Not equal wear of rear drum shoes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2005, 09:15 pm   #1 (permalink)
Pszemol
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Not equal wear of rear drum shoes

Camry 95 with rear drums, 193000 miles.

I noticed my shoes are not equally worn.
They seem to be thiner on the upper side.
Is this normal ? I figured this could be
from the way they worked pushed away
on the upper side, but I am not sure...

BTW - I did my front brakes today, new
rotors, new pads - cleaned everything...
I did not do the rears, did not have
enought time - I hope it is ok ? Car breaks
fine except rear of the car lifts a little
when I break. It is ok, I guess. I will do
rears next weekend. I will need more time
for rears since I noticed right piston is
leaking a little - the rubber boot was wet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2005, 12:01 pm   #2 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Not equal wear of rear drum shoes


"Pszemol" <Pszemol@PolBox.com> wrote in message
news:dklrps.348.1@poczta.onet.pl...
> Camry 95 with rear drums, 193000 miles.
>
> I noticed my shoes are not equally worn.
> They seem to be thiner on the upper side.
> Is this normal ? I figured this could be
> from the way they worked pushed away
> on the upper side, but I am not sure...


It's completely normal for the reasons you have said. There is one dual
piston-slave cylinder, which pushes the tops of the shoes out,..hence the
top of the linings will wear more.
'
Of all the cars I've had with this arrangement, that has been the result.



> BTW - I did my front brakes today, new
> rotors, new pads - cleaned everything...
> I did not do the rears, did not have
> enought time - I hope it is ok ?


While their is a 1/16" or more of lining at the thinnest point, I personally
would not be concerned with normal driving (not towing a van or anything
heavy).


Car breaks
> fine except rear of the car lifts a little
> when I break. It is ok, I guess. I will do
> rears next weekend. I will need more time
> for rears since I noticed right piston is
> leaking a little - the rubber boot was wet.


Unfortunaely that means the cyl is probably scored. Buy a new unit from a
non-Toyota brake place or Auto-barn. The Italians make all-model
replacements for example which are just as good and much cheaper.

Be careful removing and replacing the return springs. They are *very*
strong. I use a decent brand of vice-grips. That way you wont injure
yourself if the spring twangs loose.

I also use a special gizzmo which holds the cylinder's pistons right in.
Then you can attach all the return springs with the shoes angle out. Then
you gently push the shoes home, engaging their ends as you go. Takes a bit
of practise.

You then bleed the brakes,..but you probably knew that :-)

Jason


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.