Camry 95 Rattle in the back

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2005, 03:50 pm   #1 (permalink)
TeriMaki
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Camry 95 Rattle in the back

I have a toyota camry 95 has 130k on it.
Has this rattle in the back as if there is something loose in the
trunk.
This rattle is usually at low speeds and over small bumps

Cleaned up the trunk still have the rattle.

Did some research and came across some topics to replace the sway bar
bushings to fix this kind of rattle.

Took it to a local mechanic to replace the sway bar bushings.
He replaced them and suggested to replace the struts as he thought the
bushings are not the cause of the rattle.

Work done so far ....
- Replace the struts
- Replace the strut mounts
- Replace the wheel bearings for the back wheels
- Replace the sway bar bushings

I still have this rattle and don't understand what is causing it.

Any input is appreciated.

  Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2005, 04:31 pm   #2 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 95 Rattle in the back

I know this sounds foolish, but after all the parts you've replaced,
are you sure you don't have something loose in the trunk?
How well are the tire jack and spare tire secured?
There's also an extension for the jack handle under the fiberboard
cover that could possibly be making contact with the spare tire rim.
What does the mechanic that did all this work say?
Can't he bang on various suspension parts with a rubber mallet to try
to duplicate the sound with the car on a lift?
On my '94, I had a rattle in the right rear when I closed the front
doors at one time. Turned out to be the muffler heat shield vibrating
against the bottom of the trunk.
The solution I finally developed was to place a large dab of RTV
silicone sealer between them and that solved it.

  Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2005, 05:06 pm   #3 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 95 Rattle in the back

TeriMaki, 10/5/2005,4:50:12 PM, wrote:

> I have a toyota camry 95 has 130k on it.
> Has this rattle in the back as if there is something loose in the
> trunk.
> This rattle is usually at low speeds and over small bumps
>
> Cleaned up the trunk still have the rattle.
>
> Did some research and came across some topics to replace the sway bar
> bushings to fix this kind of rattle.
>
> Took it to a local mechanic to replace the sway bar bushings.
> He replaced them and suggested to replace the struts as he thought the
> bushings are not the cause of the rattle.
>
> Work done so far ....
> - Replace the struts
> - Replace the strut mounts
> - Replace the wheel bearings for the back wheels
> - Replace the sway bar bushings
>
> I still have this rattle and don't understand what is causing it.
>
> Any input is appreciated.


Make sure the rear deck and/or speakers are not loose. Another thing
to check may be the latches that hold the rear seatbacks up.

--
"Talking to a golf ball won't do you any good. Unless you do it while
your opponent is teeing off." -- Bruce Lansky
  Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2005, 07:19 pm   #4 (permalink)
TeriMaki
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 95 Rattle in the back


Daniel wrote:
> I know this sounds foolish, but after all the parts you've replaced,
> are you sure you don't have something loose in the trunk?
> How well are the tire jack and spare tire secured?


Removed everything including the spare tire and drove and it still same
rattle

> There's also an extension for the jack handle under the fiberboard
> cover that could possibly be making contact with the spare tire rim.
> What does the mechanic that did all this work say?
> Can't he bang on various suspension parts with a rubber mallet to try
> to duplicate the sound with the car on a lift?


Initial check the tires in the back had some play sideways..hence the
bearings
needed replacement. The strut mounts were next and then the struts
themselves as they were not in good shape (found that out then
replacing the mounts)

The last thing he suggested were the sway bar links which connect the
wheel and the sway bar. They also have bushings that might be bad.

> On my '94, I had a rattle in the right rear when I closed the front
> doors at one time. Turned out to be the muffler heat shield vibrating
> against the bottom of the trunk.
> The solution I finally developed was to place a large dab of RTV
> silicone sealer between them and that solved it.


  Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2005, 07:21 pm   #5 (permalink)
TeriMaki
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 95 Rattle in the back

Checked them ....they don;t seem to cause the rattle.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2005, 03:29 am   #6 (permalink)
hbuck
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 95 Rattle in the back

>by "TeriMaki" <teri_maki@yahoo.com> Oct 5, 2005 at 01:50 PM


>I have a toyota camry 95 has 130k on it.
>Has this rattle in the back as if there is something loose in the
>trunk.
>This rattle is usually at low speeds and over small bumps


>Cleaned up the trunk still have the rattle.<snip>




By "cleaned up" ,do you mean you removed everything ? That's what I would
do, everything that will come up,tire,jack,cables,metal tools attached to
bottom of cardboard etc. completely empty, temporarily to test it.
If you don't want to do that, lay an old blanket or towel on top of the
spare. Old towel around jack etc. Everywhere there may be metal to metal.
See if that makes it disappear.
After this I'd be looking at the exhaust pipe and its' brackets.
The tires on my car have a tendacy to pick up pepples and rattle around
the fenderwell when they fly off . I only seem to hear this in the rear
for some reason. But your rattle sounds like it's more consistant, the way
you described it.
Really reaching, now I'd remove the back seat and retrieve that baby
rattler,ha.








  Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2005, 06:08 am   #7 (permalink)
hbuck
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 95 Rattle in the back

>by "hbuck" <hbuck@nadaspam.att.net> Oct 6, 2005 at 04:29 AM

>Really reaching, now I'd remove the back seat and retrieve that baby

rattler,ha.


I meant a childs toy, not a snake. Forgot to chop off that r.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2005, 06:40 am   #8 (permalink)
TeriMaki
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 95 Rattle in the back


hbuck wrote:
> >by "TeriMaki" <teri_maki@yahoo.com> Oct 5, 2005 at 01:50 PM

>
>
> >I have a toyota camry 95 has 130k on it.
> >Has this rattle in the back as if there is something loose in the
> >trunk.
> >This rattle is usually at low speeds and over small bumps

>
> >Cleaned up the trunk still have the rattle.<snip>

>
>
>
> By "cleaned up" ,do you mean you removed everything ? That's what I would
> do, everything that will come up,tire,jack,cables,metal tools attached to
> bottom of cardboard etc. completely empty, temporarily to test it.


Yes. Everything was taken out.
It is a low pitch rattle and is consistent and on low speed going over
small bumps.

> If you don't want to do that, lay an old blanket or towel on top of the
> spare. Old towel around jack etc. Everywhere there may be metal to metal.
> See if that makes it disappear.
> After this I'd be looking at the exhaust pipe and its' brackets.
> The tires on my car have a tendacy to pick up pepples and rattle around
> the fenderwell when they fly off . I only seem to hear this in the rear
> for some reason. But your rattle sounds like it's more consistant, the way
> you described it.
> Really reaching, now I'd remove the back seat and retrieve that baby
> rattler,ha.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2005, 06:58 am   #9 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 95 Rattle in the back

TeriMaki, 10/5/2005, 8:21:01 PM,
<1128558061.747258.33360@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> wrote:

> Checked them ....they don;t seem to cause the rattle.


Have the drum brakes been looked at?

--
"Golf is like an 18-year-old girl with big boobs. You know it's wrong
but you can't keep away from her." -- Val Doonican
  Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2005, 07:20 am   #10 (permalink)
TeriMaki
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 95 Rattle in the back

No. The break drums have not been checked...will get that checked and I
will keep you posted.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.