18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2006, 08:55 am   #1 (permalink)
tron9901@msn.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

I'm in the chicago area and I'm looking to buy this car from a local
Toyota dealer:

2003 Camry SE Sedan 4 DR
2.4L L4 EFI DOHC 16V
Mileage: 49,600
Asking price: $14,995
Negotiated price: $14,100

The Carfax report stated that the vehicle has had one owner, was
registered as a personal vehicle in the chicago area. No problem there.
Only thing is, the car has been in service for 2 years and 9 months,
and has 49,600 miles on it. That's 1503 miles a month; 18,036 miles a
year.

The interior and exterior are in excellent shape. The engine looks,
sounds and performs just fine. The car handles and rides just fine. I
know Camry's are legendary for their reliability and long life - that's
why I'm getting one - but is this mileage too high? I'm of the
understanding that anything over 15,000 miles a year is considered
high. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 10:02 am   #2 (permalink)
Hopkins
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

18k per year is higher than normal, but not necessarily excessive.

Often high miles in a short timespan means a lot of highway miles,
which are easier than stop-and-go city driving. But this car seems to
have been used for a long commute...

Average 5 day work week
x 4 1/3 weeks per month
------------------------------------
= 21 2/3 workdays per month

1503 miles/month ÷ 21 2/3 workdays/month = 69+ miles per day

  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 10:08 am   #3 (permalink)
Floyd Rogers
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

<tron9901@msn.com> wrote
> The Carfax report stated that the vehicle has had one owner, was
> registered as a personal vehicle in the chicago area. No problem there.
> Only thing is, the car has been in service for 2 years and 9 months,
> and has 49,600 miles on it. That's 1503 miles a month; 18,036 miles a
> year.
>
> The interior and exterior are in excellent shape. The engine looks,
> sounds and performs just fine. The car handles and rides just fine. I
> know Camry's are legendary for their reliability and long life - that's
> why I'm getting one - but is this mileage too high? I'm of the
> understanding that anything over 15,000 miles a year is considered
> high. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.


That's about what I have put on my car. Usually with that many
miles, much of it will be highway miles which are generally easier
on the drivetrain than city miles. I wouldn't worry about the miles,
but the maintenance (which you can't get from the report) - you
might ask the dealer for the records.

FloydR


  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 10:17 am   #4 (permalink)
Hopkins
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

>>I wouldn't worry about the miles, but the maintenance (which you can't get from the report) - you might ask the dealer for the records. <<

Good point I omitted. Maintenance records are a definite plus.

  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 10:22 am   #5 (permalink)
Hopkins
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

I should add that no, I don't think every single mile was in commuting
to work.
The mileage is on the high side, but shouldn't be a concern.

  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 10:36 am   #6 (permalink)
n5hsr
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

"Hopkins" <nasibisha@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1147532552.087429.278310@g10g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
18k per year is higher than normal, but not necessarily excessive.

Often high miles in a short timespan means a lot of highway miles,
which are easier than stop-and-go city driving. But this car seems to
have been used for a long commute...

Average 5 day work week
x 4 1/3 weeks per month
------------------------------------
= 21 2/3 workdays per month

1503 miles/month ÷ 21 2/3 workdays/month = 69+ miles per day

I was doing 180 miles a day for a while, then 90. Now I only do the 90 on
the weekends.


  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 11:02 am   #7 (permalink)
Scott en Aztlán
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

18,000 miles per year is high for ANY car.
--
What the heck, I'll play too.
- Dave
  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 11:04 am   #8 (permalink)
Dave Head
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

49.6K miles on a car less than 3 yrs old... is still a great buy. These cars
are likely to be reliable past 200,000 miles, so if you think that this mileage
is high, that must mean you drive a lot less than this. That means this car is
likely gonna last you a really long time.

Dave Head

On 13 May 2006 06:55:26 -0700, tron9901@msn.com wrote:

>I'm in the chicago area and I'm looking to buy this car from a local
>Toyota dealer:
>
>2003 Camry SE Sedan 4 DR
>2.4L L4 EFI DOHC 16V
>Mileage: 49,600
>Asking price: $14,995
>Negotiated price: $14,100
>
>The Carfax report stated that the vehicle has had one owner, was
>registered as a personal vehicle in the chicago area. No problem there.
>Only thing is, the car has been in service for 2 years and 9 months,
>and has 49,600 miles on it. That's 1503 miles a month; 18,036 miles a
>year.
>
>The interior and exterior are in excellent shape. The engine looks,
>sounds and performs just fine. The car handles and rides just fine. I
>know Camry's are legendary for their reliability and long life - that's
>why I'm getting one - but is this mileage too high? I'm of the
>understanding that anything over 15,000 miles a year is considered
>high. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 12:05 pm   #9 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

As long as it wasnt a rental its ok, be sure of the original owner.

  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 12:08 pm   #10 (permalink)
Dave
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 18,000 miles/year - is that high for a 2003 Camry?

> I'm in the chicago area and I'm looking to buy this car from a local
> Toyota dealer:
>
> 2003 Camry SE Sedan 4 DR
> 2.4L L4 EFI DOHC 16V
> Mileage: 49,600
> Asking price: $14,995
> Negotiated price: $14,100



Ummm . . . it was probably sold new in 2002. That's about 12K per year,
which is actually LOW miles. -Dave



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.