Impala VERSUS Camry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2006, 04:28 pm   #1 (permalink)
Built_Well
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Impala VERSUS Camry

From the Automotive News (autoNews.com):

"General Motors plans to go on the offensive against Toyota with
aggressive Chevrolet advertising."

"GM will try to blunt the Toyota Camry launch in the
spring. GM will run head-to-head comparisons between the Chevrolet
Impala and the 2007 Camry in March, dealers said."

It's a risky move to bring up a competitor in advertising,
analysts say. But in this case it's necessary.

"When you're shooting at the top guy in the market, you basically
have nothing to lose by trying to persuade your own owners, and
perhaps other domestic owners, that there is no reason to defect
to Camry," said Doug Scott, industry analyst with GFK Automotive
in Southfield, Mich.

"Given Toyota's loyalty rate, it's very unlikely you will be
persuading Camry owners or Toyota owners in general to defect the
other way."

Scott noted two challenges GM faces in squaring off against the Camry.

The first would be if the new Camry turns out to be an improvement
over the current model.

The second is that the already popular Camry gets a hybrid version.

Last year, Chevrolet sold 246,481 units of the Impala in the
United States, compared with Toyota, which sold 431,703 units of
the Camry.

Scott said of the advertising: "I would recommend it on the part
of Chevy, but in my view it's more of a defensive measure than an
offensive measure."

It will be interesting to see the tv ads. Info on the new
'07 Camry:
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60224012/1003
  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2006, 04:51 pm   #2 (permalink)
T
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Impala VERSUS Camry

so you are a big toyota fan?

  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2006, 05:18 pm   #3 (permalink)
Justa Lurker
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Impala VERSUS Camry

Built_Well wrote:
> From the Automotive News (autoNews.com):
>
> "Given Toyota's loyalty rate, it's very unlikely you will be
> persuading Camry owners or Toyota owners in general to defect the
> other way."
>


That would be the winner of 2006 "Understatement of the Year" Award !!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2006, 07:52 pm   #4 (permalink)
dh
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Impala VERSUS Camry

"Built_Well" <bw@bbbb.com> wrote in message
news:g5edncDS9_qOtp_ZRVn-iA@sysmatrix.net...
> From the Automotive News (autoNews.com):
>
> "General Motors plans to go on the offensive against Toyota with
> aggressive Chevrolet advertising."
>
> "GM will try to blunt the Toyota Camry launch in the
> spring. GM will run head-to-head comparisons between the Chevrolet
> Impala and the 2007 Camry in March, dealers said."
>

[snip]
>

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60224012/1003

They're going on the offensive with an advertising blitz?

Maybe I'm a little crazy but wouldn't GM's best offense against the Camry
involve a really good car at a really good price?

My Dad recently rented an Impala and I rode in it. I was unimpressed.
However,, his driving scares the crap out of me, so I didn't spend as much
time considering the car's qualities as I spent preparing myself for the
afterlife.




*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2006, 12:31 am   #5 (permalink)
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Impala VERSUS Camry


dh wrote:
> "Built_Well" <bw@bbbb.com> wrote in message
> news:g5edncDS9_qOtp_ZRVn-iA@sysmatrix.net...
> > From the Automotive News (autoNews.com):
> >
> > "General Motors plans to go on the offensive against Toyota with
> > aggressive Chevrolet advertising."
> >
> > "GM will try to blunt the Toyota Camry launch in the
> > spring. GM will run head-to-head comparisons between the Chevrolet
> > Impala and the 2007 Camry in March, dealers said."
> >

> [snip]
> >

> http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60224012/1003
>
> They're going on the offensive with an advertising blitz?
>
> Maybe I'm a little crazy but wouldn't GM's best offense against the Camry
> involve a really good car at a really good price?


Or at the very least, a really good warranty. Like Hyundai did, with
their 10-yr 100,000 mile (powertrain only?) warranty. Now their
Sonata made it as a Consumer Reports Best Buy.


