Reverse Jumpstart

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2005, 03:57 pm   #1 (permalink)
r_patange
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Reverse Jumpstart

Hello,

I need your help with something I experienced. My car battery died and I
called in a technician to jumpstart it. He tried to connect the incorrect
polarity (reverse jumpstart) but then corrected it. This blew off the max
fuse which I replaced but now the CD\MP3 player is no longer working.
Isn't the max fuse supposed to protect everything?
Is it also true that I should expect more electrical problems in the
future?
Thanks Rahul

CAR DETAILS
Year/Make/Model: 2000 TOYOTA CAMRY CE



  Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2005, 05:41 pm   #2 (permalink)
davidj92
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Reverse Jumpstart

r_patange wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need your help with something I experienced. My car battery died
> and I called in a technician to jumpstart it. He tried to connect the
> incorrect polarity (reverse jumpstart) but then corrected it. This
> blew off the max fuse which I replaced but now the CD\MP3 player is
> no longer working. Isn't the max fuse supposed to protect everything?
> Is it also true that I should expect more electrical problems in the
> future?
> Thanks Rahul
>
> CAR DETAILS
> Year/Make/Model: 2000 TOYOTA CAMRY CE


This is/was one of my biggest complaints when I was a lead mechanic and had
people working for me. It boggles my mind at the indifference the majority
of mechanics seem to have on proper jumping techniques. Not that you are
indifferent, don't mean to be ragging on you.
I'd say you're lucky to only have this small of a problem after reversing
the cables. The MAX fuse is supposed to protect everything internal but
sometimes isn't fast enough and some things like battery, alternator and
charging system wiring get damaged as they are a direct connection. You
might be lucky and have a fuse in the audio unit that blew but the problem
most of the time is the current flows into the ground side of all the
electronics and digital isn't very tolerant of this. Also, most electronics
aren't protected on the ground side. All you can do is best guess on any
other problems, mine is if it hasn't shown any other problems by now then
there shouldn't be anything lingering. On the other hand a shock to a lot of
electrical components can shorten their life. I wouldn't worry unduly about
it and just try to get audio unit fixed. If you remove it yourself you might
be able to get a "pass/no-pass" test done for little or nothing at an audio
repair or it could be something inexpensive to fix like a polorized
capacitor in the power supply.
HTH, davidj92


  Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2005, 07:00 pm   #3 (permalink)
JM
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Reverse Jumpstart


"r_patange" <r_patange@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:d2f56dc965fccb9d98d5d26ab08545ce@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
> Hello,
>
> I need your help with something I experienced. My car battery died and I
> called in a technician to jumpstart it. He tried to connect the incorrect
> polarity (reverse jumpstart) but then corrected it. This blew off the max
> fuse which I replaced but now the CD\MP3 player is no longer working.
> Isn't the max fuse supposed to protect everything?
> Is it also true that I should expect more electrical problems in the
> future?
> Thanks Rahul
>
> CAR DETAILS
> Year/Make/Model: 2000 TOYOTA CAMRY CE
>
>

HI.

I hope you had a few words with the guy.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other point is some equipment is fitted with " IDIOT DIODES "
Honest that's the term.
If wrong polarity volts are applied it can pull down the in line fuse fast.
My hobby is Ham Radio and lots of the Jap pieces of equipment have these
diodes
as protection.

So maybe look at the fuse in the car or there maybe be an internal one in
the CD unit.

Just a guess,

Cheers Johnny G3LIV UK.


  Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2005, 07:28 pm   #4 (permalink)
jjjsan
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Reverse Jumpstart

I don't think they design to protect against a polarity reversal. The fuse
is there to protect the wiring and car, if the radio has an internal short,
and prevent fire within the car.

Is the radio the only thing that is not working?
If so, you are very lucky, most times a reversal can blow out other boxes
like the computer, etc.
causing $$$ of repair.
Verify everything functions. there could some units that have been
stressed and will fail later. Search this site for other cases of a
battery reversal connection. I can cause major damage.



  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2005, 05:38 pm   #5 (permalink)
Fourmiler
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Re: Reverse Jumpstart

"" wrote:
> r_patange wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need your help with something I experienced. My car

> battery died
> > and I called in a technician to jumpstart it. He tried to

> connect the
> > incorrect polarity (reverse jumpstart) but then corrected

> it. This
> > blew off the max fuse which I replaced but now the CDMP3

> player is
> > no longer working. Isn't the max fuse supposed to protect

> everything?
> > Is it also true that I should expect more electrical

> problems in the
> > future?
> > Thanks Rahul
> >
> > CAR DETAILS
> > Year/Make/Model: 2000 TOYOTA CAMRY CE

>
> This is/was one of my biggest complaints when I was a lead
> mechanic and had
> people working for me. It boggles my mind at the indifference
> the majority
> of mechanics seem to have on proper jumping techniques. Not
> that you are
> indifferent, don't mean to be ragging on you.
> I'd say you're lucky to only have this small of a problem
> after reversing
> the cables. The MAX fuse is supposed to protect everything
> internal but
> sometimes isn't fast enough and some things like battery,
> alternator and
> charging system wiring get damaged as they are a direct
> connection. You
> might be lucky and have a fuse in the audio unit that blew but
> the problem
> most of the time is the current flows into the ground side of
> all the
> electronics and digital isn't very tolerant of this. Also,
> most electronics
> aren't protected on the ground side. All you can do is best
> guess on any
> other problems, mine is if it hasn't shown any other problems
> by now then
> there shouldn't be anything lingering. On the other hand a
> shock to a lot of
> electrical components can shorten their life. I wouldn't worry
> unduly about
> it and just try to get audio unit fixed. If you remove it
> yourself you might
> be able to get a "pass/no-pass" test done for little or
> nothing at an audio
> repair or it could be something inexpensive to fix like a
> polorized
> capacitor in the power supply.
> HTH, davidj92


In my experience when someone gets the cables backwards, as David
mentioned, the ground side is affected the most. I would also check
any if not all the grounds on the car. They will, if damaged, be
broken in two, or the terminals black, or the insulation on all
grounds will be bubbled up. Not good in any case.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Camry-Reve...ict135364.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=657312
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.