99 camry, recommended oil change interval?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2006, 09:18 pm   #1 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 99 camry, recommended oil change interval?

Got a '99 Camry (70k miles, bought used), mostly used for flat city
driving, usually 5 to 10 miles each way - wife uses it to run errands
to the store, library, etc.

Given the sludge history of this kind of car, and our usage, what's the
oil change interval? 3k? 4k? 5k miles?

Thanks,

Michael

  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 10:30 pm   #2 (permalink)
Nobody Important
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 camry, recommended oil change interval?

mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> Given the sludge history of this kind of car, and our usage, what's the
> oil change interval? 3k? 4k? 5k miles?


I'm running about 5000 miles using Mobil 1 5W30 and a Napa Gold filter.
The used oil analyses are suggesting that I could increase this interval
substantially. (I'm too chicken to go much higher than 5000 though.)

Mine is a 4-cylinder 5SFE; you don't say which engine you have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 11:26 pm   #3 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 camry, recommended oil change interval?


Nobody Important wrote:
> mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> > Given the sludge history of this kind of car, and our usage, what's the
> > oil change interval? 3k? 4k? 5k miles?

>
> I'm running about 5000 miles using Mobil 1 5W30 and a Napa Gold filter.
> The used oil analyses are suggesting that I could increase this interval
> substantially. (I'm too chicken to go much higher than 5000 though.)
>
> Mine is a 4-cylinder 5SFE; you don't say which engine you have.



I've got a 4-banger, too.

Wow, really? 5000 miles? I was about to change it at 4000 miles.
(It's now at about 3,500 miles since its last oil change. Was about to
change the oil today, then changed my mind...)

What's the term... "extreme environment"... from city driving, ~ 5
miles. Afraid of the sludge issue, you know...

Thanks,

Michael

  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 11:27 pm   #4 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 camry, recommended oil change interval?

Unless you use synthetic oil and do oil analysis, you should not go
more than 3000 miles given your city trips on that potential sludging
engine. Not all but only certain synthetics have been recommended for
sludging engines by VW for their Turbo 1.8t. The 1.8t also got a larger
oil filter and increased oil sump size.

The oil will be dark but still allow light to shine through as you
drain it. If it's got a lot of ash and light won't go through easily,
then you should shorten the interval. The oil filter for the newer 2.4L
4cyl is a larger version of the one for the 2.2L filter, since you are
out of warranty that's the one I'd use. Purolator PureOne PL-14477
instead of PL-14476.

Purolator: www.pureoil.com


mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> Got a '99 Camry (70k miles, bought used), mostly used for flat city
> driving, usually 5 to 10 miles each way - wife uses it to run errands
> to the store, library, etc.
>
> Given the sludge history of this kind of car, and our usage, what's the
> oil change interval? 3k? 4k? 5k miles?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2006, 03:41 pm   #5 (permalink)
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 camry, recommended oil change interval?


<mrdarrett@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1154139508.929481.161990@p79g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
> Got a '99 Camry (70k miles, bought used), mostly used for flat city
> driving, usually 5 to 10 miles each way - wife uses it to run errands
> to the store, library, etc.
>
> Given the sludge history of this kind of car, and our usage, what's the
> oil change interval? 3k? 4k? 5k miles?


Recently, the long change intervals have been losing popularity. It is
false economy. Even with synthetics such as Mobil 1, some 'authorities'
are now recommending 3000 mile oil changes.

Do as you like...it is several thousand dollars worth of engine versus a
few bucks worth of oil.... Hard decision?


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2006, 03:57 pm   #6 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 camry, recommended oil change interval?

<HLS@nospam.nix> wrote in message
news:zP8zg.3593$TV.3280@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com ...
> Recently, the long change intervals have been losing popularity. It is
> false economy. Even with synthetics such as Mobil 1, some 'authorities'
> are now recommending 3000 mile oil changes.
>
> Do as you like...it is several thousand dollars worth of engine versus a
> few bucks worth of oil.... Hard decision?
>


Changing at 3000 miles with Mobil 1 is insanity. You can go at least 6,000
miles or 1 year, which ever occurs first with Mobil 1. I am assuming that
one is using a decent oil filter.

When you say "authorities" are you talking about the Sherriff, or what?


