Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2006, 10:37 pm   #1 (permalink)
mjc
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?

The OEM unit on our new-to-us Camry wagon is not behaving
well. A replacement OEM unit costs $279 - installation not
included. I see that I can use a Hirschmann 2040 unit, with
a little adapting, and it costs *much* less. Are these things any
good?
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 07:37 am   #2 (permalink)
Stubby
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?

mjc<DELETETHIS>13 wrote:
> The OEM unit on our new-to-us Camry wagon is not behaving well. A
> replacement OEM unit costs $279 - installation not included. I see that
> I can use a Hirschmann 2040 unit, with
> a little adapting, and it costs *much* less. Are these things any good?


I replaced my power antenna with a $40 unit from AutoZone. I was
intending to get a new mast and fix the broken unit. But the
replacement has been working fine for 2 years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 10:04 am   #3 (permalink)
mjc
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?

Stubby wrote:
> mjc<DELETETHIS>13 wrote:
>
>> The OEM unit on our new-to-us Camry wagon is not behaving well. A
>> replacement OEM unit costs $279 - installation not included. I see
>> that I can use a Hirschmann 2040 unit, with
>> a little adapting, and it costs *much* less. Are these things any good?

>
>
> I replaced my power antenna with a $40 unit from AutoZone. I was
> intending to get a new mast and fix the broken unit. But the
> replacement has been working fine for 2 years.


Was it a Hirschman?
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 10:39 am   #4 (permalink)
Kurt Krueger
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?

Stubby wrote:

>
> I replaced my power antenna with a $40 unit from AutoZone. I was
> intending to get a new mast and fix the broken unit. But the
> replacement has been working fine for 2 years.


If it's a broken mast, I'd recommend against replacing the mast.
If it's anything like the MR2's, those things are crimped in place
and aren't really designed to easily replace. It took a lot of
careful griding with a Dremel tool to get the thing apart.
And then there was no place left to recrimp the new one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 10:59 am   #5 (permalink)
Stubby
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?



mjc<DELETETHIS>13 wrote:
> Stubby wrote:
>> mjc<DELETETHIS>13 wrote:
>>
>>> The OEM unit on our new-to-us Camry wagon is not behaving well. A
>>> replacement OEM unit costs $279 - installation not included. I see
>>> that I can use a Hirschmann 2040 unit, with
>>> a little adapting, and it costs *much* less. Are these things any good?

>>
>>
>> I replaced my power antenna with a $40 unit from AutoZone. I was
>> intending to get a new mast and fix the broken unit. But the
>> replacement has been working fine for 2 years.

>
> Was it a Hirschman?

I'm sorry, but I don't remember.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 12:32 pm   #6 (permalink)
mack
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?


"mjc<DELETETHIS>13 13 @verizon.net>" <"mjc<DELETETHIS> wrote in message
news:Nx0Tg.6748$Ev4.113@trndny03...
> The OEM unit on our new-to-us Camry wagon is not behaving well. A
> replacement OEM unit costs $279 - installation not included. I see that I
> can use a Hirschmann 2040 unit, with
> a little adapting, and it costs *much* less. Are these things any good?


Power antennas, in my somewhat limited experience, are a pain in the butt.
The weak spot, of course, is the coil of notched plastic which forces the
antenna up and down. Unfortunately, this is overworked because it goes up
each time the radio is turned on and down when you turn it off. I've
replaced two of them over the years, and when the time came to replace one
yet again, I opted for a non-power antenna which stays up until you push it
down manually. The little effort is much less than having to replace the
damned thing (and the expense, of course.)


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2006, 03:22 am   #7 (permalink)
mjc
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?

mack wrote:
> "mjc<DELETETHIS>13 13 @verizon.net>" <"mjc<DELETETHIS> wrote in message
> news:Nx0Tg.6748$Ev4.113@trndny03...
>
>> The OEM unit on our new-to-us Camry wagon is not behaving well. A
>>replacement OEM unit costs $279 - installation not included. I see that I
>>can use a Hirschmann 2040 unit, with
>>a little adapting, and it costs *much* less. Are these things any good?

>
>
> Power antennas, in my somewhat limited experience, are a pain in the butt.
> The weak spot, of course, is the coil of notched plastic which forces the
> antenna up and down. Unfortunately, this is overworked because it goes up
> each time the radio is turned on and down when you turn it off. I've
> replaced two of them over the years, and when the time came to replace one
> yet again, I opted for a non-power antenna which stays up until you push it
> down manually. The little effort is much less than having to replace the
> damned thing (and the expense, of course.)
>
>


I got one of those, too. If popup headlights can have a
switch position to stay up, why not power antennas...?
  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2006, 08:53 am   #8 (permalink)
-
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?

Are you sure it isn't just the mast that needs replacing? Those are $15 on
Ebay.

> I got one of those, too. If popup headlights can have a switch position
> to stay up, why not power antennas...?


Once it is fixed (or IF you can possibly still coax it up), just pull the
power connector on the antenna motor once the mast is in the position you
want it. Luckily reception is pretty good on my unit so I have been able to
leave it in the down position. Too many crackheads love to break off the
antennas to use for crack pipes. So leaving the antenna up all the time is
asking for trouble If I go on a roadtrip, I just put the antenna up for
the trip.


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2006, 04:04 pm   #9 (permalink)
mjc
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Are Hirschmann Aftermarket Power Antennas Any Good?

- wrote:
> Are you sure it isn't just the mast that needs replacing? Those are $15 on
> Ebay.


The mast was already replaced one. The gears are undoubtedly
worn.

>
>
>> I got one of those, too. If popup headlights can have a switch position
>>to stay up, why not power antennas...?

>
>
> Once it is fixed (or IF you can possibly still coax it up), just pull the
> power connector on the antenna motor once the mast is in the position you
> want it. Luckily reception is pretty good on my unit so I have been able to
> leave it in the down position. Too many crackheads love to break off the
> antennas to use for crack pipes. So leaving the antenna up all the time is
> asking for trouble If I go on a roadtrip, I just put the antenna up for
> the trip.
>
>


What I suggested was a switch that lets you decide when the
antenna will raise or lower, not leaving it up all the time.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.