Changing spark plugs quote

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2006, 10:22 am   #1 (permalink)
Steve K
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Changing spark plugs quote

I just got a quote from a Toyota service shop in town for $189.00 to
change the 6 spark plugs on my 1998 Camry V6. I thought Wow!

Is this normal?

And how normal is it that the shift lever gets corroded, I assume they
meant the corrosion is underneath the car, and could possibly get stuck?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2006, 02:17 pm   #2 (permalink)
qslim
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Changing spark plugs quote

Yeah, I think we charge about 1.2 hrs of labor for the front drive V6s.
Throw in the price of plugs, and you're probably about there. That rear
bank is a real bitch to work around.
As far as the shift lever getting corroded, I don't know what you're
talking about. Are you having shifting problems? Manual or auto?

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2006, 02:21 pm   #3 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Changing spark plugs quote

Dealer prices are usualy overpriced, shop.

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2006, 03:37 pm   #4 (permalink)
vktechmails@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Changing spark plugs quote

All,

On the same note, can anybody detail the procedure for changing spark
plugs on 1999 Camry 4Cyl? Is it easy to do?

Thanks

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2006, 03:51 pm   #5 (permalink)
Nobody Important
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Changing spark plugs quote

vktechmails@yahoo.com wrote:
> On the same note, can anybody detail the procedure for changing spark
> plugs on 1999 Camry 4Cyl? Is it easy to do?


1. Remove spark plug wires. Keep track of which wire goes on which
spark plug.
2. Remove spark plugs with spark plug socket.
3. Demand wife serve you beer because you are doing extremely
complicated, thirst-inducing car repair work.
4. Screw new spark plugs into the holes where you got the old ones out of.
5. Bask in the glory of saving yourself $50 in dealership service fees.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2006, 05:17 pm   #6 (permalink)
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Changing spark plugs quote


Nobody Important wrote:
> vktechmails@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On the same note, can anybody detail the procedure for changing spark
> > plugs on 1999 Camry 4Cyl? Is it easy to do?

>
> 1. Remove spark plug wires. Keep track of which wire goes on which
> spark plug.
> 2. Remove spark plugs with spark plug socket.
> 3. Demand wife serve you beer because you are doing extremely
> complicated, thirst-inducing car repair work.
> 4. Screw new spark plugs into the holes where you got the old ones out of.
> 5. Bask in the glory of saving yourself $50 in dealership service fees.



For (2), you mean use a deep-socket, with extension, right?

You forgot:

2.5. Put anti-seize compound on new spark plugs. (This cheap compound
will make it easier to remove the plugs next time they need replacing.
And this is best done before drinking the beer.)

4.5. Put spark plug wires back on.

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2006, 05:22 pm   #7 (permalink)
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Changing spark plugs quote


onehappymad...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Nobody Important wrote:
> > vktechmails@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > On the same note, can anybody detail the procedure for changing spark
> > > plugs on 1999 Camry 4Cyl? Is it easy to do?

> >
> > 1. Remove spark plug wires. Keep track of which wire goes on which
> > spark plug.
> > 2. Remove spark plugs with spark plug socket.
> > 3. Demand wife serve you beer because you are doing extremely
> > complicated, thirst-inducing car repair work.
> > 4. Screw new spark plugs into the holes where you got the old ones out of.
> > 5. Bask in the glory of saving yourself $50 in dealership service fees.

>
>
> For (2), you mean use a deep-socket, with extension, right?
>
> You forgot:
>
> 2.5. Put anti-seize compound on new spark plugs.



My bad... meant to say, put anti-seize compound on the *threads* of the
new spark plugs. Not just anywhere on the plugs.

Make sure you buy the right spark plugs for your car, with the right
spark plug gap.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ge+spark+plugs

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2006, 05:54 pm   #8 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Changing spark plugs quote

If you use Toyota wires - which you should - they're numbered.
Use of a torque wrench is recommended - you're working with aluminum
threads.
Basically, changing spark plugs on the four cylinder is easy. Handle
the wires gently, if you yank on them they can be damaged.
IIRC the socket is 5/8" -- that was my biggest problem the first time -
couldn't find a metric spark plug socket.
Also, you should use Denso or NGK plugs - follow your owner's manual.
Other brands have been known to cause problems in the Camry.

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2006, 06:10 pm   #9 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Changing spark plugs quote

Use compressed air to clean out the recess before you remove the plugs,
if wire plug caps have any deterioration replace wires or arching may
easily occur.

  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2006, 12:15 am   #10 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Changing spark plugs quote

Also, keep the sensor-safe anti-seize compound about 2-3 threads away
from the tip.

I'd torque them to 13 lb-ft using a torque wrench. Harbor Freight has
them on sale for $12.99 I think for the next couple of weeks.

98 uses the waste spark system, so on one plug the spark jumps from the
center to the ground electrode and on the other from the *ground* to
the center electrode! Worst design nobody uses any more (including
Toyota). For this reason use only recommended plugs.

The Bosch plug, which works very well on other engines because it
spreads the flame flat towards the multiple ground electrodes, won't
work on this engine. Because when the spark jumps to the center
electrode, it covers the center electrode with metal from the ground
and fouls it.

Now, NGK (but not denso) says the Iridium is a proper application for
the engine in the catalog. It's an excellent plug. Has anyone tried it
in a waste spark system?


> My bad... meant to say, put anti-seize compound on the *threads* of the
> new spark plugs. Not just anywhere on the plugs.
>
> Make sure you buy the right spark plugs for your car, with the right
> spark plug gap.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ge+spark+plugs


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.