door handle failure

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2006, 08:45 am   #1 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default door handle failure

My 97 Camry has a problem with the passenger side outside door handle.
It will not open the door and acts as if it is still locked. The door
opens fine from the inside and the lock mechanism works fine from the
inside and the outside.

Obviously I will have to remove the inside door cover to get to this
mechanism. Any tips on how to accomplish this task? Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 11:02 am   #2 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: door handle failure


"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:xn0ersl9wlkv741001@news.readfreenews.net...
> My 97 Camry has a problem with the passenger side outside door handle.
> It will not open the door and acts as if it is still locked. The door
> opens fine from the inside and the lock mechanism works fine from the
> inside and the outside.
>
> Obviously I will have to remove the inside door cover to get to this
> mechanism. Any tips on how to accomplish this task? Thanks.


There will be one or two plastic plugs in the underside of the arm rest.
Pop the plugs out to get access to the screws under there. Also, there may
be a screw in the trim bezel behind the inner door latch. It may be
worthwhile to invest in a trim removal tool, it looks almost like one of
those tools for digging weeds out of the garden - screwdriver handle with a
blade with a notch in it. You can also use your fingertips or a putty
knife. Starting at the bottom of the door panel, carefully pull the inner
door panel away from the door and work your way around the leading and
trailing edge of the door. After all of the clips are free, unplug the
courtesy light (if there is one) and the power window/lock controls (if you
have them) and then lift the panel straight up to unhook it from the door
frame. You will see a plastic film covering the opening held in place with
putty. When you pull the plastic away, it is less likely to tear if you use
a quick jerking motion, like ripping a band aid off. Repair any tears with
duct tape. The door latch is connected with clips to rods, see if any are
disconnected or jammed.

Good luck!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 12:27 pm   #3 (permalink)
mack
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: door handle failure


"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
news:656b1$451d4475$44a4a10d$22956@msgid.meganewss ervers.com...
>
> "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:xn0ersl9wlkv741001@news.readfreenews.net...
>> My 97 Camry has a problem with the passenger side outside door handle.
>> It will not open the door and acts as if it is still locked. The door
>> opens fine from the inside and the lock mechanism works fine from the
>> inside and the outside.
>>
>> Obviously I will have to remove the inside door cover to get to this
>> mechanism. Any tips on how to accomplish this task? Thanks.

>
> There will be one or two plastic plugs in the underside of the arm rest.
> Pop the plugs out to get access to the screws under there. Also, there
> may be a screw in the trim bezel behind the inner door latch. It may be
> worthwhile to invest in a trim removal tool, it looks almost like one of
> those tools for digging weeds out of the garden - screwdriver handle with
> a blade with a notch in it. You can also use your fingertips or a putty
> knife. Starting at the bottom of the door panel, carefully pull the inner
> door panel away from the door and work your way around the leading and
> trailing edge of the door. After all of the clips are free, unplug the
> courtesy light (if there is one) and the power window/lock controls (if
> you have them) and then lift the panel straight up to unhook it from the
> door frame. You will see a plastic film covering the opening held in
> place with putty. When you pull the plastic away, it is less likely to
> tear if you use a quick jerking motion, like ripping a band aid off.
> Repair any tears with duct tape. The door latch is connected with clips
> to rods, see if any are disconnected or jammed.
>
> Good luck!
> --
>
> Ray O
>


Getting the door panel off is the easy part. If, as on MY '97 Camry, which
experienced the same problem, the clip and rod have separated, you'll have
to put on a new clip to hold the mechanism together. It's fairly
straightforward to see and figure out, but getting a clip into this limited
access area is a pain. I ended up fabricating a substitute for the clip
(which had disappeared) and putting it in place with some difficulty.
Good Luck!


  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2006, 11:10 pm   #4 (permalink)
Dave L
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: door handle failure

"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:xn0ersl9wlkv741001@news.readfreenews.net...
> My 97 Camry has a problem with the passenger side outside door handle.
> It will not open the door and acts as if it is still locked. The door
> opens fine from the inside and the lock mechanism works fine from the
> inside and the outside.
>
> Obviously I will have to remove the inside door cover to get to this
> mechanism. Any tips on how to accomplish this task? Thanks.


