Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2006, 12:33 am   #1 (permalink)
Father Guido
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 05:28:55 GMT, Father Guido <FG@SNL.com> wrote:

~Hi,
~
~Just wondering what might cause this. I was at a stoplight,
signalling
~right, when all of a sudden it started flashing very fast. The left
~flasher was normal. I thought maybe one bulb had died, but both front
~and back were working ok. Later (couple of hours) the right flasher
~slowed down to normal, then later sped up again. If it's not a bulb,
~I'd suspect the flasher unit, but it only affects one side and I
doubt
~there are separate flashers for each side.
~
~Any clues?
~
~Thanks,
~
~Norm

Oops, forgot to mention -- it's a '99 Camry XLE V6. Sorry
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2006, 06:23 am   #2 (permalink)
justinm930
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly

probably a bad electrical connection between the bulb and the vehicle. Try
replacing the bulbs first, and if that doesnt help, its a problem with
wiring or connections.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2006, 07:48 am   #3 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly

"justinm930" <justinm930@nomail.com> wrote in message
news:cf3e5a1b9765d93df6af52897e786df9@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
> probably a bad electrical connection between the bulb and the vehicle.
> Try
> replacing the bulbs first, and if that doesnt help, its a problem with
> wiring or connections.
>


This is a common problem that has been discussed many times in this
newsgroup. Try searching Google Group archives.

Do not replace the bulb first. There is a poor grounding of the connection
due to the flimsy connector in the socket that looses tension against the
bulb. It must be pulled up and twisted to regain stiffness and tension.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2006, 08:37 am   #4 (permalink)
Stewart DIBBS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly

"Father Guido" <FG@SNL.com> wrote in message
news:k27h32dm0tv6nm26eit9g0fomrfvsr88ko@4ax.com...
> ..., when all of a sudden it started flashing very fast.


Look for bad grounds in the RH rear tail lamp assemby. Turn on the tail
lamps, and hit the brake. Does the brake light appear dimmer than the LH
side?

SJD


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2006, 09:16 am   #5 (permalink)
Clay
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly

My mother has the same year and model Camry. She had the same problem.
I removed the bulb and cleaned everything up. It worked for awhile
but started to act up again.
This time I put di-electric grease on the bulb base and everything
functioned properly. This has been over a year ago and all is well.
I now coat all bulb bases with di-electric grease.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2006, 12:32 pm   #6 (permalink)
Bruce L. Bergman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly

On 9 Apr 2006 07:16:33 -0700, "Clay" <claytonjaystory@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>My mother has the same year and model Camry. She had the same problem.
> I removed the bulb and cleaned everything up. It worked for awhile
>but started to act up again.
>This time I put di-electric grease on the bulb base and everything
>functioned properly. This has been over a year ago and all is well.
>I now coat all bulb bases with di-electric grease.


That's the true solution... Your car should have had the grease
applied from the factory - but people clean it up thinking it
shouldn't be there. Ask at a good auto parts for corrosion
preventative electrical grease, they may have to order it in from the
warehouse. Not expensive, maybe $6. I got the Truck-Lite grease, it
comes in a half-pint paint can that'll last you for decades.

Even if the lamp is lighting up, if it has a bad ground the power
goes through the 'turn' filament, then it goes backwards through the
'tail' filament and finds it's way to ground through the other tail
lights.

The current through the tail filaments is lower, and the low current
trips the flasher into the 'lamp out warning' fast flash mode. Only
takes one lamp out to do this if they sized the flasher right.

--<< Bruce >>--

--
Bruce L. Bergman, Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) CA - Desktop
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Spamtrapped address: Remove the python and the invalid, and use a net.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2006, 08:13 pm   #7 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly

"Bruce L. Bergman" <blPYTHONbergman@earthlink.invalid> wrote in message
> That's the true solution... Your car should have had the grease
> applied from the factory - but people clean it up thinking it
> shouldn't be there. Ask at a good auto parts for corrosion
> preventative electrical grease, they may have to order it in from the
> warehouse. Not expensive, maybe $6. I got the Truck-Lite grease, it
> comes in a half-pint paint can that'll last you for decades.
>
>> --<< Bruce >>--


I respectfully disagree. The problem is that the metal contact strip in the
socket that acts as the ground is too thin and looses it pressure against
the bulb. By pulling up and twisting the contact you will restore the
pressure and the bulb will function normally.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2006, 01:39 am   #8 (permalink)
Father Guido
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 19:13:02 -0600, "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com>
wrote:

~"Bruce L. Bergman" <blPYTHONbergman@earthlink.invalid> wrote in
message
~> That's the true solution... Your car should have had the grease
~> applied from the factory - but people clean it up thinking it
~> shouldn't be there. Ask at a good auto parts for corrosion
~> preventative electrical grease, they may have to order it in from
the
~> warehouse. Not expensive, maybe $6. I got the Truck-Lite grease,
it
~> comes in a half-pint paint can that'll last you for decades.
~>
~>> --<< Bruce >>--
~
~I respectfully disagree. The problem is that the metal contact strip
in the
~socket that acts as the ground is too thin and looses it pressure
against
~the bulb. By pulling up and twisting the contact you will restore the
~pressure and the bulb will function normally.
~

Thanks for the tips guys. I will pull up the contact (like the old
Christmas lights) and put some vasoline on the contacts and screw the
bulbs back in.

Thanks again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2006, 11:33 am   #9 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly


"Father Guido" <FG@SNL.com> wrote in message
news:frjm32t38rgmhf126l381pdvggloknqvt2@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 19:13:02 -0600, "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
> ~"Bruce L. Bergman" <blPYTHONbergman@earthlink.invalid> wrote in
> message
> ~> That's the true solution... Your car should have had the grease
> ~> applied from the factory - but people clean it up thinking it
> ~> shouldn't be there. Ask at a good auto parts for corrosion
> ~> preventative electrical grease, they may have to order it in from
> the
> ~> warehouse. Not expensive, maybe $6. I got the Truck-Lite grease,
> it
> ~> comes in a half-pint paint can that'll last you for decades.
> ~>
> ~>> --<< Bruce >>--
> ~
> ~I respectfully disagree. The problem is that the metal contact strip
> in the
> ~socket that acts as the ground is too thin and looses it pressure
> against
> ~the bulb. By pulling up and twisting the contact you will restore the
> ~pressure and the bulb will function normally.
> ~
>
> Thanks for the tips guys. I will pull up the contact (like the old
> Christmas lights) and put some vasoline on the contacts and screw the
> bulbs back in.
>
> Thanks again!


I would not use Vaseline on the contacts because it can deteriorate rubber.
The best stuff to use is dielectric grease, available at auto parts stores,
or WD-40.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2006, 11:54 pm   #10 (permalink)
Father Guido
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: One signal flashing faster than the other suddenly

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:33:41 -0500, "Ray O"
<rokigawa@tristarassociatesDOTcomn> wrote:

~
~"Father Guido" <FG@SNL.com> wrote in message

~> Thanks for the tips guys. I will pull up the contact (like the old
~> Christmas lights) and put some vasoline on the contacts and screw
~> the bulbs back in.
~>
~> Thanks again!
~
~I would not use Vaseline on the contacts because it can deteriorate
~rubber. The best stuff to use is dielectric grease, available at auto
~parts stores, or WD-40.

OK, thanks -- WD-40 it is then.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.