1999 Camry V6 120k miles - watch for??

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2006, 10:12 am   #1 (permalink)
Dean
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 1999 Camry V6 120k miles - watch for??

I have a chance to pick up a 1999 Camry LE V6 with 120k miles pretty
reasonably. Body is just OK, but the car runs and drives beautifully.

The seller offers that I can take the car to my mechanic for a look-over.

What in particular should I advise the mechanic to look for?

Thanks, Dean


  Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2006, 10:57 am   #2 (permalink)
JJ
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 Camry V6 120k miles - watch for??

If the mechanic is any good, he'll know what to look for. If he doesn't,
then take it to a different mechanic.
"Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:LNH9g.1030$rT5.855@trndny04...
>I have a chance to pick up a 1999 Camry LE V6 with 120k miles pretty
>reasonably. Body is just OK, but the car runs and drives beautifully.
>
> The seller offers that I can take the car to my mechanic for a look-over.
>
> What in particular should I advise the mechanic to look for?
>
> Thanks, Dean
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2006, 04:24 pm   #3 (permalink)
Dean
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 Camry V6 120k miles - watch for??

Generally, you have a point, but I know from owning Toyotas in the past that
they are prone to weird things that aren't usually a problem in other cars,
and model-specific problems to boot.

I remember some kind of $300 idle-air valve on my previous 1999 Camry
(4cyl), as well as strut mounts.

I guess I want to know if there are things that even a good mechanic might
not see, but that are troublesome on 1999 6 cyl Camrys. I don't want to play
a guessing game.

Thanks,
Dean
___________________________________________--
"JJ" <jjthenovice@aol.com> wrote in message
news:VPydnX4gLI4ezvrZnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> If the mechanic is any good, he'll know what to look for. If he doesn't,
> then take it to a different mechanic.
> "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:LNH9g.1030$rT5.855@trndny04...
>>I have a chance to pick up a 1999 Camry LE V6 with 120k miles pretty
>>reasonably. Body is just OK, but the car runs and drives beautifully.
>>
>> The seller offers that I can take the car to my mechanic for a look-over.
>>
>> What in particular should I advise the mechanic to look for?
>>
>> Thanks, Dean
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2006, 05:08 pm   #4 (permalink)
JJ
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 Camry V6 120k miles - watch for??

Take it to a Toyota Dealer and let them check it out.

"Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:_dN9g.1147$cl5.1112@trndny07...
> Generally, you have a point, but I know from owning Toyotas in the past
> that they are prone to weird things that aren't usually a problem in other
> cars, and model-specific problems to boot.
>
> I remember some kind of $300 idle-air valve on my previous 1999 Camry
> (4cyl), as well as strut mounts.
>
> I guess I want to know if there are things that even a good mechanic might
> not see, but that are troublesome on 1999 6 cyl Camrys. I don't want to
> play a guessing game.
>
> Thanks,
> Dean
> ___________________________________________--
> "JJ" <jjthenovice@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:VPydnX4gLI4ezvrZnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> If the mechanic is any good, he'll know what to look for. If he doesn't,
>> then take it to a different mechanic.
>> "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:LNH9g.1030$rT5.855@trndny04...
>>>I have a chance to pick up a 1999 Camry LE V6 with 120k miles pretty
>>>reasonably. Body is just OK, but the car runs and drives beautifully.
>>>
>>> The seller offers that I can take the car to my mechanic for a
>>> look-over.
>>>
>>> What in particular should I advise the mechanic to look for?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Dean
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2006, 08:21 am   #5 (permalink)
Wolfgang
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 Camry V6 120k miles - watch for??

And hand them $300 for the check up!

"JJ" <jjthenovice@aol.com> wrote in message
news:rsednVHp_e7JN_rZnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Take it to a Toyota Dealer and let them check it out.
>
> "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:_dN9g.1147$cl5.1112@trndny07...
>> Generally, you have a point, but I know from owning Toyotas in the past
>> that they are prone to weird things that aren't usually a problem in
>> other cars, and model-specific problems to boot.
>>
>> I remember some kind of $300 idle-air valve on my previous 1999 Camry
>> (4cyl), as well as strut mounts.
>>
>> I guess I want to know if there are things that even a good mechanic
>> might not see, but that are troublesome on 1999 6 cyl Camrys. I don't
>> want to play a guessing game.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dean
>> ___________________________________________--
>> "JJ" <jjthenovice@aol.com> wrote in message
>> news:VPydnX4gLI4ezvrZnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>> If the mechanic is any good, he'll know what to look for. If he
>>> doesn't, then take it to a different mechanic.
>>> "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:LNH9g.1030$rT5.855@trndny04...
>>>>I have a chance to pick up a 1999 Camry LE V6 with 120k miles pretty
>>>>reasonably. Body is just OK, but the car runs and drives beautifully.
>>>>
>>>> The seller offers that I can take the car to my mechanic for a
>>>> look-over.
>>>>
>>>> What in particular should I advise the mechanic to look for?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks, Dean
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2006, 04:02 am   #6 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 Camry V6 120k miles - watch for??


"Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:LNH9g.1030$rT5.855@trndny04...
> I have a chance to pick up a 1999 Camry LE V6 with 120k miles pretty
> reasonably. Body is just OK, but the car runs and drives beautifully.
>
> The seller offers that I can take the car to my mechanic for a look-over.
>
> What in particular should I advise the mechanic to look for?


You can do most if not all, of it yourself

If the car drives quietly without any noises or vibrations, including slow
left and right "U" turns (tests CV joints) and there is no sludge in the
cam-cover (insert fingerin oil-fill hole, scrape around under cover) or
rusty gunk in the radiator (same finger test) and there are no oil leaks or
wetness under the engine/transmission,plus the disks look reasonable with
only slight scoring (at that mileage there'll be some)..you are 9/10ths of
the way there...ohh and check down the front of the brake-booster under the
master-cylinder for brake-fluid leaks (if so, needs a seal kit or a reco)

Jason


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.