96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2006, 01:19 am   #1 (permalink)
Dawson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive

My 1996 camry has about 105,000 miles on it. Lately, I am able to turn
of the engine and remove the key even if the aut trans shifter is in D.
The key is only supposed to come out if the shifter is in P. Otherwise
the car runs great and has no problems. Does anyone know what is the
cause of this and if there is a simple fix? A few mechanics told me to
change the key/lock cylinder for several hundred $s but first, I want
to be sure if this problem has anything to do with the key cylinder.
Thanks for any suggestion. D

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2006, 05:37 am   #2 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive

You might try electronic cleaner sprayed in the lock, disconecting the
battery for at least an hour might be a dood idea

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2006, 05:38 am   #3 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive

Is your only key worn out?

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2006, 11:35 am   #4 (permalink)
mack
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive


"Dawson" <dawu_jokoto@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1150870767.088396.232030@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> My 1996 camry has about 105,000 miles on it. Lately, I am able to turn
> of the engine and remove the key even if the aut trans shifter is in D.
> The key is only supposed to come out if the shifter is in P. Otherwise
> the car runs great and has no problems. Does anyone know what is the
> cause of this and if there is a simple fix? A few mechanics told me to
> change the key/lock cylinder for several hundred $s but first, I want
> to be sure if this problem has anything to do with the key cylinder.
> Thanks for any suggestion. D
>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry, but I fail to see the "problem" here. Simply don't withdraw the key
unless you put the shifter into "park" first. end of problem.
It's a little like complaining that you can remove a knife from the knife
drawer
in the kitchen and draw the blade across your throat......just don't do it
and you'll
be fine.


  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2006, 11:53 am   #5 (permalink)
Dawson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive

m Ransley ha escrito:

> You might try electronic cleaner sprayed in the lock, disconecting the
> battery for at least an hour might be a dood idea



Thanks m Ransley. Both keys are in good condition and even the
third/spare key cut from Walmart is in excellent condition. What kind
of electronic cleaner would you recommend? Would WD40 qualify? If not,
can you recommend a branded cleaner?

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2006, 12:05 pm   #6 (permalink)
Dawson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive

mack ha escrito:

> "Dawson" <dawu_jokoto@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1150870767.088396.232030@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> > My 1996 camry has about 105,000 miles on it. Lately, I am able to turn
> > of the engine and remove the key even if the aut trans shifter is in D.
> > The key is only supposed to come out if the shifter is in P. Otherwise
> > the car runs great and has no problems. Does anyone know what is the
> > cause of this and if there is a simple fix? A few mechanics told me to
> > change the key/lock cylinder for several hundred $s but first, I want
> > to be sure if this problem has anything to do with the key cylinder.
> > Thanks for any suggestion. D
> >

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Sorry, but I fail to see the "problem" here. Simply don't withdraw the key
> unless you put the shifter into "park" first. end of problem.
> It's a little like complaining that you can remove a knife from the knife
> drawer
> in the kitchen and draw the blade across your throat......just don't do it
> and you'll
> be fine.



Thanks Mack. Initially I thought this was no problem, until my wife
recently left the car parked in "Drive" on an incline. The car rolled
backward and almost caused an accident. Got me thinking to fix the
problem if it is possible to fix. Besides, if this is the start of a
major electrical or trans problem it would be nice to know and get a
fix before it's too late. Thanks for your comment.

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2006, 05:56 pm   #7 (permalink)
timbirr@mailcity.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive


Dawson wrote:

> > > My 1996 camry has about 105,000 miles on it. Lately, I am able to turn
> > > of the engine and remove the key even if the aut trans shifter is in D.
> > > The key is only supposed to come out if the shifter is in P. Otherwise
> > > the car runs great and has no problems. Does anyone know what is the
> > > cause of this and if there is a simple fix? A few mechanics told me to
> > > change the key/lock cylinder for several hundred $s but first, I want
> > > to be sure if this problem has anything to do with the key cylinder.
> > > Thanks for any suggestion. D


Obviously you are not used to driving "heaps." This happens in many
cars as the cylinder ages and wears.

The only solution is to either live with it, which I have done with
many cars over the years, or spend the money on a new lock set, which I
have refused to do with many cars over many years.

I actually find it quite handy at times....ie...to leave the car
running and access the trunk, etc.

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2006, 07:16 pm   #8 (permalink)
mack
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive


"
>> Sorry, but I fail to see the "problem" here. Simply don't withdraw the
>> key
>> unless you put the shifter into "park" first. end of problem.
>> It's a little like complaining that you can remove a knife from the knife
>> drawer
>> in the kitchen and draw the blade across your throat......just don't do
>> it
>> and you'll
>> be fine.

>
>
> Thanks Mack. Initially I thought this was no problem, until my wife
> recently left the car parked in "Drive" on an incline. The car rolled
> backward and almost caused an accident. Got me thinking to fix the
> problem if it is possible to fix. Besides, if this is the start of a
> major electrical or trans problem it would be nice to know and get a
> fix before it's too late. Thanks for your comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ah, I think I see the problem....a little driver education, including how to
set the parking brake, as well as leaving the transmission in Park. I see
your point about avoiding major trouble, but I think the key problem stands
by itself.
Thanks for your reply!


  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2006, 06:28 am   #9 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive

Electronics cleaner from radio shack, not wd 40

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.