What is it with Toyota door handles? Great cars, but the only vehicles I
can recall when people have broken door handles have all been Toyotas. Is
this just a coincidence or a weak link on Toys?

-Dave


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2006, 06:47 am   #5 (permalink)
High Tech Misfit
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: door handle failure

Dave L wrote:

> What is it with Toyota door handles? Great cars, but the only vehicles I
> can recall when people have broken door handles have all been Toyotas. Is
> this just a coincidence or a weak link on Toys?
>
> -Dave


I've seen it on many makes, foreign and domestic. I remember a guy who had
to enter his Audi on the passenger side beside the driver's door handle was
busted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2006, 01:45 pm   #6 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: door handle failure


"Dave L" <davelieuREMOVEME@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:t8ydnfQv466LcoDYnZ2dnUVZ_qudnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:xn0ersl9wlkv741001@news.readfreenews.net...
>> My 97 Camry has a problem with the passenger side outside door handle.
>> It will not open the door and acts as if it is still locked. The door
>> opens fine from the inside and the lock mechanism works fine from the
>> inside and the outside.
>>
>> Obviously I will have to remove the inside door cover to get to this
>> mechanism. Any tips on how to accomplish this task? Thanks.

>
> What is it with Toyota door handles? Great cars, but the only vehicles I
> can recall when people have broken door handles have all been Toyotas. Is
> this just a coincidence or a weak link on Toys?
>
> -Dave

I've seen the problem with other makes as well. I think that most of the
time, it comes from trying to force the handle when the door is locked or
from trying to slim jim the car.

--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2006, 05:11 pm   #7 (permalink)
Dave L
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: door handle failure

"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
news:254f9$451ebed1$180ffe52$1098@msgid.meganewsse rvers.com...
>
> "Dave L" <davelieuREMOVEME@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:t8ydnfQv466LcoDYnZ2dnUVZ_qudnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:xn0ersl9wlkv741001@news.readfreenews.net...
>>> My 97 Camry has a problem with the passenger side outside door handle.
>>> It will not open the door and acts as if it is still locked. The door
>>> opens fine from the inside and the lock mechanism works fine from the
>>> inside and the outside.
>>>
>>> Obviously I will have to remove the inside door cover to get to this
>>> mechanism. Any tips on how to accomplish this task? Thanks.

>>
>> What is it with Toyota door handles? Great cars, but the only vehicles I
>> can recall when people have broken door handles have all been Toyotas.
>> Is this just a coincidence or a weak link on Toys?
>>
>> -Dave

> I've seen the problem with other makes as well. I think that most of the
> time, it comes from trying to force the handle when the door is locked or
> from trying to slim jim the car.
>
> --
>
> Ray O
> (correct punctuation to reply)


I'm sure. Maybe it's because I know so many people who own Toyotas vs.
other makes. Either way it's probably more from abuse than anything else.

-Dave


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2006, 05:53 pm   #8 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: door handle failure

Ray O, 9/30/2006,2:45:43 PM, wrote:

> I've seen the problem with other makes as well. I think that most of
> the time, it comes from trying to force the handle when the door is
> locked or from trying to slim jim the car.


I suspect this is the case since my son has a habit of trying to open
the door at the same time as I'm trying to unlock it. In fact this was
when it happened I think.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2006, 07:11 am   #9 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: door handle failure

Ray O, 9/29/2006, 12:02:06 PM,
<656b1$451d4475$44a4a10d$22956@msgid.meganewsserve rs.com> wrote:

>
> "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:xn0ersl9wlkv741001@news.readfreenews.net...
> > My 97 Camry has a problem with the passenger side outside door
> > handle. It will not open the door and acts as if it is still
> > locked. The door opens fine from the inside and the lock mechanism
> > works fine from the inside and the outside.
> >
> > Obviously I will have to remove the inside door cover to get to this
> > mechanism. Any tips on how to accomplish this task? Thanks.

