93 camry 2.2 coolant problem

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2006, 08:32 pm   #1 (permalink)
Honda2nr
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 93 camry 2.2 coolant problem

1993 camry 2.2L , having a problem keeping air out of the system, or a
flow problem... I replaced both temp sensors, water pump, radiator,
stainless steel thermostat...and flushed the system with cleaner, and
put 50/50 prestone antifreeze with coolant system protector. I left the
cap off the radiator for about 1/2 hour to let the air out of the
system, closed it up and it ran fine, but now it seems to either be
getting air back into it or flow stopping?? i have no idea whats going
on with this thing.

If im driving along at 60 and let off , it wants to stall unless i rev
it up and its fine again for a few mins. now, when i rev it up the
check engine light comes on quick and goes out and also the temp guage
goes past HOT untill the motor settles to low rpms again... sounds like
either air or flow stopping


HELP!!!!!

  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2006, 08:37 pm   #2 (permalink)
Honda2nr
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 camry 2.2 coolant problem


Honda2nr wrote:
> 1993 camry 2.2L , having a problem keeping air out of the system, or a
> flow problem... I replaced both temp sensors, water pump, radiator,
> stainless steel thermostat...and flushed the system with cleaner, and
> put 50/50 prestone antifreeze with coolant system protector. I left the
> cap off the radiator for about 1/2 hour to let the air out of the
> system, closed it up and it ran fine, but now it seems to either be
> getting air back into it or flow stopping?? i have no idea whats going
> on with this thing.
>
> If im driving along at 60 and let off , it wants to stall unless i rev
> it up and its fine again for a few mins. now, when i rev it up the
> check engine light comes on quick and goes out and also the temp guage
> goes past HOT untill the motor settles to low rpms again... sounds like
> either air or flow stopping
>
>
> HELP!!!!!


Also i have left the cap off and watched it for about 15 mins, I can
see it flowing through the radiator, then it slows down and comes up to
the top of the cap for a minute, then the fans kick on and the coolant
goes back down in the radiator and flows faster again....

  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2006, 09:21 pm   #3 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 camry 2.2 coolant problem

Honda2nr wrote:
> 1993 camry 2.2L , having a problem keeping air out of the system, or a
> flow problem... I replaced both temp sensors, water pump, radiator,
> stainless steel thermostat...and flushed the system with cleaner, and
> put 50/50 prestone antifreeze with coolant system protector.

++++++++++++++
> Also i have left the cap off and watched it for about 15 mins, I can
> see it flowing through the radiator, then it slows down and comes up to
> the top of the cap for a minute, then the fans kick on and the coolant
> goes back down in the radiator and flows faster again....

===================
I'm a great believer in keeping your Toyota all Toyota.
Someone posted a photo of what looks like a brand new radiator inlet
after 15 years and 228,000 miles of Toyota red coolant and distilled
water.
On my 1977 Toyota truck, when the NAPA water pump went out - this is
the third water pump since I've owned the truck, so this time I bought
a Toyota water pump, and decided to change over to Toyota coolant and
distilled water at the same time.
Had been using Prestone green and water from the hose previously and my
fairly new radiator was already developing scale on the tubes in the
upper tank.
Sounds like a thermostat problem to me. I'd try a different thermostat.
Make sure it has a "jiggle valve" and orient it in line with the cast
in mark on the inlet hose - roughly 12:00 o'clock. That jiggle valve is
an air bleed valve and I've never had any problem with trapped air in
the cooling system on the same engine.
There is a temperature sensor in the lower radiator tank for the
radiator fans.
Should be that engine has to get quite hot before those fans come on,
then if your radiator and water pump are operating correctly, the fans
usually go off in a matter of a minute or two, even idling in very hot
weather.
Personally, I've never seen a cooling system as effective as the one in
that engine, high speed, idling in summer with a/c on, long uphill
acceleration, needle never moves off just below center on the gauge.
Also make sure your thermostat isn't reversed. The short domed side
with the temperature stamp faces out.

  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2006, 10:03 pm   #4 (permalink)
Honda2nr
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 camry 2.2 coolant problem


Daniel wrote:
> Honda2nr wrote:
> > 1993 camry 2.2L , having a problem keeping air out of the system, or a
> > flow problem... I replaced both temp sensors, water pump, radiator,
> > stainless steel thermostat...and flushed the system with cleaner, and
> > put 50/50 prestone antifreeze with coolant system protector.

> ++++++++++++++
> > Also i have left the cap off and watched it for about 15 mins, I can
> > see it flowing through the radiator, then it slows down and comes up to
> > the top of the cap for a minute, then the fans kick on and the coolant
> > goes back down in the radiator and flows faster again....

