96 Camry, idle and IAC/EGR question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2006, 02:45 pm   #1 (permalink)
barti_dog@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 96 Camry, idle and IAC/EGR question

I've read a few threads on the top of idling problems and I'm guessing
that my 96 4cyl Camry (US made, 140k) may be having an IAC or EGR
issue.

The car has been driving fine since I got it from my dad last December.
Once warmer weather started, it would very rarely have an issue with
warm-starting. It would crank as normal and then cut off. Up until
yesterday a re-start was all that was required and the problem seemed
to correct itself. Now, the car starts fine but simply won't idle, no
matter whether it's warm or cold.

In the various threads I've seen, there appears to be some difference
of opinon as to whether this may be an EGR or IAC problem and I'm
looking for a good 'shade-tree' mechanic's approach to identifying the
problem (and performing some cleaning perhaps).

For the time-being, my fix has been to simply adjust the idle screw out
far enough to ensure a normal idle speed so it doesn't die. Anything
wrong with that approach?

  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2006, 10:19 am   #2 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry, idle and IAC/EGR question


<barti_dog@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1154202336.811765.290460@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> I've read a few threads on the top of idling problems and I'm guessing
> that my 96 4cyl Camry (US made, 140k) may be having an IAC or EGR
> issue.
>
> The car has been driving fine since I got it from my dad last December.
> Once warmer weather started, it would very rarely have an issue with
> warm-starting. It would crank as normal and then cut off. Up until
> yesterday a re-start was all that was required and the problem seemed
> to correct itself. Now, the car starts fine but simply won't idle, no
> matter whether it's warm or cold.
>
> In the various threads I've seen, there appears to be some difference
> of opinon as to whether this may be an EGR or IAC problem and I'm
> looking for a good 'shade-tree' mechanic's approach to identifying the
> problem (and performing some cleaning perhaps).
>
> For the time-being, my fix has been to simply adjust the idle screw out
> far enough to ensure a normal idle speed so it doesn't die. Anything
> wrong with that approach?


As a band-aid fix its OK, but it will cause the vehicle to idle too high
when the IAC starts to work properly,..they are usually intermittantly
unserviceable when they start sticking. The idle stop is moveable to stop
fast idle-back for emmission control measures from memory.
Try doing a Google on the IAC valve for V6s.

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2006, 12:31 pm   #3 (permalink)
barti_dog@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry, idle and IAC/EGR question


Jason James wrote:
> <barti_dog@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1154202336.811765.290460@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> > I've read a few threads on the top of idling problems and I'm guessing
> > that my 96 4cyl Camry (US made, 140k) may be having an IAC or EGR
> > issue.
> >
> > The car has been driving fine since I got it from my dad last December.
> > Once warmer weather started, it would very rarely have an issue with
> > warm-starting. It would crank as normal and then cut off. Up until
> > yesterday a re-start was all that was required and the problem seemed
> > to correct itself. Now, the car starts fine but simply won't idle, no
> > matter whether it's warm or cold.
> >
> > In the various threads I've seen, there appears to be some difference
> > of opinon as to whether this may be an EGR or IAC problem and I'm
> > looking for a good 'shade-tree' mechanic's approach to identifying the
> > problem (and performing some cleaning perhaps).
> >
> > For the time-being, my fix has been to simply adjust the idle screw out
> > far enough to ensure a normal idle speed so it doesn't die. Anything
> > wrong with that approach?

>
> As a band-aid fix its OK, but it will cause the vehicle to idle too high
> when the IAC starts to work properly,..they are usually intermittantly
> unserviceable when they start sticking. The idle stop is moveable to stop
> fast idle-back for emmission control measures from memory.
> Try doing a Google on the IAC valve for V6s.
>
> Jason


Well, funny enough, it's working again. Most probablyan IAC issue, I'm
assuming. I had to re-do my previous idle adjustment and all is well.

Any ideas regarding a competitive price for parts and labor for IAC
replacement? I would do it myself, but with a regular job, a wife and 3
kids -- well, if we can afford it, I'd rather have it done. Thanks!!

  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2006, 02:03 pm   #4 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry, idle and IAC/EGR question

The IAC will continue to give you problems, even if you install a new
one. The most economical way to fix it is to clean it periodically.

Avoid spraying throttle body cleaner into the electrical side of the
valve. You may need to buy a new IAC rubber gasket. I just reuse the
old one if it's not damaged, but it's good to have one handy just in
case. You don't want any coolant in the mixture. Do a search on
cleaning the IAC. Daniel's message below suggested using some bike
teflon spray.

Check AutoZone's free online repair guide on the 96 on the IAC.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8013ebef.jsp



From: Daniel - view profile
Date: Tues, Nov 29 2005 7:28 am
Email: "Daniel" <nospampls2...@yahoo.com>
Groups: alt.autos.toyota.camry

My answer is part conjecture, and part speculation but seems to have
worked for me.
I used to clean the idle control valve ("IAC" - idle air control valve)
with carburetor cleaner, when people said better to replace with new
for more durable results. Since it seemed to need cleaning more
frequently, I replaced it and followed all the procedures in the
Factory Service manual for the associated throttle body removal and
cleaning.

Then the problem recurred!

I had deconstructed the old IAC valve just to see how it was put
together. IIRC, it had a bimetallic thermostatic coil on one end and an
electromagnetic coil on the other.
There is a cylindrical shaped piece of metal that rotates to open a
port, but this is metal to metal contact with no provision for
lubrication.

