Replacing Timing belt

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2006, 11:58 pm   #1 (permalink)
Zanteus
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Replacing Timing belt

I have a 92 camry V6 US Sedan model. On the camshaft gear closest to the
firewall there are 2 marks, 3V and 4V, and on the other gear just one
mark. I verified TDC at the distributor, lined up the 3V mark on the
timing mark and the timing mark on the other camshaft gear. The engine
runs but just barely, like its way out of time. I have asked several
people but nothing works. What am I doing wrong?

  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2006, 06:44 am   #2 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Replacing Timing belt


"Zanteus" <zanteus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:ee07e73c4aced30ac91fc7d325b6bb69@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
> I have a 92 camry V6 US Sedan model. On the camshaft gear closest to the
> firewall there are 2 marks, 3V and 4V, and on the other gear just one
> mark. I verified TDC at the distributor, lined up the 3V mark on the
> timing mark and the timing mark on the other camshaft gear. The engine
> runs but just barely, like its way out of time. I have asked several
> people but nothing works. What am I doing wrong?


I have only the 4 cylinder manual, so I cant help,..excewpt to say at the
least you need to buy a Haynes or similiar workshop manual for your V6. It
will take all the guess-work out for round $30. Haynes make very detailed
manuals going by one I've seen for the Mitsy Diamante.

Spend the money :-)

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2006, 09:44 am   #3 (permalink)
Zanteus
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Replacing Timing belt

I have the Haynes Manual, it says nothing sbout 2 different marks on thr RH
Pulley.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2006, 11:18 am   #4 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Replacing Timing belt


"Zanteus" <zanteus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:b2bfb2da3710d45663bb10e676da5963@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
> I have the Haynes Manual, it says nothing sbout 2 different marks on thr

RH
> Pulley.


OK,..perhaps some-one will be able to step in and offer some info on the V6
cam-drives. I did some research and found alarmingly, that Toyota rely on
the engine shafts not to be turned "out of sync" during belt replacement for
DYIers,..however their Toyota w/shop manuals do contain info on how to start
from scratch.

Having found that, there is a lot of pictorial info on the job,..and below
is a starter site to guide you down the page to the V6 cam-belt replacement
drawing links.

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic424744.htm

scroll down to the "photobucket" links for your engine timing belt job.

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2006, 05:56 pm   #5 (permalink)
NickySantoro
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Replacing Timing belt

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:58:13 -0500, "Zanteus" <zanteus@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>I have a 92 camry V6 US Sedan model. On the camshaft gear closest to the
>firewall there are 2 marks, 3V and 4V, and on the other gear just one
>mark. I verified TDC at the distributor, lined up the 3V mark on the
>timing mark and the timing mark on the other camshaft gear. The engine
>runs but just barely, like its way out of time. I have asked several
>people but nothing works. What am I doing wrong?



FWIW

http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/

If that doesn't help, email me and I'll scan and send you the TB
install pages from my '93 FSM for the 3VZ-FE.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:30 am   #6 (permalink)
Alex
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Replacing Timing belt

What a great resource. Wonder if you have similar links for a 95 Corolla or
04 Tacoma?

"NickySantoro" <NickySantoro@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:j8usu11upkimj7cgkiqa5m88c0squ9mip4@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:58:13 -0500, "Zanteus" <zanteus@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
>
> http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/
>
> If that doesn't help, email me and I'll scan and send you the TB
> install pages from my '93 FSM for the 3VZ-FE.



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.