>
> There will be one or two plastic plugs in the underside of the arm
> rest. Pop the plugs out to get access to the screws under there.
> Also, there may be a screw in the trim bezel behind the inner door
> latch. It may be worthwhile to invest in a trim removal tool, it
> looks almost like one of those tools for digging weeds out of the
> garden - screwdriver handle with a blade with a notch in it. You can
> also use your fingertips or a putty knife. Starting at the bottom of
> the door panel, carefully pull the inner door panel away from the
> door and work your way around the leading and trailing edge of the
> door. After all of the clips are free, unplug the courtesy light (if
> there is one) and the power window/lock controls (if you have them)
> and then lift the panel straight up to unhook it from the door frame.
> You will see a plastic film covering the opening held in place with
> putty. When you pull the plastic away, it is less likely to tear if
> you use a quick jerking motion, like ripping a band aid off. Repair
> any tears with duct tape. The door latch is connected with clips to
> rods, see if any are disconnected or jammed.
>
> Good luck!


Ray,

I disassembled the door and can barely get a peek at the door latch
mechanism through the round hole opposite the rod that attaches to the
door handle. There is a rod coming up from the latch or someplace that
has a pin at the end at a 90 degree angle. This pin goes through a
protrusion from the outside door handle and sticks out barely on the
other side of the hole. The pin has an indentation at the end which
looks like it takes a retaining ring to lock it in place so it won't
fall out of the hole. I have tried e-clips, different sized retaining
clips to snap onto the pin but have been unsuccessful. They are all
now at the bottom of the door somewhere and I am unable to find them
anymore.

Do you have any suggestions on how to keep that pin from falling out of
the hole?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2006, 08:49 am   #10 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: door handle failure

badgolferman, 10/2/2006, 8:11:47 AM,
<xn0erzjp3prtwey003@news.readfreenews.net> wrote:

> Ray O, 9/29/2006, 12:02:06 PM,
> <656b1$451d4475$44a4a10d$22956@msgid.meganewsserve rs.com> wrote:
>
> >
> > "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:xn0ersl9wlkv741001@news.readfreenews.net...
> > > My 97 Camry has a problem with the passenger side outside door
> > > handle. It will not open the door and acts as if it is still
> > > locked. The door opens fine from the inside and the lock
> > > mechanism works fine from the inside and the outside.
> > >
> > > Obviously I will have to remove the inside door cover to get to
> > > this mechanism. Any tips on how to accomplish this task? Thanks.

> >
> > There will be one or two plastic plugs in the underside of the arm
> > rest. Pop the plugs out to get access to the screws under there.
> > Also, there may be a screw in the trim bezel behind the inner door
> > latch. It may be worthwhile to invest in a trim removal tool, it
> > looks almost like one of those tools for digging weeds out of the
> > garden - screwdriver handle with a blade with a notch in it. You
> > can also use your fingertips or a putty knife. Starting at the
> > bottom of the door panel, carefully pull the inner door panel away
> > from the door and work your way around the leading and trailing
> > edge of the door. After all of the clips are free, unplug the
> > courtesy light (if there is one) and the power window/lock controls
> > (if you have them) and then lift the panel straight up to unhook it
> > from the door frame. You will see a plastic film covering the
> > opening held in place with putty. When you pull the plastic away,
> > it is less likely to tear if you use a quick jerking motion, like
> > ripping a band aid off. Repair any tears with duct tape. The door
> > latch is connected with clips to rods, see if any are disconnected
> > or jammed.
> >
> > Good luck!

>
> Ray,
>
> I disassembled the door and can barely get a peek at the door latch
> mechanism through the round hole opposite the rod that attaches to the
> door handle. There is a rod coming up from the latch or someplace
> that has a pin at the end at a 90 degree angle. This pin goes
> through a protrusion from the outside door handle and sticks out
> barely on the other side of the hole. The pin has an indentation at
> the end which looks like it takes a retaining ring to lock it in
> place so it won't fall out of the hole. I have tried e-clips,
> different sized retaining clips to snap onto the pin but have been
> unsuccessful. They are all now at the bottom of the door somewhere
> and I am unable to find them anymore.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how to keep that pin from falling out
> of the hole?


Never mind. I realize now there is a plastic clip that effectively
makes the pin larger so it fits through the hole. That clip is broken
and I have removed it to get a replacement.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.