So I began using TriFlow spray lubricant with Teflon and it seems to
work quite well.
A small amount can be sprayed into the rectangular opening at the
bottom of the entrance to the throttle body which is the air inlet to
the valve. I've tried spraying both cold and warm, depending on
conditions. Seems to work well for me. I was not about to replace that
valve again after having installed a factory fresh one and having the
problem recur.


> Well, funny enough, it's working again. Most probablyan IAC issue, I'm
> assuming. I had to re-do my previous idle adjustment and all is well.
>
> Any ideas regarding a competitive price for parts and labor for IAC
> replacement? I would do it myself, but with a regular job, a wife and 3
> kids -- well, if we can afford it, I'd rather have it done. Thanks!!


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2006, 06:53 pm   #5 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry, idle and IAC/EGR question


<barti_dog@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1154280695.321228.145710@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
>
> Jason James wrote:
> > <barti_dog@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:1154202336.811765.290460@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> > > I've read a few threads on the top of idling problems and I'm guessing
> > > that my 96 4cyl Camry (US made, 140k) may be having an IAC or EGR
> > > issue.
> > >
> > > The car has been driving fine since I got it from my dad last

December.
> > > Once warmer weather started, it would very rarely have an issue with
> > > warm-starting. It would crank as normal and then cut off. Up until
> > > yesterday a re-start was all that was required and the problem seemed
> > > to correct itself. Now, the car starts fine but simply won't idle, no
> > > matter whether it's warm or cold.
> > >
> > > In the various threads I've seen, there appears to be some difference
> > > of opinon as to whether this may be an EGR or IAC problem and I'm
> > > looking for a good 'shade-tree' mechanic's approach to identifying the
> > > problem (and performing some cleaning perhaps).
> > >
> > > For the time-being, my fix has been to simply adjust the idle screw

out
> > > far enough to ensure a normal idle speed so it doesn't die. Anything
> > > wrong with that approach?

> >
> > As a band-aid fix its OK, but it will cause the vehicle to idle too high
> > when the IAC starts to work properly,..they are usually intermittantly
> > unserviceable when they start sticking. The idle stop is moveable to

stop
> > fast idle-back for emmission control measures from memory.
> > Try doing a Google on the IAC valve for V6s.
> >
> > Jason

>
> Well, funny enough, it's working again. Most probablyan IAC issue, I'm
> assuming. I had to re-do my previous idle adjustment and all is well.
>
> Any ideas regarding a competitive price for parts and labor for IAC
> replacement? I would do it myself, but with a regular job, a wife and 3
> kids -- well, if we can afford it, I'd rather have it done. Thanks!!


See John Dole's reply, he has included a link to Daniel's excellent
desription on how to service the IAC yourself.

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2006, 12:36 pm   #6 (permalink)
barti_dog@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry, idle and IAC/EGR question


Jason James wrote:
> <barti_dog@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1154280695.321228.145710@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
> >
> > Jason James wrote:
> > > <barti_dog@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > news:1154202336.811765.290460@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> > > > I've read a few threads on the top of idling problems and I'm guessing
> > > > that my 96 4cyl Camry (US made, 140k) may be having an IAC or EGR
> > > > issue.
> > > >
> > > > The car has been driving fine since I got it from my dad last

> December.
> > > > Once warmer weather started, it would very rarely have an issue with
> > > > warm-starting. It would crank as normal and then cut off. Up until
> > > > yesterday a re-start was all that was required and the problem seemed
> > > > to correct itself. Now, the car starts fine but simply won't idle, no
> > > > matter whether it's warm or cold.
> > > >
> > > > In the various threads I've seen, there appears to be some difference
> > > > of opinon as to whether this may be an EGR or IAC problem and I'm
> > > > looking for a good 'shade-tree' mechanic's approach to identifying the
> > > > problem (and performing some cleaning perhaps).
> > > >
> > > > For the time-being, my fix has been to simply adjust the idle screw

> out
> > > > far enough to ensure a normal idle speed so it doesn't die. Anything
> > > > wrong with that approach?
> > >
> > > As a band-aid fix its OK, but it will cause the vehicle to idle too high
> > > when the IAC starts to work properly,..they are usually intermittantly
> > > unserviceable when they start sticking. The idle stop is moveable to

> stop
> > > fast idle-back for emmission control measures from memory.
> > > Try doing a Google on the IAC valve for V6s.
> > >
> > > Jason

> >
> > Well, funny enough, it's working again. Most probablyan IAC issue, I'm
> > assuming. I had to re-do my previous idle adjustment and all is well.
> >
> > Any ideas regarding a competitive price for parts and labor for IAC
> > replacement? I would do it myself, but with a regular job, a wife and 3
> > kids -- well, if we can afford it, I'd rather have it done. Thanks!!

>
> See John Dole's reply, he has included a link to Daniel's excellent
> desription on how to service the IAC yourself.
>
> Jason


Great stuff! Thanks!

  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2006, 03:27 pm   #7 (permalink)
Iagos62@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 96 Camry, idle and IAC/EGR question

I am having the same problem with my '96 auto trans 2.2 Camry. It
stalls out a lights or when at idle. It usually restarts right away but
sometimes it takes some cranking. I started with changing the plugs,
plug wires, Distributor cap and rotor. Problem was still there. I
replaced the EGR and the nearby vacuum servo. Problem still there. I
took the vacuum line off the top of the EGR and blocked it off. Drove
on freeway and city streets to work and it ran fine no stalls. The
Check engine light will light up when you do this BTW. Okay so I
thought that I had narrowed it down. But at lunch it did the stalling
at idle again. SO I am willing to try the ECT.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.