1997 Camry Sport battery hassle

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2006, 01:34 pm   #1 (permalink)
Don
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 1997 Camry Sport battery hassle

I replaced the battery in my car, a 1997 Camry Sport with one the dealer
recommended:


Optifit Battery
28800 - YZZAG
12v 70Ah 250A DIN
570A EN
6C

This battery is 10Ah less than what was shown in the car specification,
however the dealer said that the above battery was the current type for my
car as the car specification battery was no longer available.

Now I have fitted the battery I find that about 20 minutes after I park and
lock the car the alarm sound and fill not switch off. The alarms sound for
about 10 minutes or so with a gradually slowing tempo, until it ceases.

Prior to fitting this battery the car did not exhibit this behaviour. On
checking my owner's manual in specification for the battery it says,
".Voltage that is checked 20 minutes after the key is removed with all the
lights turned off".

I would like to know what's going on? Is the alarm activated due to the fact
it thinks the battery is near discharged? Car starts no problem, it's a new
battery! The car did not exhibit this behaviour with the old battery, so I
suspect the new battery not being correct type.


Any ideas


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2006, 02:16 pm   #2 (permalink)
JM
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1997 Camry Sport battery hassle


"Don" <donkeyCIsland@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:e83qtq$2q3d$1@newsreader.cw.net...
>I replaced the battery in my car, a 1997 Camry Sport with one the dealer
> recommended:
>
>
> Optifit Battery
> 28800 - YZZAG
> 12v 70Ah 250A DIN
> 570A EN
> 6C
>
> This battery is 10Ah less than what was shown in the car specification,
> however the dealer said that the above battery was the current type for my
> car as the car specification battery was no longer available.
>
> Now I have fitted the battery I find that about 20 minutes after I park
> and
> lock the car the alarm sound and fill not switch off. The alarms sound for
> about 10 minutes or so with a gradually slowing tempo, until it ceases.
>
> Prior to fitting this battery the car did not exhibit this behaviour. On
> checking my owner's manual in specification for the battery it says,
> ".Voltage that is checked 20 minutes after the key is removed with all the
> lights turned off".
>
> I would like to know what's going on? Is the alarm activated due to the
> fact
> it thinks the battery is near discharged? Car starts no problem, it's a
> new
> battery! The car did not exhibit this behaviour with the old battery, so I
> suspect the new battery not being correct type.
>
>
> Any ideas
>

Hi,

I doubt the battery is faulty.
But some or maybe most alarms monitor the voltage of the battery
when you set the alarm.
If say a door is opened then there is a current drawn by the bulb that comes
on when door is opened to assist passengers getting in the car.
This drop can me less than a few MA that's 1000th or one amp.

if maybe the battery is nor well or fully charged, you may get a volts drop
at the terminals because of it maybe being slightly higher voltage after
just
switching the engine off.
That was the SET voltage the alarm saw.

What happens if the alarm goes off like you say after some period and you
reset the alarm
at lets call it the level it dropped to to set the alarm off.

Will the alarm stay set as usual then.

I know when you get a new battery it may need a full over night charge.
Do u have a Battery tester a Hydrometer to measure Specific Density.
I just recently changed a battery on a Ford for a friend but non of the
cells
showed a full charge from the shop.They took 12 hours to come fully up,

The rating is 70AH means you could draw 1 amp for 70 hours
2 amps
for 35 hours and so on.

The 250Amp is I think the cranking availability for the starter load.



That's just my 2cents.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2006, 03:37 pm   #3 (permalink)
Don
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1997 Camry Sport battery hassle

Don't have a battery tester. Battery is a no maintenance type with a window
showing different colour depending on charge (green ok, white not ok, etc.)

Once the alarm as gone off (it must be the battery alarm because I cannot
shut it off and it starts 20 mins after I shut engine down and lock up car)
it stops after 7-10 minutes of its own accord. Yet I feel sure I could leave
it for a week without using it, and start it ok.

However previous battery just died on me without all the beeping tantrums of
this alarm. I don't use the car that much and had been using it once a week
or so. Then one day the previous battery failed to turn over engine. Hence I
bought a new one. Now this wretched alarm annoys me and neighbours 20
minutes after I park.

I have seen this happen on other people's cars, BMW springs to mine, so it
must be a common problem.


I may take it back to the garage to get them to test its charge state.
However, could I not recharge using the alternator on a long drive?



