Advice needed on Timing belt/120K maint for 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2006, 09:20 am   #1 (permalink)
alja78
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Advice needed on Timing belt/120K maint for 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6

Hi :
I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 3.0L V6 with 120, 000 miles. The dealer
quoted me $475 to get it replaced.
Is this the normal cost to replace a timing belt (it looks a bit too
excessive to me)?

Also, I was wondering what happens if I don't replace this belt? (It
was last replaced at 60K miles). Has it known to snap, and if that
happens, will it damage the engine?

Currently, I am scheduled for 120K maintenance on Wednesday, and I have
no clue
Deeply appreciate your advice and any info you can provide any info on
this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Al

  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2006, 09:27 am   #2 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Advice needed on Timing belt/120K maint for 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6

alja78, 6/12/2006, 10:20:48 AM,
<1150122048.751631.118750@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups .com> wrote:

> Hi :
> I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 3.0L V6 with 120, 000 miles. The dealer
> quoted me $475 to get it replaced.
> Is this the normal cost to replace a timing belt (it looks a bit too
> excessive to me)?
>
> Also, I was wondering what happens if I don't replace this belt? (It
> was last replaced at 60K miles). Has it known to snap, and if that
> happens, will it damage the engine?
>
> Currently, I am scheduled for 120K maintenance on Wednesday, and I
> have no clue
> Deeply appreciate your advice and any info you can provide any info on
> this issue.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Al


My understanding is the six-cylinder timing belt is replaced at 90K
miles, check your manual. The price quoted may reflect water pump or
other components needed. If the belt breaks you will require a tow to
someplace. Engine is non-interference so it should survive. I had my
2000 Sienna's timing belt and two more belts replaced at dealer for
under $300. They told me water pump and pulleys were fine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2006, 07:27 pm   #3 (permalink)
mack
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Advice needed on Timing belt/120K maint for 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6


"alja78" <alja78@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1150122048.751631.118750@c74g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi :
> I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 3.0L V6 with 120, 000 miles. The dealer
> quoted me $475 to get it replaced.
> Is this the normal cost to replace a timing belt (it looks a bit too
> excessive to me)?


This sounds like about double what you'd pay at a GOOD independent mechanic,
and the job might be better done by the independent, since he knows you and
what your name is and what you look like. (None of which can be said for
the dealer's mechanic....he has no idea who you are ...it's just another job
to him. )
Yes, it might be a good idea to replace the water pump while the engine is
semi-torn down...saves on another round of labor charge sooner or later when
the pump fails.
>
> Also, I was wondering what happens if I don't replace this belt? (It
> was last replaced at 60K miles). Has it known to snap, and if that
> happens, will it damage the engine?


Sure it can snap, which could happen at 5000 miles after replacement or
75000 miles. It's a crap shoot, and you may be lucky enough to get another
couple of years out of your present belt, but if you'd sooner not be towed
from a country road seventeen miles from Cornplaster, Iowa at 10 PM, it
would add to your peace of mind to replace it.


>
> Currently, I am scheduled for 120K maintenance on Wednesday, and I have
> no clue
> Deeply appreciate your advice and any info you can provide any info on
> this issue.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Al
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:26 pm   #4 (permalink)
cmuller
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Advice needed on Timing belt/120K maint for 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6

Had the timing belt(second ) crank and cam seal,water pump and oil pump
outer O rings that was leaking for aroung $660 from local guy. If that part
of the engine is already apart, might as well replace what may soon go bad.
"mack" <mackerel@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
news:128s1kiic6i0fe9@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "alja78" <alja78@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:1150122048.751631.118750@c74g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
>> Hi :
>> I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 3.0L V6 with 120, 000 miles. The dealer
>> quoted me $475 to get it replaced.
>> Is this the normal cost to replace a timing belt (it looks a bit too
>> excessive to me)?

>
> This sounds like about double what you'd pay at a GOOD independent
> mechanic, and the job might be better done by the independent, since he
> knows you and what your name is and what you look like. (None of which
> can be said for the dealer's mechanic....he has no idea who you are
> ...it's just another job to him. )
> Yes, it might be a good idea to replace the water pump while the engine is
> semi-torn down...saves on another round of labor charge sooner or later
> when the pump fails.
>>
>> Also, I was wondering what happens if I don't replace this belt? (It
>> was last replaced at 60K miles). Has it known to snap, and if that
>> happens, will it damage the engine?

