Need Suggestions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2006, 09:15 am   #1 (permalink)
learnfpga@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Need Suggestions

Hello All,
I recently purchased a used car 1999 camry LE with 6900 miles on it. I
thought it was a steal for a price I got it for until I took it my
mechanic who looked at the car and said it was repainted. When he made
a closer observation he found out that the roof of the car was probably
damaged and someone put a new factory roof and welded it to the body.
When he pulled the rubber linings on the doors I could see the welding
signs. Now I brought this car by checking the VIN number on carfax
which claimed that it has no major damages or accidents reported on the
car.
After reliazing the issues with my car I emailed carfax but they say
since it was not totalled by DMV its still a good car and hence they
would not cover it for a buyback guarantee. Has anyone come across
something like this and what do you think are my options now? Thanks a
lot in advance for a tips or suggestions. Ciao!!!!

  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2006, 10:08 am   #2 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Suggestions


<learnfpga@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1138634100.182175.150980@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
> Hello All,
> I recently purchased a used car 1999 camry LE with 6900 miles on it. I
> thought it was a steal for a price I got it for until I took it my
> mechanic who looked at the car and said it was repainted. When he made
> a closer observation he found out that the roof of the car was probably
> damaged and someone put a new factory roof and welded it to the body.
> When he pulled the rubber linings on the doors I could see the welding
> signs. Now I brought this car by checking the VIN number on carfax
> which claimed that it has no major damages or accidents reported on the
> car.
> After reliazing the issues with my car I emailed carfax but they say
> since it was not totalled by DMV its still a good car and hence they
> would not cover it for a buyback guarantee. Has anyone come across
> something like this and what do you think are my options now? Thanks a
> lot in advance for a tips or suggestions. Ciao!!!!


The real question is: was the car priced appropriately, given the car's
condition?

If the car's engine and trans is like new in operation, which is what you;d
expect at 6,900 miles then it's probably going to give you decades of
reliability. If the car has noises and vibrations courtesy of that
accident,..then its not such a good buy,..plus how good a job did they do on
the spray-job? Stuff like that,..its an assessment.

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2006, 10:30 am   #3 (permalink)
learnfpga@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Suggestions

Thanks for the reply. One correction it was 69000 miles and not 6900
miles (Still less than what the average mile should be for a 6 year old
car) . Even then Camry will go for a long time and doesnt look like the
engine and transmission are bad. The bad thing is that the paint job
was not good and thats how the mechanic spotted the first time and the
question is if I plan to keep the car (Since carfax is not gonna do
anything about it) how much do you think it will cost to do a good
paint job to avoid rusting of body in a year or so. Once again thanks
for the reply....

  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2006, 11:04 am   #4 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Suggestions


<learnfpga@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1138638613.933623.274240@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Thanks for the reply. One correction it was 69000 miles and not 6900
> miles (Still less than what the average mile should be for a 6 year old
> car) . Even then Camry will go for a long time and doesnt look like the
> engine and transmission are bad. The bad thing is that the paint job
> was not good and thats how the mechanic spotted the first time and the
> question is if I plan to keep the car (Since carfax is not gonna do
> anything about it) how much do you think it will cost to do a good
> paint job to avoid rusting of body in a year or so. Once again thanks
> for the reply....


The old saying "you get what you pay for" applies to paint-jobs more so than
most things. I can only say, that if the car drives/steers well, has no
noises or vibrations, then a proper paint job may well be worth it. Paint
primarily protects the outer side of the sheetmetal. Rust almost always
comes from inside the panel, thru leaking window seals and courtesyof
blocked drain-holes..so for the large part, because Camrys dont have these
seal and drain-hole problems unless the accident interfered with these, the
paint-job is for appearance. A "good" paint job can cost thousands and is up
to you how far you want to go. Quick cheap jobs are detected by noting
prominent edges around body fittings where they only masked the fitting,
rather than removing it, poor colour matching and a change in appearance of
the surface compared to original areas.

Thing is, many cars once they reach a certain age, have body repairs, and a
lot have cheap paint repairs. So its a personal thing how far you want to
go. If the roof repair was reasonable, and the paint repair had to be
revealed by very careful examination, then perhaps its not that bad a job.

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2006, 11:38 am   #5 (permalink)
learnfpga@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Suggestions

I guess you are right. I could not tell that it had a paint job till
the mechenic told me so. Also mechenic says if I dont get a paint job
then the body will start rusting (bu I guess he is just looking for a
quick business). Considering the miles on the car and other factors I
will use the car for a year or so and then think if I want it painted
or not. Otherwise the car runs fine.
Thanks for taking time to give suggestions. Have a good one.

  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2006, 06:08 pm   #6 (permalink)
Big Kahuna
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Suggestions

In article <1138634100.182175.150980@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
learnfpga@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello All,
> I recently purchased a used car 1999 camry LE with 6900 miles on it. I
> thought it was a steal for a price I got it for until I took it my
> mechanic who looked at the car and said it was repainted. When he made
> a closer observation he found out that the roof of the car was probably
> damaged and someone put a new factory roof and welded it to the body.
> When he pulled the rubber linings on the doors I could see the welding
> signs. Now I brought this car by checking the VIN number on carfax
> which claimed that it has no major damages or accidents reported on the
> car.
> After reliazing the issues with my car I emailed carfax but they say
> since it was not totalled by DMV its still a good car and hence they
> would not cover it for a buyback guarantee. Has anyone come across
> something like this and what do you think are my options now? Thanks a
> lot in advance for a tips or suggestions. Ciao!!!!


