directional signal bulb has burned out twice in 3 weeks.
This 2 filament bulb loses one filament and then triggers a rapid blinking
directional signal only when the headlights or parking lights are on. This
follows the manual which says rapid blinking is an indicator of a burned out
bulb.

The question is what would cause repeated burnouts. I am going to use
another brand of bulb - my replacements were both from same package which
was a few years old but I sort of doubt that age has anything to do with it.

Is there a "flasher' that needs replacement?

Please advise

alan


  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 07:14 pm   #2 (permalink)
tj
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 Camry front directional bulb keeps burning out

My first thought is wrong bulb. My second thought is water or moisture is
getting in. Try some dielectric grease on the bulb to help keep water out.
"Alan" <moskowa1NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:RLtOe.15610$U63.10026@fe12.lga...
> Help I need some thoughts.
>
> The front right directional signal bulb has burned out twice in 3 weeks.
> This 2 filament bulb loses one filament and then triggers a rapid blinking
> directional signal only when the headlights or parking lights are on.
> This follows the manual which says rapid blinking is an indicator of a
> burned out bulb.
>
> The question is what would cause repeated burnouts. I am going to use
> another brand of bulb - my replacements were both from same package which
> was a few years old but I sort of doubt that age has anything to do with
> it.
>
> Is there a "flasher' that needs replacement?
>
> Please advise
>
> alan
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 08:35 pm   #3 (permalink)
Alan
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 Camry front directional bulb keeps burning out

ok - I will try the grease. the bulb is the right one. Do you think age of
bulb can affect lifetime - assuming it was never used.

alan


"tj" <trichar3@rochester.rr.comcom> wrote in message
news:iTtOe.35261$EX.16016@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> My first thought is wrong bulb. My second thought is water or moisture is
> getting in. Try some dielectric grease on the bulb to help keep water out.
> "Alan" <moskowa1NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:RLtOe.15610$U63.10026@fe12.lga...
>> Help I need some thoughts.
>>
>> The front right directional signal bulb has burned out twice in 3 weeks.
>> This 2 filament bulb loses one filament and then triggers a rapid
>> blinking directional signal only when the headlights or parking lights
>> are on. This follows the manual which says rapid blinking is an indicator
>> of a burned out bulb.
>>
>> The question is what would cause repeated burnouts. I am going to use
>> another brand of bulb - my replacements were both from same package which
>> was a few years old but I sort of doubt that age has anything to do with
>> it.
>>
>> Is there a "flasher' that needs replacement?
>>
>> Please advise
>>
>> alan
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2005, 04:53 am   #4 (permalink)
davidj92
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 Camry front directional bulb keeps burning out

Alan wrote:
> ok - I will try the grease. the bulb is the right one. Do you think
> age of bulb can affect lifetime - assuming it was never used.
>
> alan
>
>
> "tj" <trichar3@rochester.rr.comcom> wrote in message
> news:iTtOe.35261$EX.16016@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>> My first thought is wrong bulb. My second thought is water or
>> moisture is getting in. Try some dielectric grease on the bulb to
>> help keep water out. "Alan" <moskowa1NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:RLtOe.15610$U63.10026@fe12.lga...
>>> Help I need some thoughts.
>>>
>>> The front right directional signal bulb has burned out twice in 3
>>> weeks. This 2 filament bulb loses one filament and then triggers a
>>> rapid blinking directional signal only when the headlights or
>>> parking lights are on. This follows the manual which says rapid
>>> blinking is an indicator of a burned out bulb.
>>>
>>> The question is what would cause repeated burnouts. I am going to
>>> use another brand of bulb - my replacements were both from same
>>> package which was a few years old but I sort of doubt that age has
>>> anything to do with it.
>>>
>>> Is there a "flasher' that needs replacement?
>>>
>>> Please advise
>>>
>>> alan


I don't think age will matter but quality of bulb will. I've seen Autozone
bulbs that wouldn't hold up for long and I'm sure there are other brands
that lack quality as well.
HTH, davidj92


  Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2005, 07:26 pm   #5 (permalink)
Alan
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 Camry front directional bulb keeps burning out

i will consider getting a better bulb

thanks


"davidj92" <davidj92@sigecom.net> wrote in message
news:QN2dnVBo44aTb5feRVn-qA@sigecom.net...
> Alan wrote:
>> ok - I will try the grease. the bulb is the right one. Do you think
>> age of bulb can affect lifetime - assuming it was never used.
>>
>> alan
>>
>>
>> "tj" <trichar3@rochester.rr.comcom> wrote in message
>> news:iTtOe.35261$EX.16016@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>>> My first thought is wrong bulb. My second thought is water or
>>> moisture is getting in. Try some dielectric grease on the bulb to
>>> help keep water out. "Alan" <moskowa1NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:RLtOe.15610$U63.10026@fe12.lga...
>>>> Help I need some thoughts.
>>>>
>>>> The front right directional signal bulb has burned out twice in 3
>>>> weeks. This 2 filament bulb loses one filament and then triggers a
>>>> rapid blinking directional signal only when the headlights or
>>>> parking lights are on. This follows the manual which says rapid
>>>> blinking is an indicator of a burned out bulb.
>>>>
>>>> The question is what would cause repeated burnouts. I am going to
>>>> use another brand of bulb - my replacements were both from same
>>>> package which was a few years old but I sort of doubt that age has
>>>> anything to do with it.
>>>>
>>>> Is there a "flasher' that needs replacement?
>>>>
>>>> Please advise
>>>>
>>>> alan

>
> I don't think age will matter but quality of bulb will. I've seen Autozone
> bulbs that wouldn't hold up for long and I'm sure there are other brands
> that lack quality as well.
> HTH, davidj92
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2005, 04:24 pm   #6 (permalink)
davidj92
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 Camry front directional bulb keeps burning out

Alan wrote:
> i will consider getting a better bulb
>
> thanks
>


You might try getting one bulb from the dealer just to see if it makes a
difference, the higher cost bulb one time would be worth it. If the dealer
bulb doesn't help then you may have a low-level short that is increasing
current flow through circuit enough to blow the bulb. Hope this isn't so as
it could be a bear to find.
davidj92


  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2005, 12:20 am   #7 (permalink)
Johnnyboy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 Camry front directional bulb keeps burning out

As both globes were from the same package I would blame them. Perhaps there
was insufficient vacuum in the globes. I have had old globes last only a
couple of days before they blow. Were they smokey inside after they failed?
John
"davidj92" <davidj92@sigecom.net> wrote in message
news:vsidna-bOcJgq5PeRVn-uw@sigecom.net...
> Alan wrote:
>> i will consider getting a better bulb
>>
>> thanks
>>

>
> You might try getting one bulb from the dealer just to see if it makes a
> difference, the higher cost bulb one time would be worth it. If the dealer
> bulb doesn't help then you may have a low-level short that is increasing
> current flow through circuit enough to blow the bulb. Hope this isn't so
> as it could be a bear to find.
> davidj92
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2005, 06:36 pm   #8 (permalink)
tbober
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 Camry front directional bulb keeps burning out

"" wrote:
> Help I need some thoughts.
>
> The front right directional signal bulb has burned out twice
> in 3 weeks.
> This 2 filament bulb loses one filament and then triggers a
> rapid blinking
> directional signal only when the headlights or parking lights
> are on. This
> follows the manual which says rapid blinking is an indicator
> of a burned out
> bulb.
>
> The question is what would cause repeated burnouts. I am going
> to use
> another brand of bulb - my replacements were both from same
> package which
> was a few years old but I sort of doubt that age has anything
> to do with it.
>
> Is there a "flasher' that needs replacement?
>
> Please advise
>
> alan


Sounds like a bad ground. If a grounding wire from letís say, the
headlamp, causes an unusual symtom like you are describing, it can
cause surges to another part of the system thereby causing shortened
bulb life, no matter what brand you are using. Just feel lucky you
donít have an old Lucas electrical system.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Camry-99-f...ict134832.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=676606
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.