> My Dad recently rented an Impala and I rode in it. I was unimpressed.
> However,, his driving scares the crap out of me, so I didn't spend as much
> time considering the car's qualities as I spent preparing myself for the
> afterlife.


That would be me and my co-worker. Landed in Ontario Airport for work,
he rented a car, and he tried to turn left on a red light while I'm
screaming, "It's Red! It's Red!"

  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2006, 03:53 am   #6 (permalink)
Jim Higgins
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Impala VERSUS Camry


<onehappymadman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1141021861.852749.128650@v46g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
>
> dh wrote:
>> "Built_Well" <bw@bbbb.com> wrote in message
>> news:g5edncDS9_qOtp_ZRVn-iA@sysmatrix.net...
>> > From the Automotive News (autoNews.com):
>> >
>> > "General Motors plans to go on the offensive against Toyota with
>> > aggressive Chevrolet advertising."
>> >
>> > "GM will try to blunt the Toyota Camry launch in the
>> > spring. GM will run head-to-head comparisons between the Chevrolet
>> > Impala and the 2007 Camry in March, dealers said."
>> >

>> [snip]
>> >

>> http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60224012/1003
>>
>> They're going on the offensive with an advertising blitz?
>>
>> Maybe I'm a little crazy but wouldn't GM's best offense against the Camry
>> involve a really good car at a really good price?

>
> Or at the very least, a really good warranty. Like Hyundai did, with
> their 10-yr 100,000 mile (powertrain only?) warranty. Now their
> Sonata made it as a Consumer Reports Best Buy.
>
>
>> My Dad recently rented an Impala and I rode in it. I was unimpressed.
>> However,, his driving scares the crap out of me, so I didn't spend as
>> much
>> time considering the car's qualities as I spent preparing myself for the
>> afterlife.

>
> That would be me and my co-worker. Landed in Ontario Airport for work,
> he rented a car, and he tried to turn left on a red light while I'm
> screaming, "It's Red! It's Red!"
>


Given the GM management and bean counter mindset I think it highly unlikely
that they will be capable of producing a rival to match, let alone exceed,
the quality of the Camry. GM will make way too many compromises. GM could
conceivably manage a temporary victory on a small scale but they will make
the compromises, scale back and take the short view-again. The GM managers
in place are going to save them (the same ones that got them into the
current fix)? Hardly.


  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2006, 06:53 am   #7 (permalink)
tww
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Impala VERSUS Camry


"Built_Well" <bw@bbbb.com> wrote in message
news:g5edncDS9_qOtp_ZRVn-iA@sysmatrix.net...
> From the Automotive News (autoNews.com):
>
> "General Motors plans to go on the offensive against Toyota with
> aggressive Chevrolet advertising."
>
> "GM will try to blunt the Toyota Camry launch in the
> spring. GM will run head-to-head comparisons between the Chevrolet
> Impala and the 2007 Camry in March, dealers said."
>
> It's a risky move to bring up a competitor in advertising,
> analysts say. But in this case it's necessary.
>
> "When you're shooting at the top guy in the market, you basically
> have nothing to lose by trying to persuade your own owners, and
> perhaps other domestic owners, that there is no reason to defect
> to Camry," said Doug Scott, industry analyst with GFK Automotive
> in Southfield, Mich.
>
> "Given Toyota's loyalty rate, it's very unlikely you will be
> persuading Camry owners or Toyota owners in general to defect the
> other way."
>
> Scott noted two challenges GM faces in squaring off against the Camry.
>
> The first would be if the new Camry turns out to be an improvement
> over the current model.
>
> The second is that the already popular Camry gets a hybrid version.
>
> Last year, Chevrolet sold 246,481 units of the Impala in the
> United States, compared with Toyota, which sold 431,703 units of
> the Camry.
>
> Scott said of the advertising: "I would recommend it on the part
> of Chevy, but in my view it's more of a defensive measure than an
> offensive measure."
>
> It will be interesting to see the tv ads. Info on the new
> '07 Camry:
>