What?
I thought the point of carfax was to get the *history* of a car. Not
just a restatement about a salvage title.

If the car was "totaled" by an insurance company, it would have a
salvage title. Yeah, the DMV would know that, but the title would also
say "salvage" on it! So what would you need carfax for?!?

It sounds like carfax ripped you off. If there was major repair done
from a rollover including a paint job--and there's *no* record of any of
that, carfax is pretty useless I'd say....
  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2006, 08:06 pm   #7 (permalink)
Wolfgang
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Suggestions

I agree - you bought the car based on a clean bill of health from CarFAX.
CarFAX is a waste if money if they didn't report major accident damage like
a roof being replaced - that has to be 3K worth of repairs. If it wasn't
doen right - it will rust out from the inside out - plus it is a safety
issue should you have a role over accident. I'd contact a laywer and at
hleast have him write a letter to CarFAX threatening a suit. Their guaranty
has a lot of loop holes - it has to be DMV reported damage -- a tree falls
on the car and it would not be reported to DMV!

"Big Kahuna" <none@nothanks.com> wrote in message
news:none-9A9360.16085630012006@news.stanford.edu...
> In article <1138634100.182175.150980@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
> learnfpga@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> I recently purchased a used car 1999 camry LE with 6900 miles on it. I
>> thought it was a steal for a price I got it for until I took it my
>> mechanic who looked at the car and said it was repainted. When he made
>> a closer observation he found out that the roof of the car was probably
>> damaged and someone put a new factory roof and welded it to the body.
>> When he pulled the rubber linings on the doors I could see the welding
>> signs. Now I brought this car by checking the VIN number on carfax
>> which claimed that it has no major damages or accidents reported on the
>> car.
>> After reliazing the issues with my car I emailed carfax but they say
>> since it was not totalled by DMV its still a good car and hence they
>> would not cover it for a buyback guarantee. Has anyone come across
>> something like this and what do you think are my options now? Thanks a
>> lot in advance for a tips or suggestions. Ciao!!!!

>
> What?
> I thought the point of carfax was to get the *history* of a car. Not
> just a restatement about a salvage title.
>
> If the car was "totaled" by an insurance company, it would have a
> salvage title. Yeah, the DMV would know that, but the title would also
> say "salvage" on it! So what would you need carfax for?!?
>
> It sounds like carfax ripped you off. If there was major repair done
> from a rollover including a paint job--and there's *no* record of any of
> that, carfax is pretty useless I'd say....



  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2006, 03:37 pm   #8 (permalink)
learnfpga@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Suggestions

Well the way I understood from car fax email which I am pasting here

"Accident data that does not result in a branded title being issued by
the state is not covered under CARFAX Buyback guarantee. If an accident
produces a salvage or junk title as a result, then that branded title
would be a possible subject of a claim if Carfax failed to report on
it. Accident data, however, is not by itself a suitable subject matter
for claims. "

So basically someone can have an accident and have it fixed by a
mechanic through cash transaction then it would not come on the report
and hence would not get a salvage title and hence does not come under
carfax buyback gaurantee.

Anyways....I am going to bite the bullet and keep the car and may be
have it repainted.

  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2006, 06:16 pm   #9 (permalink)
Seamus J. Wilson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Suggestions

Today's NPR has information on salvaged cars a la Katrina. The thieves wash
the salvage from the title by going through several states DMV. Eventually
salvage disappears from title.
They said State Farm was behind this big time.
Look for NPR on net and view article, firghteneing. Many rip offs coming
from katrina slavage!
Best,
Seamus J. Wilson
<learnfpga@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1138634100.182175.150980@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
> Hello All,
> I recently purchased a used car 1999 camry LE with 6900 miles on it. I
> thought it was a steal for a price I got it for until I took it my
> mechanic who looked at the car and said it was repainted. When he made
> a closer observation he found out that the roof of the car was probably
> damaged and someone put a new factory roof and welded it to the body.
> When he pulled the rubber linings on the doors I could see the welding
> signs. Now I brought this car by checking the VIN number on carfax
> which claimed that it has no major damages or accidents reported on the
> car.
> After reliazing the issues with my car I emailed carfax but they say
> since it was not totalled by DMV its still a good car and hence they
> would not cover it for a buyback guarantee. Has anyone come across
> something like this and what do you think are my options now? Thanks a
> lot in advance for a tips or suggestions. Ciao!!!!
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2006, 08:12 am   #10 (permalink)
learnfpga@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Suggestions

I dont think this car was katrina but I am aware of this thing
happening and thats why I did not go to the dealer to buy a car. I
picked a totally random person "Ptivate Seller" and people who sold
the car seemed very nice too. I think even they were not aware when the
originally purchased the car that it has a damage. They had originally
purchased it from a dealer.

I think the lesson from all this is buy a new car if you have money. If
you dont then dont expect that you will get a good car always inspite
of all the precautions that one can exercise.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.