mpg reports?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2006, 03:24 pm   #1 (permalink)
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default mpg reports?

Highway driving, I get about 30-31 mpg on my '99 Camry (68k miles), and
28-29 mpg on my '96 camry (135k miles).

Is this typical? I was really impressed by the '99 mileage (all-time
high was about 31.5+ mpg, but I suspect that was because my dad was
driving the car during that test - and he INSISTS on driving 55 mph.)
I drive about 65 mph.

Mileage on the '96 has me a bit concerned though.

Added Red-Line fuel injector cleaner (is Chevron's Techron better?),
planning on changing the spark plug wires soon.

Tests done by filling up the tank, resetting the odometer to 0.0, then
on next fill-up, recording the mileage AND gallons required to again
fill up the tank.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2006, 06:00 pm   #2 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: mpg reports?


<onehappymadman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1144441466.959176.219070@j33g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Highway driving, I get about 30-31 mpg on my '99 Camry (68k miles), and
> 28-29 mpg on my '96 camry (135k miles).
>
> Is this typical? I was really impressed by the '99 mileage (all-time
> high was about 31.5+ mpg, but I suspect that was because my dad was
> driving the car during that test - and he INSISTS on driving 55 mph.)
> I drive about 65 mph.
>
> Mileage on the '96 has me a bit concerned though.
>
> Added Red-Line fuel injector cleaner (is Chevron's Techron better?),
> planning on changing the spark plug wires soon.
>
> Tests done by filling up the tank, resetting the odometer to 0.0, then
> on next fill-up, recording the mileage AND gallons required to again
> fill up the tank.


The difference between 28-29 and 30-31 is not significant once you take into
account the age of the older car. My '96 returnsabout 30mpg using Imperial
gallons on trips. In US galls that would be about 27 or so.

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2006, 06:04 pm   #3 (permalink)
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: mpg reports?


Jason James wrote:
> <onehappymadman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1144441466.959176.219070@j33g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> > Highway driving, I get about 30-31 mpg on my '99 Camry (68k miles), and
> > 28-29 mpg on my '96 camry (135k miles).
> >
> > Is this typical? I was really impressed by the '99 mileage (all-time
> > high was about 31.5+ mpg, but I suspect that was because my dad was
> > driving the car during that test - and he INSISTS on driving 55 mph.)
> > I drive about 65 mph.
> >
> > Mileage on the '96 has me a bit concerned though.
> >
> > Added Red-Line fuel injector cleaner (is Chevron's Techron better?),
> > planning on changing the spark plug wires soon.
> >
> > Tests done by filling up the tank, resetting the odometer to 0.0, then
> > on next fill-up, recording the mileage AND gallons required to again
> > fill up the tank.

>
> The difference between 28-29 and 30-31 is not significant once you take into
> account the age of the older car. My '96 returnsabout 30mpg using Imperial
> gallons on trips. In US galls that would be about 27 or so.
>
> Jason



Is the higher mileage on the '99 due to an improved more efficient
engine design?

I got good results on a compression test on my '99 (> 180 psi per
cylinder, IIRC). What can I do to improve mileage on the older car?

At $3/gal, and driving about 13k miles/yr, that's about $135/yr lost by
using the '96... as long as upgrades aren't too expensive, I'll
consider them...

  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2006, 06:06 pm   #4 (permalink)
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: mpg reports?


onehappymad...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I got good results on a compression test on my '99 (> 180 psi per
> cylinder, IIRC). What can I do to improve mileage on the older car?


Sorry, I meant to say compression tests on my '96 (not '99) were >180
psi/cylinder...

  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2006, 08:20 pm   #5 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: mpg reports?

Compression on even New camrys are never 180lb. More like 135, at
150-165 you need high octane, at 185 only aircraft high octane. But I
dought you could get a motor to crank at 185lb. Put low octane in a
150lb motor and it will nock like crazy and ruin it fast.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2006, 09:56 pm   #6 (permalink)
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: mpg reports?


m Ransley wrote:
> Compression on even New camrys are never 180lb. More like 135, at
> 150-165 you need high octane, at 185 only aircraft high octane. But I
> dought you could get a motor to crank at 185lb. Put low octane in a
> 150lb motor and it will nock like crazy and ruin it fast.


My Haynes says the minimum cylinder pressure is 142 psi, and standard
is 178 psi.

My mechanic gave me this report:

cyl. 1: 200 psi
cyl. 2: 175 psi
cyl. 3: 190 psi
cyl. 4: 205 psi

So... what gives?

This is for my '96 camry...

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2006, 06:36 am   #7 (permalink)
jg
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: mpg reports?


<onehappymadman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1144464972.540896.76330@i40g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
>
> m Ransley wrote:
> > Compression on even New camrys are never 180lb. More like 135, at
> > 150-165 you need high octane, at 185 only aircraft high octane. But I
> > dought you could get a motor to crank at 185lb. Put low octane in a
> > 150lb motor and it will nock like crazy and ruin it fast.

>
> My Haynes says the minimum cylinder pressure is 142 psi, and standard
> is 178 psi.
>
> My mechanic gave me this report:
>
> cyl. 1: 200 psi
> cyl. 2: 175 psi
> cyl. 3: 190 psi
> cyl. 4: 205 psi
>

Mine says exactly the same ('91). Must say I am surprised, I haven't really
looked since 150 psi was fairly normal for a 6 cyl motor on higher octane
fuel. Would have to be cams & spark timing which stops it pinging, probably
explains why it idles so badly.


  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2006, 08:28 am   #8 (permalink)
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: mpg reports?


<onehappymadman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1144451068.853350.235150@g10g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>


> I got good results on a compression test on my '99 (> 180 psi per
> cylinder, IIRC). What can I do to improve mileage on the older car?
>
> At $3/gal, and driving about 13k miles/yr, that's about $135/yr lost by
> using the '96... as long as upgrades aren't too expensive, I'll
> consider them...


I don't know of any simple upgrades that really work. Maintain your
car and keep it in tune, keep the tires aired according to specifications,
don't drive with your foot on the brake pedal.

Don't waste your money on magnets and other crappola of that sort.


  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2006, 09:08 am   #9 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: mpg reports?

Ok maybe im wrong on compression ratios, I cant find an old manual with
numbers. What is the 4cil camrys Compression Ratio and relating
Compression Lb. number new. I thought lb numbers would be near 150lb.
new. Perhaps computers now allow for higher lb numbers by retarding
timing when needed.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2006, 09:16 am   #10 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: mpg reports?

The most over looked item is an old stretched timing belt, timing belts
stretch, that retards timing, my 4cil was 4 degrees retarded that amount
lost me alot of power and 3-4mpg.

A 4 cil camry is sensitive to minor adjustments, dirty contacts in the
distributor cap, old wires, old plugs, a poor oxygen sensor, 10-30 vs
5-30, old thick differential oil, dirty air filter, clogged pvc,
dragging brake or wheel bearing all add up.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.