"JM" <johnny@melvin.com> wrote in message
news:44a56b42$0$9831$88260bb3@free.teranews.com...
>
> "Don" <donkeyCIsland@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:e83qtq$2q3d$1@newsreader.cw.net...
> >I replaced the battery in my car, a 1997 Camry Sport with one the dealer
> > recommended:
> >
> >
> > Optifit Battery
> > 28800 - YZZAG
> > 12v 70Ah 250A DIN
> > 570A EN
> > 6C
> >
> > This battery is 10Ah less than what was shown in the car specification,
> > however the dealer said that the above battery was the current type for

my
> > car as the car specification battery was no longer available.
> >
> > Now I have fitted the battery I find that about 20 minutes after I park
> > and
> > lock the car the alarm sound and fill not switch off. The alarms sound

for
> > about 10 minutes or so with a gradually slowing tempo, until it ceases.
> >
> > Prior to fitting this battery the car did not exhibit this behaviour. On
> > checking my owner's manual in specification for the battery it says,
> > ".Voltage that is checked 20 minutes after the key is removed with all

the
> > lights turned off".
> >
> > I would like to know what's going on? Is the alarm activated due to the
> > fact
> > it thinks the battery is near discharged? Car starts no problem, it's a
> > new
> > battery! The car did not exhibit this behaviour with the old battery, so

I
> > suspect the new battery not being correct type.
> >
> >
> > Any ideas
> >

> Hi,
>
> I doubt the battery is faulty.
> But some or maybe most alarms monitor the voltage of the battery
> when you set the alarm.
> If say a door is opened then there is a current drawn by the bulb that

comes
> on when door is opened to assist passengers getting in the car.
> This drop can me less than a few MA that's 1000th or one amp.
>
> if maybe the battery is nor well or fully charged, you may get a volts

drop
> at the terminals because of it maybe being slightly higher voltage after
> just
> switching the engine off.
> That was the SET voltage the alarm saw.
>
> What happens if the alarm goes off like you say after some period and you
> reset the alarm
> at lets call it the level it dropped to to set the alarm off.
>
> Will the alarm stay set as usual then.
>
> I know when you get a new battery it may need a full over night charge.
> Do u have a Battery tester a Hydrometer to measure Specific Density.
> I just recently changed a battery on a Ford for a friend but non of the
> cells
> showed a full charge from the shop.They took 12 hours to come fully up,
>
> The rating is 70AH means you could draw 1 amp for 70 hours
> 2 amps
> for 35 hours and so on.
>
> The 250Amp is I think the cranking availability for the starter load.
>
>
>
> That's just my 2cents.
>
>
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2006, 04:34 pm   #4 (permalink)
JM
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1997 Camry Sport battery hassle


"Don" <donkeyCIsland@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:e8423h$2rvs$1@newsreader.cw.net...
> Don't have a battery tester. Battery is a no maintenance type with a
> window
> showing different colour depending on charge (green ok, white not ok,
> etc.)
>
> Once the alarm as gone off (it must be the battery alarm because I cannot
> shut it off and it starts 20 mins after I shut engine down and lock up
> car)
> it stops after 7-10 minutes of its own accord. Yet I feel sure I could
> leave
> it for a week without using it, and start it ok.
>
> However previous battery just died on me without all the beeping tantrums
> of
> this alarm. I don't use the car that much and had been using it once a
> week
> or so. Then one day the previous battery failed to turn over engine. Hence
> I
> bought a new one. Now this wretched alarm annoys me and neighbours 20
> minutes after I park.
>
>

Hi Don,

Yes ok it will charge up on a long drive to some extent.
But a good overnight would be better.

Ok on the Window colour.

Well I have a 1995 CAMRY 4 cyl 2.2 litre.
Owned since new.

My battery on there lasted 9 and a half years
yes 9.5 years.
It just died. No low battery no signs but one cell was way low.

It still showed the BLUE window saying all was ok.

I wonder just out of interest.
Did anyone check the electrolyte level in the battery.
I take it they are all ok?

Maybe just for the hell of it check the connectors on the battery.
There will be the usual 2 heavy wires but maybe a smaller one direct to the
alarm.
Has that been connected WELL.

Just a thought.
Some times its the simple things Don.

Cheers Johnny UK



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2006, 06:08 pm   #5 (permalink)
Don
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1997 Camry Sport battery hassle

Johnny

The window colour is green, but then the battery has just been purchased new
from dealer for 52. Plus they charged me 5 to dispose of my old battery!

Not sure the electrolyte level in the battery can be checked as it is a
sealed no maintenance battery with just the window (which only checks one
cell). I think the only way to check such batteries is by testing the
voltage (this is probably what my car is doing and then wasting more power
beeping at high decibels for 7mins to tell me its at a low level). I will
get the dealer to do this for me.

