engine hesitation on startup ('99 camry)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2006, 01:27 pm   #1 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default engine hesitation on startup ('99 camry)

'99 camry, 4-cylinder, 70k miles:

Sometimes (maybe once a week) when starting the engine, after it's
already warm (for example, in a parking lot, coming back from a quick
trip to a store) the engine will hover right around 200 rpm (or less).
Tapping the gas pedal usually solves this, bringing the idle up to
something more reasonable. What could be causing this...?

Also, when cold, engine idle is pretty high, right around 1800 rpm. Is
this normal?

Thanks,

Michael

  Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2006, 02:31 pm   #2 (permalink)
Jimmy.A.Smith@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: engine hesitation on startup ('99 camry)

Mike,
I have a 97 that does something similar. The last time I had
mine smogged I was told by the mechanic (who worked for toyota) that
there is an IAC(Idle Air Control valve) that is causing the problem.
Its located on the throttle body and is about 150-200 to replace. I'm
going to take mine out this weekend and see if I can clean it. He said
that you can try to clean it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
It will get worse over time. To the point the car won't stay running.
So if its just starting to happen, you might want to try to clean it or
replace it to save yourself some head ache. I've done the testing on
mine to see if its working like its supposed to, which is to jumper the
control in a box that is on the passenger side under the hood, and when
you do this the engine rpms will increase for a couple of seconds. Mine
did that, but I still have the problem. So I'm just going to clean it.
I'll post back and let you know how it goes. So far I have 150,000 on
my car. Hope for another 150,000

Jimmy


mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> '99 camry, 4-cylinder, 70k miles:
>
> Sometimes (maybe once a week) when starting the engine, after it's
> already warm (for example, in a parking lot, coming back from a quick
> trip to a store) the engine will hover right around 200 rpm (or less).
> Tapping the gas pedal usually solves this, bringing the idle up to
> something more reasonable. What could be causing this...?
>
> Also, when cold, engine idle is pretty high, right around 1800 rpm. Is
> this normal?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael


  Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2006, 06:46 pm   #3 (permalink)
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: engine hesitation on startup ('99 camry)

The IAC part itself retails for $222 with installation being another $135 at
a $90 per hour labor rate. Just so you know what to expect at your local
dealer. Wouldn't trust the gang at Firestone or Pep Boys to complete the
repair, the Toyota Techs do allot of these replacements and are very good at
it. Trouble is, it'll come back again, whether you clean or replace. It's
a function of the car getting older and running dirtier, so get used to it
and welcome to the IAC Club, they're hundreds of thousands of members.
Since the valve goes Gaga on every Camry out there, you're in good company.

<Jimmy.A.Smith@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1155929468.916872.151220@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> Mike,
> I have a 97 that does something similar. The last time I had
> mine smogged I was told by the mechanic (who worked for toyota) that
> there is an IAC(Idle Air Control valve) that is causing the problem.
> Its located on the throttle body and is about 150-200 to replace. I'm
> going to take mine out this weekend and see if I can clean it. He said
> that you can try to clean it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
> It will get worse over time. To the point the car won't stay running.
> So if its just starting to happen, you might want to try to clean it or
> replace it to save yourself some head ache. I've done the testing on
> mine to see if its working like its supposed to, which is to jumper the
> control in a box that is on the passenger side under the hood, and when
> you do this the engine rpms will increase for a couple of seconds. Mine
> did that, but I still have the problem. So I'm just going to clean it.
> I'll post back and let you know how it goes. So far I have 150,000 on
> my car. Hope for another 150,000
>
> Jimmy
>
>
> mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
>> '99 camry, 4-cylinder, 70k miles:
>>
>> Sometimes (maybe once a week) when starting the engine, after it's
>> already warm (for example, in a parking lot, coming back from a quick
>> trip to a store) the engine will hover right around 200 rpm (or less).
>> Tapping the gas pedal usually solves this, bringing the idle up to
>> something more reasonable. What could be causing this...?
>>
>> Also, when cold, engine idle is pretty high, right around 1800 rpm. Is
>> this normal?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael

>



  Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2006, 08:46 pm   #4 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: engine hesitation on startup ('99 camry)

The IAC will continue to be a problem. It's a design issue. Daniel has
an excellent post on how to solve the problem with Triflow. Yes, 1800
rpm with these engines is normal, it's a short cut to try to get the
engine warmed up and cut emissions.

Do avoid spraying throttle body cleaner into the electrical side of the
valve. You may need to buy a new IAC rubber gasket. I just reuse the
old one if it's not damaged, but it's good to have one handy just in
case. You don't want any coolant in the mixture from the IAC. Do a
search on cleaning the IAC.

Check AutoZone's free online repair guide on the 96 on the IAC.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...z/cds/en_us/09...




From: Daniel - view profile
Date: Tues, Nov 29 2005 7:28 am
Email: "Daniel" <nospampls2...@yahoo.com>
Groups: alt.autos.toyota.camry

My answer is part conjecture, and part speculation but seems to have
worked for me.
I used to clean the idle control valve ("IAC" - idle air control valve)
with carburetor cleaner, when people said better to replace with new
for more durable results. Since it seemed to need cleaning more
frequently, I replaced it and followed all the procedures in the
Factory Service manual for the associated throttle body removal and
cleaning.

Then the problem recurred!

I had deconstructed the old IAC valve just to see how it was put
together. IIRC, it had a bimetallic thermostatic coil on one end and an
electromagnetic coil on the other.
There is a cylindrical shaped piece of metal that rotates to open a
port, but this is metal to metal contact with no provision for
lubrication.

So I began using TriFlow spray lubricant with Teflon and it seems to
work quite well.
A small amount can be sprayed into the rectangular opening at the
bottom of the entrance to the throttle body which is the air inlet to
the valve. I've tried spraying both cold and warm, depending on
conditions. Seems to work well for me. I was not about to replace that
valve again after having installed a factory fresh one and having the
problem recur.

  Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2006, 01:00 am   #5 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: engine hesitation on startup ('99 camry)


johngdole@hotmail.com wrote:
> The IAC will continue to be a problem. It's a design issue. Daniel has
> an excellent post on how to solve the problem with Triflow. Yes, 1800
> rpm with these engines is normal, it's a short cut to try to get the
> engine warmed up and cut emissions.
>
> Do avoid spraying throttle body cleaner into the electrical side of the
> valve. You may need to buy a new IAC rubber gasket. I just reuse the
> old one if it's not damaged, but it's good to have one handy just in
> case. You don't want any coolant in the mixture from the IAC. Do a
> search on cleaning the IAC.


Ok, no throttle body cleaner. I sprayed a bit of Triflow in there just
today, with the engine cold, and when I started it up, voila - lower
cold start rpms - about 1200 rpm.

Will keep an eye on it.

Thanks,

Michael

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.