Hand over hand steering

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2006, 07:59 am   #1 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Hand over hand steering

For anyone who may be interested, the "ten and two o'clock" hand
position sets the hands "twenty minutes" apart, so the third hand
position winds up being at the "six o'clock" position at bottom dead
center. As is happens I have a leather seam right there, so easy to
confirm by touch.
Also, when returning, don't avert attention from the road, while
looking up ahead, when the car straightens, your hands go back to the
by now comfortable "10 and 2."
Installed a new Wheelskin leather steering wheel cover to match Classic
Soft Trim leather over new foam cushions and came to understand the old
method of "hand over hand" steering.
BTW for anyone installing a Wheelskin, to get the stitching aligned
just right, if you look carefully, there is an inside seam in the
original steering wheel mold. Have a shop light nearby to view the
slight change in vinyl "grain" and keep your newly laced seam exactly
over the original factory vinyl seam for a result that is perfectly
aligned.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2006, 01:28 pm   #2 (permalink)
Don Fearn
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hand over hand steering

I think it was "Daniel" <nospampls2002@yahoo.com> who stated:

>For anyone who may be interested, the "ten and two o'clock" hand
>position sets the hands "twenty minutes" apart, so the third hand
>position winds up being at the "six o'clock" position at bottom dead
>center. As is happens I have a leather seam right there, so easy to
>confirm by touch.


Ten and two o'clock steering position is SO Twentieth Century.

Welcome to 2006 when nearly all cars have airbags so that a
four-thirty and seven-thirty o'clock hand position is a better (safer)
choice. Then the airbag has a better chance of cushioning you without
breaking your arms . . . .

-Don
--
Pooder approved this post . . . .
  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2006, 07:16 pm   #3 (permalink)
Bassplayer12
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hand over hand steering

I learned that the recommended and safer position was 10 and 4 o'clock.
Not true anymore?


"Daniel" <nospampls2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1160312391.144047.143200@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
> For anyone who may be interested, the "ten and two o'clock" hand
> position sets the hands "twenty minutes" apart, so the third hand
> position winds up being at the "six o'clock" position at bottom dead
> center. As is happens I have a leather seam right there, so easy to
> confirm by touch.
> Also, when returning, don't avert attention from the road, while
> looking up ahead, when the car straightens, your hands go back to the
> by now comfortable "10 and 2."
> Installed a new Wheelskin leather steering wheel cover to match Classic
> Soft Trim leather over new foam cushions and came to understand the old
> method of "hand over hand" steering.
> BTW for anyone installing a Wheelskin, to get the stitching aligned
> just right, if you look carefully, there is an inside seam in the
> original steering wheel mold. Have a shop light nearby to view the
> slight change in vinyl "grain" and keep your newly laced seam exactly
> over the original factory vinyl seam for a result that is perfectly
> aligned.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2006, 11:14 pm   #4 (permalink)
sharx35
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hand over hand steering


"Bassplayer12" <perettij@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
news:yxgWg.2381$cz.36504@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>I learned that the recommended and safer position was 10 and 4 o'clock.
> Not true anymore?


10 and 4 don't make any sense as they put your hands a different distance
from 12 Noon, as it were.



>
>
> "Daniel" <nospampls2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1160312391.144047.143200@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
>> For anyone who may be interested, the "ten and two o'clock" hand
>> position sets the hands "twenty minutes" apart, so the third hand
>> position winds up being at the "six o'clock" position at bottom dead
>> center. As is happens I have a leather seam right there, so easy to
>> confirm by touch.
>> Also, when returning, don't avert attention from the road, while
>> looking up ahead, when the car straightens, your hands go back to the
>> by now comfortable "10 and 2."
>> Installed a new Wheelskin leather steering wheel cover to match Classic
>> Soft Trim leather over new foam cushions and came to understand the old
>> method of "hand over hand" steering.
>> BTW for anyone installing a Wheelskin, to get the stitching aligned
>> just right, if you look carefully, there is an inside seam in the
>> original steering wheel mold. Have a shop light nearby to view the
>> slight change in vinyl "grain" and keep your newly laced seam exactly
>> over the original factory vinyl seam for a result that is perfectly
>> aligned.
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2006, 07:59 am   #5 (permalink)
BobT
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hand over hand steering

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 00:16:30 GMT, "Bassplayer12"
<perettij@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

>I learned that the recommended and safer position was 10 and 4 o'clock.
>Not true anymore?


