12V solar battery charger for $10

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2006, 06:50 pm   #1 (permalink)
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 12V solar battery charger for $10

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44768

Would this help the battery / alternator last longer?

  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2006, 09:01 pm   #2 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 12V solar battery charger for $10

It wont help anything unless you let the car sit undriven for weeks or
more without driving much.

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2006, 10:41 am   #3 (permalink)
Travis Jordan
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 12V solar battery charger for $10

m Ransley wrote:
> It wont help anything unless you let the car sit undriven for weeks or
> more without driving much.


and in many of today's vehicles the cigarette lighter connection is
disconnected when the ignition switch is off....


  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2006, 11:39 am   #4 (permalink)
onehappymadman@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 12V solar battery charger for $10


Travis Jordan wrote:
> m Ransley wrote:
> > It wont help anything unless you let the car sit undriven for weeks or
> > more without driving much.

>
> and in many of today's vehicles the cigarette lighter connection is
> disconnected when the ignition switch is off....


Very good point!

I guess it could charge a jumpstart battery though... I've got one
(long story).

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2006, 05:54 pm   #5 (permalink)
davidj92
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 12V solar battery charger for $10

onehappymadman@yahoo.com wrote:
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44768
>
> Would this help the battery / alternator last longer?


A constant current flow through any lead-acid battery shortens it's life.
Every time you deep cycle and charge or jump start it, you take a little of
it's life and take a chance on damaging it. They do make a battery
maintainer, in both electric and solar, that shuts off completely when a
battery is full charged but should only be needed on a vehicle battery if
it's not going to be driven for extended periods.
HTH, Dave


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.