> ===================
> I'm a great believer in keeping your Toyota all Toyota.
> Someone posted a photo of what looks like a brand new radiator inlet
> after 15 years and 228,000 miles of Toyota red coolant and distilled
> water.
> On my 1977 Toyota truck, when the NAPA water pump went out - this is
> the third water pump since I've owned the truck, so this time I bought
> a Toyota water pump, and decided to change over to Toyota coolant and
> distilled water at the same time.
> Had been using Prestone green and water from the hose previously and my
> fairly new radiator was already developing scale on the tubes in the
> upper tank.
> Sounds like a thermostat problem to me. I'd try a different thermostat.
> Make sure it has a "jiggle valve" and orient it in line with the cast
> in mark on the inlet hose - roughly 12:00 o'clock. That jiggle valve is
> an air bleed valve and I've never had any problem with trapped air in
> the cooling system on the same engine.
> There is a temperature sensor in the lower radiator tank for the
> radiator fans.
> Should be that engine has to get quite hot before those fans come on,
> then if your radiator and water pump are operating correctly, the fans
> usually go off in a matter of a minute or two, even idling in very hot
> weather.
> Personally, I've never seen a cooling system as effective as the one in
> that engine, high speed, idling in summer with a/c on, long uphill
> acceleration, needle never moves off just below center on the gauge.
> Also make sure your thermostat isn't reversed. The short domed side
> with the temperature stamp faces out.


The stainless steel thermostat does not have a "jiggle valve" , but the
one i took out did have one and i had cut it so the coolant would just
flow and stay cold , so i cant try that right now
so i guess im going to the parts store to get a cheap thermostat and
try the 1200 jiggle valve idea...

  Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2006, 06:29 pm   #5 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 camry 2.2 coolant problem

Thermostat is one of the few OEM components I'll use. For just a few
dollars more, get an OEM thermostat. Pick up a gallon of concentrate
red coolant with coupon (I think around $13-14?). Use only DISTILLED
water with the coolant and never use tap water.

If the dealer has only the pink pre-dilluted stuff with hybrid organic
acid technology then you might want to consider the new Prestone
non-Dexcool universal coolant. I plan to use it with distilled water
when the "factory red" stops selling. I don't think you can find green
silicated Prestones nowadays, which is a good thing. They wear out the
water pumps sooner.

If you have air in the system (right next to the temp sensors), you'll
get that reading problem. If you use the correct thermostat and still
keep getting air in the system, then you still have a leak somewhere.
With new sensor, water pump, radiator replaced, how about hoses and
heater core? (Not that they are the problems) If those are fine then
another source of air in the system is a leaky head gasket.



Honda2nr wrote:
> 1993 camry 2.2L , having a problem keeping air out of the system, or a
> flow problem... I replaced both temp sensors, water pump, radiator,
> stainless steel thermostat...and flushed the system with cleaner, and
> put 50/50 prestone antifreeze with coolant system protector. I left the
> cap off the radiator for about 1/2 hour to let the air out of the
> system, closed it up and it ran fine, but now it seems to either be
> getting air back into it or flow stopping?? i have no idea whats going
> on with this thing.
>
> If im driving along at 60 and let off , it wants to stall unless i rev
> it up and its fine again for a few mins. now, when i rev it up the
> check engine light comes on quick and goes out and also the temp guage
> goes past HOT untill the motor settles to low rpms again... sounds like
> either air or flow stopping
>
>
> HELP!!!!!


  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2006, 11:25 pm   #6 (permalink)
Keith
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 camry 2.2 coolant problem

Consider the chance that you've got a blown head gasket as well.

Compression gas can vent into the coolant system and appear to be air.
Overheating naturally results.

<johngdole@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1160004587.992305.204860@h48g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> Thermostat is one of the few OEM components I'll use. For just a few
> dollars more, get an OEM thermostat. Pick up a gallon of concentrate
> red coolant with coupon (I think around $13-14?). Use only DISTILLED
> water with the coolant and never use tap water.
>
> If the dealer has only the pink pre-dilluted stuff with hybrid organic
> acid technology then you might want to consider the new Prestone
> non-Dexcool universal coolant. I plan to use it with distilled water
> when the "factory red" stops selling. I don't think you can find green
> silicated Prestones nowadays, which is a good thing. They wear out the
> water pumps sooner.
>
> If you have air in the system (right next to the temp sensors), you'll
> get that reading problem. If you use the correct thermostat and still
> keep getting air in the system, then you still have a leak somewhere.
> With new sensor, water pump, radiator replaced, how about hoses and
> heater core? (Not that they are the problems) If those are fine then
> another source of air in the system is a leaky head gasket.
>
>
>
> Honda2nr wrote:
>> 1993 camry 2.2L , having a problem keeping air out of the system, or a
>> flow problem... I replaced both temp sensors, water pump, radiator,
>> stainless steel thermostat...and flushed the system with cleaner, and
>> put 50/50 prestone antifreeze with coolant system protector. I left the
>> cap off the radiator for about 1/2 hour to let the air out of the
>> system, closed it up and it ran fine, but now it seems to either be
>> getting air back into it or flow stopping?? i have no idea whats going
>> on with this thing.
>>
>> If im driving along at 60 and let off , it wants to stall unless i rev
>> it up and its fine again for a few mins. now, when i rev it up the
>> check engine light comes on quick and goes out and also the temp guage
>> goes past HOT untill the motor settles to low rpms again... sounds like
>> either air or flow stopping
>>
>>
>> HELP!!!!!

>



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.