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2006, 11:18 pm   #7 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 camry, recommended oil change interval?


johngdole@hotmail.com wrote:
> Unless you use synthetic oil and do oil analysis, you should not go
> more than 3000 miles given your city trips on that potential sludging
> engine. Not all but only certain synthetics have been recommended for
> sludging engines by VW for their Turbo 1.8t. The 1.8t also got a larger
> oil filter and increased oil sump size.
>
> The oil will be dark but still allow light to shine through as you
> drain it. If it's got a lot of ash and light won't go through easily,
> then you should shorten the interval. The oil filter for the newer 2.4L
> 4cyl is a larger version of the one for the 2.2L filter, since you are
> out of warranty that's the one I'd use. Purolator PureOne PL-14477
> instead of PL-14476.
>
> Purolator: www.pureoil.com


What's the reason for using a larger oil filter...? Are we
anticipating that much sludge...?

Thanks,

Michael

  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2006, 07:32 am   #8 (permalink)
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 camry, recommended oil change interval?


"Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
newsvGdnbrtQsjegFDZnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

> Changing at 3000 miles with Mobil 1 is insanity. You can go at least 6,000
> miles or 1 year, which ever occurs first with Mobil 1. I am assuming that
> one is using a decent oil filter.
>
> When you say "authorities" are you talking about the Sherriff, or what?


Well, you noticed my highlighting of the word authorities. Actually, this
comes from several sources, and I don't think it IS insanity.
Unfortunately,
we would have a hard time finding out the truth on this, unless we had
access to industry standard test data. And I dont.

You assume, from what you have read I suppose, that Mobil 1 is good to
these higher mileage levels. But do you really KNOW for sure that it is
true?

Neither synthetics nor refined petroleum oils 'wear out' very quickly.
They do become contaminated with carbon, metal particles, perhaps
even water from blowby, unburned gasoline, etc. A recent article in
Popular Mechanics by their resident 'authority' suggests that this
happens at a more or less equivalent rate, no matter what type oil you
use, and that either should be changed at about the same time.

Some lubricating oil websites say the same thing. (Not that they
would have a vested interest in having you change, would they;>)?

And, on the sludge prone Toyota engines, Toyota has said the same
thing. ( Some of the chat from professional mechanics on the groups
have 'suggested' that the design of the PCV system was the real
problem on these engines rather than poor maintenance schedules.
Toyota, it is claimed, originally specified much longer change intervals
and then backtracked when the engines started destructing. I did research
this at one time, and it seems to be true)

So, my point was, do what you wish. I personally do not fiddle about
with oil analyses (I dont see that they really serve a valuable purpose),
I use high quality dinosaur squeezings, and change often.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2006, 02:26 pm   #9 (permalink)
Nobody Important
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 camry, recommended oil change interval?

HLS@nospam.nix wrote:
> You assume, from what you have read I suppose, that Mobil 1 is good to
> these higher mileage levels. But do you really KNOW for sure that it is
> true?


Umm, yes, actually. Have a look at a representative sample of used oil
analyses done by independent labs on bobistheoilguy.com . BMW and
Mercedes are now specifying 15,000 km between changes, and the internal
combustion technology they're using is no different than that used in
your Camry. Don't try that with your dino oil, though.


> So, my point was, do what you wish. I personally do not fiddle about
> with oil analyses (I dont see that they really serve a valuable purpose),


These analyses are the only way my engineering training says you can
evaluate how much life is left in oil. You can also discover important
things like whether there's antifreeze in your oil before it becomes a
$5000 engine replacement bill.

People who operate fleets of cars or construction equipment (where an
oil change is 50 litres) do these analyses routinely, and there's no
reason why regular folks like us shouldn't benefit from used oil
analysis technology too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2006, 04:03 pm   #10 (permalink)
Andy Hill
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 99 camry, recommended oil change interval?

<HLS@nospam.nix> wrote:
>Well, you noticed my highlighting of the word authorities. Actually, this
>comes from several sources, and I don't think it IS insanity.
>Unfortunately,
>we would have a hard time finding out the truth on this, unless we had
>access to industry standard test data. And I dont.
>
>You assume, from what you have read I suppose, that Mobil 1 is good to
>these higher mileage levels. But do you really KNOW for sure that it is
>true?
>

You can certainly search for used oil reports for the 5SFE engine over on the
"Used Oil Analysis - Gas Engines" forum on bobistheoilguy.com to get a feel for
what folks who are seeing on their rigs, and make a pretty reasonable decision.
Or you can just dump in a decent dino oil every 3K miles. Whatever.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.