92 Camry Cruise Issue

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2006, 06:24 pm   #1 (permalink)
Dash Riprock
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 92 Camry Cruise Issue

The cruise control in my 92 wagon finally died. It was having intermittent
issues for the past three years but just gave up this weekend.

It would randomly disengage, the dash light would flash a few times then
stop working until the ignition was turned off and then back on. This was
random and "seemed" to happen in damp, cool days more than in hot dry summer
days. It would often go for months without a problem and then start up for
a bit again.

Question, what possible issues could cause this? Is it the likely the servo
mechanism under the hood, a shorted wire in the wiring harnes, a bad switch,
a bad control module?????

Any guesses would be appreciated as I can get parts fairly cheap, (wink,
wink) and I use the cruise far more than any other option on the car. (Well
I used to.)

The old girl is starting to show her age but I still love her.
D.R.
92 Camry LS Wagon with 426,000 kms.


  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2006, 08:43 am   #2 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 92 Camry Cruise Issue

two areas to check are the wiring connection to the cruise control and
the actuator inside the box next to the battery.
perhaps try a wrecking yard replacement actuator - otherwise they are
costly
=====
those are my guesses
factory service manual probably has more detailed troubleshooting
guidelines

  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2006, 01:42 pm   #3 (permalink)
NickySantoro
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 92 Camry Cruise Issue

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:24:06 -0500, "Dash Riprock" <DashIs@Home.ca>
wrote:

>The cruise control in my 92 wagon finally died. It was having intermittent
>issues for the past three years but just gave up this weekend.
>
>It would randomly disengage, the dash light would flash a few times then
>stop working until the ignition was turned off and then back on. This was
>random and "seemed" to happen in damp, cool days more than in hot dry summer
>days. It would often go for months without a problem and then start up for
>a bit again.
>
>Question, what possible issues could cause this? Is it the likely the servo
>mechanism under the hood, a shorted wire in the wiring harnes, a bad switch,
>a bad control module?????
>
>Any guesses would be appreciated as I can get parts fairly cheap, (wink,
>wink) and I use the cruise far more than any other option on the car. (Well
>I used to.)
>
>The old girl is starting to show her age but I still love her.
>D.R.
>92 Camry LS Wagon with 426,000 kms.
>

Are you experiencing any issues with other systems?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2006, 06:20 pm   #4 (permalink)
Dash Riprock
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 92 Camry Cruise Issue

For the past 200,000 km the car has had random phantom electrical issues.
Rare but usually really weird and non-persistent. e.g. Door Locks not
unlocking all doors and hatch, drivers window not working and once the air
selection wouldn't change from vent to defrost. All seem to disappear once
car is shut down and then later restarted. These have all been very rare,
even more so, than the flaky cruise behaviour.

There is virtually no rust on the car, but even so I have checked and tested
all of the ground connections I could find.

DR

"NickySantoro" <NickySantoro@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:4bfvt1hrdj52n0ijeuh9e1g4qchbr1ut5b@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:24:06 -0500, "Dash Riprock" <DashIs@Home.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >The cruise control in my 92 wagon finally died. It was having

intermittent
> >issues for the past three years but just gave up this weekend.
> >
> >It would randomly disengage, the dash light would flash a few times then
> >stop working until the ignition was turned off and then back on. This

was
> >random and "seemed" to happen in damp, cool days more than in hot dry

summer
> >days. It would often go for months without a problem and then start up

for
> >a bit again.
> >
> >Question, what possible issues could cause this? Is it the likely the

servo
> >mechanism under the hood, a shorted wire in the wiring harnes, a bad

switch,
> >a bad control module?????
> >
> >Any guesses would be appreciated as I can get parts fairly cheap, (wink,
> >wink) and I use the cruise far more than any other option on the car.

(Well
> >I used to.)
> >
> >The old girl is starting to show her age but I still love her.
> >D.R.
> >92 Camry LS Wagon with 426,000 kms.
> >

> Are you experiencing any issues with other systems?



  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2006, 03:49 pm   #5 (permalink)
davidj92
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 92 Camry Cruise Issue

Dash Riprock wrote:
> For the past 200,000 km the car has had random phantom electrical
> issues. Rare but usually really weird and non-persistent. e.g. Door
> Locks not unlocking all doors and hatch, drivers window not working
> and once the air selection wouldn't change from vent to defrost. All
> seem to disappear once car is shut down and then later restarted.
> These have all been very rare, even more so, than the flaky cruise
> behaviour.
>
> There is virtually no rust on the car, but even so I have checked and
> tested all of the ground connections I could find.
>
> DR


When one of the flaky problems presents itself try wiggling the key in the
switch to see if it has any affect. I'm not sure if the Camry has a remote
switch that is actuated by a rod from the lock assy but I think it's
directly attached. I've seen the switches that are directly attached cause
weird electrical problems when going bad. Most likely cause is a large ring
of keys swinging while hanging from the ignition.
davidj92


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.