diff fluid level check?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2006, 09:53 am   #1 (permalink)
Dale
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default diff fluid level check?

Hi. In this model of Camry ('95 V6 LE) know the differential fluid is
separate from the auto trans but is it checked through its fill plug for
level when the diff is cold or hot (like the autotrans)?

Thanks, Dale


  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2006, 12:21 pm   #2 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: diff fluid level check?

Dale wrote:
> Hi. In this model of Camry ('95 V6 LE) know the differential fluid is
> separate from the auto trans but is it checked through its fill plug for
> level when the diff is cold or hot (like the autotrans)?
>
> Thanks, Dale

====================================
Cold, like a standard transmission.
Be sure it is separate. On some of the V6s, they share fluid.
If you see a separate fill plug up on the back of the differential
case, then you check there.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2006, 01:03 pm   #3 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: diff fluid level check?

If you go to the trouble of checking it you are better off changing it,
im sure you are to long overdue.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2006, 05:27 pm   #4 (permalink)
Dale
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: diff fluid level check?

Yep. Have already changed it when I did the autotrans. It was separate.

The query was referring to: when I opened the fill plug to check the level
it came spurting out like it was overfilled ..but then I had it on ramps
and it had been driven to warm up the autotrans for _its_ change.
So what I ended up doing was drain. Fill to 'even with the fill hole' while
car was level. Run the car. Drain again to make sure any crud was gone.
Then refill while cold.

Thanks.


"Dale" <dalerrassportnospam@telus.net> wrote in message
news:xtfMg.105$KA6.94@clgrps12...
> Hi. In this model of Camry ('95 V6 LE) know the differential fluid is
> separate from the auto trans but is it checked through its fill plug for
> level when the diff is cold or hot (like the autotrans)?
>
> Thanks, Dale
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2006, 05:50 pm   #5 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: diff fluid level check?

Dale wrote:
> Yep. Have already changed it when I did the autotrans. It was separate.
>
> The query was referring to: when I opened the fill plug to check the level
> it came spurting out like it was overfilled ..but then I had it on ramps

================================
In addition to the fluid being cold, the car needs to be level to get
an accurate reading.
I use jack stands on the front sub frame cross member and then jack
stands with short lengths of 2 x 6 at the jacking points in the rear,
lifting from the center of the rear subframe.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2006, 12:23 am   #6 (permalink)
Dale
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: diff fluid level check?

Good plan. I ended up running the front up on ramps then used a hydraulic
floor jack to temporarily boost the rear to the same height. Seemed to work
alright.




"Daniel" <nospampls2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1157755813.244215.52900@h48g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> Dale wrote:
>> Yep. Have already changed it when I did the autotrans. It was separate.
>>
>> The query was referring to: when I opened the fill plug to check the
>> level
>> it came spurting out like it was overfilled ..but then I had it on ramps

> ================================
> In addition to the fluid being cold, the car needs to be level to get
> an accurate reading.
> I use jack stands on the front sub frame cross member and then jack
> stands with short lengths of 2 x 6 at the jacking points in the rear,
> lifting from the center of the rear subframe.
>



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.