2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2006, 10:22 am   #1 (permalink)
loser_ast@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....

Hi I've got a 2001 Toyota Camry LE and it rides great for the most
part. The one problem I have is there appears to be a whining sound
coming from the steering wheel or column. It consistenty happens when
I turn and drives me crazy. I don't notice it so much if I make a 45
degree turn as much as 90 degree turns. I would not consider it a
squeaking sound. Any ideas guys???

Thanks!!!

  Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2006, 01:10 pm   #2 (permalink)
loser_ast@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....

A little bit of an update I guess. I can hear it from the column under
the hood as it heads down towards the tires I really can't tell for
sure where it is loudest. It is tough to pinpoint.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2006, 01:47 pm   #3 (permalink)
timbirr@mailcity.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....

An obvious questin, but have you checked the PS fluid?

  Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2006, 07:21 pm   #4 (permalink)
JJ
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....

I had this problem with my 01. It was under warranty and I took it to the
dealer. It was a known problem and required a little grease somewhere on
the columne (close to where it goes thru the firewall I think).
<loser_ast@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1147274555.663393.122790@g10g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi I've got a 2001 Toyota Camry LE and it rides great for the most
> part. The one problem I have is there appears to be a whining sound
> coming from the steering wheel or column. It consistenty happens when
> I turn and drives me crazy. I don't notice it so much if I make a 45
> degree turn as much as 90 degree turns. I would not consider it a
> squeaking sound. Any ideas guys???
>
> Thanks!!!
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2006, 08:16 pm   #5 (permalink)
Bartramo25@msn.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....

yes it seems as if all Camrys/ like cars make that squeek. Funny noise
really lol. A little grease on the coloumn under the boot before it
goes into the firewall. This is an example of one thing that is a
common problem. Normally with Toyota service there aren't common
problems and the techs have to dig much deeper to find the root of the
problem

  Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 07:28 am   #6 (permalink)
loser_ast@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....

Ok guys well I'm having my mechanic check it out today I HOPE and PRAY
that it is just that spot needing greased near the firewall that you
guys are talking about. I'm no car person that's for sure but I
checked the power steering fluid and it seemed fine. I will let you
guys know the outcome.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 02:25 pm   #7 (permalink)
skewe
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....

get some white grease or marine grease

that will solve ur problem fast.


---------------------------------------
Golf Deals, Golf Product reviews and more
http://www.golfer-review.com

  Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2006, 08:26 pm   #8 (permalink)
loser_ast@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....


loser_ast@hotmail.com wrote:
> Ok guys well I'm having my mechanic check it out today I HOPE and PRAY
> that it is just that spot needing greased near the firewall that you
> guys are talking about. I'm no car person that's for sure but I
> checked the power steering fluid and it seemed fine. I will let you
> guys know the outcome.


Well the mechanic I took it to today said it was the rack and pinsor
and said he could fix it for like 900$. I decided to get a 2nd opinion
and took it to another mechanic now that one of my friends recommended.
This new mechanic doesn't think it is the rack and pinsor just yet but
won't have more time to look at it until tomorrow. I will keep u guys
informed.

  Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2006, 04:52 am   #9 (permalink)
jg
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....


<loser_ast@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1147397200.827221.271630@g10g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>
> loser_ast@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Ok guys well I'm having my mechanic check it out today I HOPE and PRAY
> > that it is just that spot needing greased near the firewall that you
> > guys are talking about. I'm no car person that's for sure but I
> > checked the power steering fluid and it seemed fine. I will let you
> > guys know the outcome.

>
> Well the mechanic I took it to today said it was the rack and pinsor
> and said he could fix it for like 900$. I decided to get a 2nd opinion
> and took it to another mechanic now that one of my friends recommended.
> This new mechanic doesn't think it is the rack and pinsor just yet but
> won't have more time to look at it until tomorrow. I will keep u guys
> informed.
>

Between where the steering column exits the firewall and meets the rack,
there is a universal joint - most cars have the same and they dry out and
need a little oil or spray lubricant. It will be that, the belt slipping or
the pump (in that order). It's least likely to be the rack specially at 5
years old. You're car person enough to smell a creative mechanic!


  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 01:45 pm   #10 (permalink)
loser_ast@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....

I actually printed this page out and gave it to the 2nd mechanic. I'm
not sure if he needed it or not but it ended up being that joint near
the firewall that needed lubrication. I just wanna thank everyone who
responded to this post!!!!!

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.