Kirkland (Costco) Battery

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2010, 11:21 am   #1 (permalink)
Wes
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Kirkland (Costco) Battery

I have a question about Kirkland brand battery for Camry (the
replacement seems to fit lots of Toyota models: 24F type, Costco
replacement number 8). This morning my 2005 Camry (4 cyl) could not
start, it started on boost from another car, so I have assumed the
battery needs to be changed. On Sunday our Toyota dealer is closed,
so next choice was Costco - Kirkland brand. After replacing the
battery everything seems to be fine. They have 3 year replacement
policy (Ontario-Canada - cold winters), so I think this is pretty
good. Any opinions as to the general quality of this particular brand?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2010, 12:35 pm   #2 (permalink)
ED
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Kirkland (Costco) Battery


"Wes" <wbraczko@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:e8ef9c8d-6746-4173-944e-ba61d86e011b@u7g2000vbq.googlegroups.com...
>I have a question about Kirkland brand battery for Camry (the
> replacement seems to fit lots of Toyota models: 24F type, Costco
> replacement number 8). This morning my 2005 Camry (4 cyl) could not
> start, it started on boost from another car, so I have assumed the
> battery needs to be changed. On Sunday our Toyota dealer is closed,
> so next choice was Costco - Kirkland brand. After replacing the
> battery everything seems to be fine. They have 3 year replacement
> policy (Ontario-Canada - cold winters), so I think this is pretty
> good. Any opinions as to the general quality of this particular brand?


It appears you should have replaced your battery with a Kirkland
Group size 35 per:
http://www.autobatteries.com/selecto...ear=20&brand=7


  Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2010, 12:52 pm   #3 (permalink)
dsi1
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Kirkland (Costco) Battery

On 5/16/2010 6:21 AM, Wes wrote:
> I have a question about Kirkland brand battery for Camry (the
> replacement seems to fit lots of Toyota models: 24F type, Costco
> replacement number 8). This morning my 2005 Camry (4 cyl) could not
> start, it started on boost from another car, so I have assumed the
> battery needs to be changed. On Sunday our Toyota dealer is closed,
> so next choice was Costco - Kirkland brand. After replacing the
> battery everything seems to be fine. They have 3 year replacement
> policy (Ontario-Canada - cold winters), so I think this is pretty
> good. Any opinions as to the general quality of this particular brand?


I like to buy Kirkland batteries. They're dirt cheap and work fine.
OTOH, I live in the tropics so I can't say how they do in cold weather.
You'll find out soon enough. My guess is that you'll have no problem. If
the thing dies in a couple of years, just buy another one. They're cheap
enough.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 06:05 am   #4 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Kirkland (Costco) Battery

On May 16, 11:21*am, Wes <wbrac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question about Kirkland brand battery for Camry (the
> replacement seems to fit lots of Toyota models: 24F type, Costco
> replacement number 8). *This morning my 2005 Camry (4 cyl) could not
> start, it started on boost from another car, so I have assumed the
> battery needs to be changed. *On Sunday our Toyota dealer is closed,
> so next choice was Costco - Kirkland brand. *After replacing the
> battery everything seems to be fine. *They have 3 year replacement
> policy (Ontario-Canada - cold winters), so I think this is pretty
> good. *Any opinions as to the general quality of this particular brand?


Its possible just the terminals were dirty or loose, thats why you
test a battery.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 10:53 am   #5 (permalink)
Wes
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Kirkland (Costco) Battery

On May 17, 7:05*am, ransley <Mark_Rans...@Yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 16, 11:21*am, Wes <wbrac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a question about Kirkland brand battery for Camry (the
> > replacement seems to fit lots of Toyota models: 24F type, Costco
> > replacement number 8). *This morning my 2005 Camry (4 cyl) could not
> > start, it started on boost from another car, so I have assumed the
> > battery needs to be changed. *On Sunday our Toyota dealer is closed,
> > so next choice was Costco - Kirkland brand. *After replacing the
> > battery everything seems to be fine. *They have 3 year replacement
> > policy (Ontario-Canada - cold winters), so I think this is pretty
> > good. *Any opinions as to the general quality of this particular brand?

>
> Its possible just the terminals were dirty or loose, thats why you
> test a battery.