>
> Sure it can snap, which could happen at 5000 miles after replacement or
> 75000 miles. It's a crap shoot, and you may be lucky enough to get
> another couple of years out of your present belt, but if you'd sooner not
> be towed from a country road seventeen miles from Cornplaster, Iowa at 10
> PM, it would add to your peace of mind to replace it.
>
>
>>
>> Currently, I am scheduled for 120K maintenance on Wednesday, and I have
>> no clue
>> Deeply appreciate your advice and any info you can provide any info on
>> this issue.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Al
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2006, 07:33 am   #5 (permalink)
Stubby
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Advice needed on Timing belt/120K maint for 2000 Toyota CamryLE V6

The fliers in this area (Boston) advertise $229 for a 4 cylinder timing
belt job from any of the Toyota dealers. I've heard/read that Toyota
motors are now able to tolerate a broken timing belt without damage, but
of course your car won't run after the break.


alja78 wrote:
> Hi :
> I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 3.0L V6 with 120, 000 miles. The dealer
> quoted me $475 to get it replaced.
> Is this the normal cost to replace a timing belt (it looks a bit too
> excessive to me)?
>
> Also, I was wondering what happens if I don't replace this belt? (It
> was last replaced at 60K miles). Has it known to snap, and if that
> happens, will it damage the engine?
>
> Currently, I am scheduled for 120K maintenance on Wednesday, and I have
> no clue
> Deeply appreciate your advice and any info you can provide any info on
> this issue.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Al
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2006, 12:57 pm   #6 (permalink)
Andy Hill
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Advice needed on Timing belt/120K maint for 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6

"alja78" <alja78@aol.com> wrote:
>I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 3.0L V6 with 120, 000 miles. The dealer
>quoted me $475 to get it replaced.
>Is this the normal cost to replace a timing belt (it looks a bit too
>excessive to me)?
>
>Also, I was wondering what happens if I don't replace this belt? (It
>was last replaced at 60K miles). Has it known to snap, and if that
>happens, will it damage the engine?
>
>Currently, I am scheduled for 120K maintenance on Wednesday, and I have
>no clue
>Deeply appreciate your advice and any info you can provide any info on
>this issue.
>

Sounds like a typical price from a dealer to me (i.e., too high compared an
independent mechanic). Also, the service interval for the 2000 model year V6
timing belts is 90K miles (and even that's pessimistic, IMHO), so if it's
already been replaced once, you're good to go for a bit.

The engine is non-interference, so if the belt breaks, the engine stops and you
get towed to a mechanic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2006, 09:28 pm   #7 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Advice needed on Timing belt/120K maint for 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6

Coupon price for just the timing belt is usually $250 or so for the V6.
What the dealer does is get you in with that coupon, and then slap you
with the water pump, oil seals, valve cover gaskets, both the idler and
tensioner pulleys and you are looking at an additional $600-800. Some
dealers even price the water pump job as a separate job, adding more to
the cost.

A good independent mechanic should be able to get you out for 1/2 the
cost. But a good mechanic is always hard to find, that's why many of us
do our own work.

Do ask them for a package deal and a discount if you want the dealer to
do it.


alja78 wrote:
> Hi :
> I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 3.0L V6 with 120, 000 miles. The dealer
> quoted me $475 to get it replaced.
> Is this the normal cost to replace a timing belt (it looks a bit too
> excessive to me)?
>
> Also, I was wondering what happens if I don't replace this belt? (It
> was last replaced at 60K miles). Has it known to snap, and if that
> happens, will it damage the engine?
>
> Currently, I am scheduled for 120K maintenance on Wednesday, and I have
> no clue
> Deeply appreciate your advice and any info you can provide any info on
> this issue.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Al


  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2006, 06:27 am   #8 (permalink)
alja78
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Advice needed on Timing belt/120K maint for 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6

Thank you all for your valuable and insightful advice. I appreciate the
prompt responses and sugestions.
I guess that for now, I will just to the 120K mile service and revisit
the timing belt issue at a later date.


johngdole@hotmail.com wrote:
> Coupon price for just the timing belt is usually $250 or so for the V6.
> What the dealer does is get you in with that coupon, and then slap you
> with the water pump, oil seals, valve cover gaskets, both the idler and
> tensioner pulleys and you are looking at an additional $600-800. Some
> dealers even price the water pump job as a separate job, adding more to
> the cost.
>
> A good independent mechanic should be able to get you out for 1/2 the
> cost. But a good mechanic is always hard to find, that's why many of us
> do our own work.
>
> Do ask them for a package deal and a discount if you want the dealer to
> do it.
>
>
> alja78 wrote:
> > Hi :
> > I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE 3.0L V6 with 120, 000 miles. The dealer
> > quoted me $475 to get it replaced.
> > Is this the normal cost to replace a timing belt (it looks a bit too
> > excessive to me)?
> >
> > Also, I was wondering what happens if I don't replace this belt? (It
> > was last replaced at 60K miles). Has it known to snap, and if that
> > happens, will it damage the engine?
> >
> > Currently, I am scheduled for 120K maintenance on Wednesday, and I have
> > no clue
> > Deeply appreciate your advice and any info you can provide any info on
> > this issue.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Al


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.