10 & 4?? If you mean 10 & 2, that was a recommended hand position
before air bags came along.

Hands in those positions interfere with airbag deployment. That's the
polite way of saying you will end up with broken arms if the bags go
off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2006, 09:01 am   #6 (permalink)
Doctor J
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hand over hand steering


Good drivers mostly suffer from the rear end collisions. Keeping hands
between 10-2 or 9-3 positions will allow sharper turns and better
steering control when driving over the uneven road.


--
Doctor J
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doctor J's Profile: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/me...p?userid=53661
View this thread: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=159302

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2006, 10:17 am   #7 (permalink)
Bassplayer12
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hand over hand steering

>>I learned that the recommended and safer position was 10 and 4 o'clock.
>>Not true anymore?

>
> 10 & 4?? If you mean 10 & 2, that was a recommended hand position
> before air bags came along.


http://tinyurl.com/nrutz

Forget "10 and 2"

Many of us were taught to drive with our hands at the "10" and "2" (o'clock)
positions on the steering wheel. Some drivers prefer to drive with one hand
at the top (12:00) or the bottom (6 o'clock) of the steering wheel. Yet none
of these are optimum positions for hand placement in today's vehicles. The
current recommendation for hand placement (if you imagine your steering
wheel is a clock) is anywhere between 7 o'clock and 9 o'clock for your left
hand and between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock for your right hand. Although it
may feel strange to have your hands so low on the steering wheel, this
actually provides better control than the "10 and 2" method. A lower hand
position makes it less likely that you will overcorrect during an emergency
maneuver, which is what often causes spins, slides, and rollovers. This
position is also better from an ergonomic standpoint. In this position, the
upper arms are closer to the sides of the body and the forearms are slightly
bent, which alleviates fatigue on the shoulders and back.


> Hands in those positions interfere with airbag deployment. That's the
> polite way of saying you will end up with broken arms if the bags go
> off.



  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2006, 01:42 pm   #8 (permalink)
Ben
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hand over hand steering

I prefer to drive with my left knee at about 6:30 while talking on my
cell phone with my left hand and drinking a beer (or eating, smoking,
or flipping people off) with my right. These are standard practice
here in Maryland.

Seriously, the 10 and 2 positions seem likely to rip both your arms off
if the airbag deploys. I imagine some people think of an airbag as a
soft fluffy pillow... rather, it's like getting hit with a 60
mile-per-hour pillow. I keep my hands at the bottom of the steering
wheel unless I'm getting stopped by a cop, then they immediately go to
10 and 2 (so they can see my hands... they appreciate these kinds of
courtesies).

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2006, 06:08 pm   #9 (permalink)
Don Fearn
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hand over hand steering

I think it was Doctor J
<Doctor.J.2feyub@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> who stated:

>Good drivers mostly suffer from the rear end collisions.


Really?

>Keeping hands
>between 10-2 or 9-3 positions will allow sharper turns and better
>steering control when driving over the uneven road.


Really?



Where is this information coming from?

Are you just making it up?

Or are they things that "everybody knows"?

-Don (curious to learn more)
--
Pooder approved this post . . . .
  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2006, 09:50 am   #10 (permalink)
ycleptor2@cs.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hand over hand steering

One question for ya'll. How often do your air bags deploy?


Ben wrote:
> I prefer to drive with my left knee at about 6:30 while talking on my
> cell phone with my left hand and drinking a beer (or eating, smoking,
> or flipping people off) with my right. These are standard practice
> here in Maryland.
>
> Seriously, the 10 and 2 positions seem likely to rip both your arms off
> if the airbag deploys. I imagine some people think of an airbag as a
> soft fluffy pillow... rather, it's like getting hit with a 60
> mile-per-hour pillow. I keep my hands at the bottom of the steering
> wheel unless I'm getting stopped by a cop, then they immediately go to
> 10 and 2 (so they can see my hands... they appreciate these kinds of
> courtesies).


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.