Yes, I did test it during faulty startup. The voltage was dropping at
the battery terminal to ~4 volts, at this voltage, I guess the starter
has not been able to turn. I do not have a special equipment to test
the battery.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 11:43 am   #6 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Kirkland (Costco) Battery

Wes wrote:

>I have a question about Kirkland brand battery for Camry (the
>replacement seems to fit lots of Toyota models: 24F type, Costco
>replacement number 8). This morning my 2005 Camry (4 cyl) could not
>start, it started on boost from another car, so I have assumed the
>battery needs to be changed. On Sunday our Toyota dealer is closed,
>so next choice was Costco - Kirkland brand. After replacing the
>battery everything seems to be fine. They have 3 year replacement
>policy (Ontario-Canada - cold winters), so I think this is pretty
>good. Any opinions as to the general quality of this particular
>brand?


These people say "Costco is currently supplied by Interstate, which
makes superb deep cycle batteries. "

http://www.bestcovery.com/kirkland-s...re-car-battery

--
"Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." ~ Tobias George Smolett
  Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2010, 09:42 pm   #7 (permalink)
john
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Kirkland (Costco) Battery

Johnson Controls makes these batteries. They are excellent. However, I
do prefer the AC Delco Maintenance Free. But they're harder to find. I
didn't realize Costco restocked the 24F, I thought they were the
smaller Group 35. But I haven't looked at them for a while.

You can let Autozone test your charging system as well. The alternator
brushes may need replacing after many years. Johnson Controls also
makes the Duralast/DL-Gold batteries at Autozone.


On May 17, 8:53*am, Wes <wbrac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I did test it during faulty startup. *The voltage was dropping at
> the battery terminal to ~4 volts, at this voltage, I guess the starter
> has not been able to turn. *I do not have a special equipment to test
> the battery.


  Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2010, 08:47 am   #8 (permalink)
Wes
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Kirkland (Costco) Battery

On May 21, 10:42*pm, john <johngd...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Johnson Controls makes these batteries. They are excellent. However, I
> do prefer the AC Delco Maintenance Free. But they're harder to find. I
> didn't realize Costco restocked the 24F, I thought they were the
> smaller Group 35. But I haven't looked at them for a while.
>
> You can let Autozone test your charging system as well. The alternator
> brushes may need replacing after many years. Johnson Controls also
> makes the Duralast/DL-Gold batteries at Autozone.
>
> On May 17, 8:53*am, Wes <wbrac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I did test it during faulty startup. *The voltage was dropping at
> > the battery terminal to ~4 volts, at this voltage, I guess the starter
> > has not been able to turn. *I do not have a special equipment to test
> > the battery.


I guess it gets a little confusing with all the numbers:
- 24F is the type stamped on the original Camry battery (i do not
remember any other numbers, since the battery is already disposed)
- in Costco Kirkland catalog the replacement for 24F is number 8
(stamped on the Kirkland battery)
- the size stamped on Kirkland battery is in fact 35 - it is a little
smaller than original Toyota 24F
  Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2010, 12:46 pm   #9 (permalink)
john
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Kirkland (Costco) Battery

Many stores think they're helping the consumers by using simplified
numbers instead of approved Group numbers by Battery Council
International (BCI).

Groups 35 and 34 are smaller batteries. So if your car can take a 24F,
I'd get the Duralast Gold battery from Autozone. It has very good
performance numbers and an 8yr prorated/3yr replacement warranty. It's
about $90. The mid-grade Duralast is about $80 with 8yr/3yr warranty.I
wouldn't go less than that (Valucraft).

Duralast Gold:
935CA, 750CCA, 130min reserve capacity




On May 22, 6:47*am, Wes <wbrac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess it gets a little confusing with all the numbers:
> - 24F is the type stamped on the original Camry battery (i do not
> remember any other numbers, since the battery is already disposed)
> - in Costco Kirkland catalog the replacement for 24F is number 8
> (stamped on the Kirkland battery)
> - the size stamped on Kirkland battery is in fact 35 - it is a little
> smaller than original Toyota 24F


  Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2010, 09:55 am   #10 (permalink)
hls
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Kirkland (Costco) Battery


"john" <johngdole@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e035a912-0f0c-46bc-90c6-772d04810cbb@j36g2000prj.googlegroups.com...
Many stores think they're helping the consumers by using simplified
numbers instead of approved Group numbers by Battery Council
International (BCI).

Groups 35 and 34 are smaller batteries. So if your car can take a 24F,
I'd get the Duralast Gold battery from Autozone. It has very good
performance numbers and an 8yr prorated/3yr replacement warranty. It's
about $90. The mid-grade Duralast is about $80 with 8yr/3yr warranty.I
wouldn't go less than that (Valucraft).

Duralast Gold:
935CA, 750CCA, 130min reserve capacity



******
Do you know who really makes these batteries? I have never used one
of them, and have no experience with them.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.