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60224012/1003

As a Honda owner, I recently looked at the Camry as an alternative and was
impressed with what you get for the money. However, I was surprised that
in GA you are stuck whenever you buy a Toyota you must buy a $600.00 plus
paint sealant et al Toyogard package regardless. I understand that this is a
courtesy of SE Toyota distributors that dealers here must buy their Toyotas
through. Pricewise, comparing similar equipment the Toyota was a little more
expensive than a comparable Honda. Another negative in our area is the
Toyota dealership which has changed hands 4 times in the past 10 years
whereas the Honda dealer has remained under the same owner. Regarding GM
and the Impala -- I rather doubt GM management will pull this one out given
their track record. Given that Toyota and Honda successfully build cars in
the U.S. with US workers, there is no reason why GM can't succeed with the
right product. The problem hinges, in my opinion, on the vision and culture
of their management.


  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2006, 08:07 am   #8 (permalink)
Weird
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Impala VERSUS Camry

TOYOTAS SUCK

  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2006, 09:34 am   #9 (permalink)
FanJet
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Impala VERSUS Camry

Weird wrote:
> TOYOTAS SUCK


The Celica was ok.


  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2006, 10:05 am   #10 (permalink)
Art
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Impala VERSUS Camry

The Honda has a much better suspension system than the Camry. An expensive
asset you can't see or notice during a short test drive.


"tww" <twaugh5@cox.net> wrote in message
news:kDCMf.134468$0G.66050@dukeread10...
>
> "Built_Well" <bw@bbbb.com> wrote in message
> news:g5edncDS9_qOtp_ZRVn-iA@sysmatrix.net...
>> From the Automotive News (autoNews.com):
>>
>> "General Motors plans to go on the offensive against Toyota with
>> aggressive Chevrolet advertising."
>>
>> "GM will try to blunt the Toyota Camry launch in the
>> spring. GM will run head-to-head comparisons between the Chevrolet
>> Impala and the 2007 Camry in March, dealers said."
>>
>> It's a risky move to bring up a competitor in advertising,
>> analysts say. But in this case it's necessary.
>>
>> "When you're shooting at the top guy in the market, you basically
>> have nothing to lose by trying to persuade your own owners, and
>> perhaps other domestic owners, that there is no reason to defect
>> to Camry," said Doug Scott, industry analyst with GFK Automotive
>> in Southfield, Mich.
>>
>> "Given Toyota's loyalty rate, it's very unlikely you will be
>> persuading Camry owners or Toyota owners in general to defect the
>> other way."
>>
>> Scott noted two challenges GM faces in squaring off against the Camry.
>>
>> The first would be if the new Camry turns out to be an improvement
>> over the current model.
>>
>> The second is that the already popular Camry gets a hybrid version.
>>
>> Last year, Chevrolet sold 246,481 units of the Impala in the
>> United States, compared with Toyota, which sold 431,703 units of
>> the Camry.
>>
>> Scott said of the advertising: "I would recommend it on the part
>> of Chevy, but in my view it's more of a defensive measure than an
>> offensive measure."
>>
>> It will be interesting to see the tv ads. Info on the new
>> '07 Camry:
>>

> http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60224012/1003
>
> As a Honda owner, I recently looked at the Camry as an alternative and was
> impressed with what you get for the money. However, I was surprised that
> in GA you are stuck whenever you buy a Toyota you must buy a $600.00 plus
> paint sealant et al Toyogard package regardless. I understand that this is
> a
> courtesy of SE Toyota distributors that dealers here must buy their
> Toyotas
> through. Pricewise, comparing similar equipment the Toyota was a little
> more
> expensive than a comparable Honda. Another negative in our area is the
> Toyota dealership which has changed hands 4 times in the past 10 years
> whereas the Honda dealer has remained under the same owner. Regarding GM
> and the Impala -- I rather doubt GM management will pull this one out
> given
> their track record. Given that Toyota and Honda successfully build cars
> in
> the U.S. with US workers, there is no reason why GM can't succeed with the
> right product. The problem hinges, in my opinion, on the vision and
> culture
> of their management.
>
>



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.