Of course my alternator could be faulty (this is what the dealer said when I
asked for a new battery). But I figured the battery was at least 4+ years
old and I needed to use car immediately, so decided to get a new one.

I suppose I could install a battery switch to disconnect the battery. Don't
know how easy it would be to do this.

"JM" <johnny@melvin.com> wrote in message
news:44a58b81$0$9926$88260bb3@free.teranews.com...
>
> "Don" <donkeyCIsland@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:e8423h$2rvs$1@newsreader.cw.net...
> > Don't have a battery tester. Battery is a no maintenance type with a
> > window
> > showing different colour depending on charge (green ok, white not ok,
> > etc.)
> >
> > Once the alarm as gone off (it must be the battery alarm because I

cannot
> > shut it off and it starts 20 mins after I shut engine down and lock up
> > car)
> > it stops after 7-10 minutes of its own accord. Yet I feel sure I could
> > leave
> > it for a week without using it, and start it ok.
> >
> > However previous battery just died on me without all the beeping

tantrums
> > of
> > this alarm. I don't use the car that much and had been using it once a
> > week
> > or so. Then one day the previous battery failed to turn over engine.

Hence
> > I
> > bought a new one. Now this wretched alarm annoys me and neighbours 20
> > minutes after I park.
> >
> >

> Hi Don,
>
> Yes ok it will charge up on a long drive to some extent.
> But a good overnight would be better.
>
> Ok on the Window colour.
>
> Well I have a 1995 CAMRY 4 cyl 2.2 litre.
> Owned since new.
>
> My battery on there lasted 9 and a half years
> yes 9.5 years.
> It just died. No low battery no signs but one cell was way low.
>
> It still showed the BLUE window saying all was ok.
>
> I wonder just out of interest.
> Did anyone check the electrolyte level in the battery.
> I take it they are all ok?
>
> Maybe just for the hell of it check the connectors on the battery.
> There will be the usual 2 heavy wires but maybe a smaller one direct to

the
> alarm.
> Has that been connected WELL.
>
> Just a thought.
> Some times its the simple things Don.
>
> Cheers Johnny UK
>
>
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2006, 10:41 am   #6 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1997 Camry Sport battery hassle

Don wrote:

> I suppose I could install a battery switch to disconnect the battery. Don't
> know how easy it would be to do this.

======================
That would not be the best idea. You will lose your radio presets,
clock setting and any stored computer drivability settings.
Here's probably more than you ever wanted to know about batteries:
-----------------
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/
-----------------
http://www.exideworld.com/products/t...tery_care.html
==========
Couple of suggestions:
Just buying a "new" battery, does not mean you're getting a "new"
battery.
There is a manufacturing date coded on the battery - usually "A" for
January and so on. If the battery is first placed into service more
than six months after the manufacture date, chances are sulfation has
already begun to develop on the internal battery plates, and reduced
the battery's ability to store a full electrical charge.
Second, most technically oriented purchasers prefer a battery design
where water can be added. Many of the "no maintenance" batteries
actually have caps that can be pried off. Sounds like yours does not.
On a personal note, I once had one of those fully sealed batteries
explode, so I never purchased another after that. Was a full size
Cadillac. Came out of a store, turned the key to start, and boom. No
real damage apart from the battery, because I was able to rinse down
the acid quickly. I can only surmise an internal short occurred.
Third. If the new battery has created problems you didn't have before,
I would suspect the battery. If your alternator is not charging, you
will see a "charge" indicator on the dash. The most common alternator
problem in Camrys with over 150,000 miles, is simply worn brushes,
which can be purchased for apx. $20 (USD).
Check on the Internet, or in your owner's manual to determine the
necessary capacity required for the battery for your car.
I like to use a temperature compensated hydrometer by Ez Red, cost
around $20 (USD) online, to check the state of charge of each cell, and
then use a battery charger as required to see if the battery can be
brought back up over night. This is also a convenient way to see if a
single cell is marginal. But you cannot do this with a sealed battery.
All you can do is check the voltage with a digital multimeter.
I believe the Exide articles (exideworld.com - above) give some
guidance on what the readings should be to determine battery condition.
This is probably not what you want to hear, but sometimes you just
cannot get satisfaction from certain establishments that are more
focused on sales than serving customer requirements. You may just wind
up buying a different battery elsewhere. When they've sold you one item
which you sensed was not correct, and now the next solution is to sell
you another item, I get very suspicious.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.