Mysterious Dash Light

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2006, 01:49 am   #1 (permalink)
Father Guido
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Mysterious Dash Light

I have a '99 XLE V6 with the following mysterious light indication
yesterday, I didn't get any manuals with it and wonder if anyone
has experienced the same problem.

The emergency brake indicator came on after I started driving
yesterday, but then it would intermittently go out. After dinner this
light seemed to only come on when I had my foot on the brake and go
out when I lifted my foot off the brake. I bought the car 3 years ago,
and the brakes haven't been checked -- could this light be used as a
low brake pad indicator like the so called brake squealers?

The weather yesterday was quite cold and wet (snow) and I thought that
maybe the emergency brake cable could have got frozen from slush being
thrown up underneath -- is that common? I never experienced anything
like this the past two winters.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2006, 02:07 am   #2 (permalink)
mack
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious Dash Light


"Father Guido" <NoMore@Spam.Please> wrote in message
news:6jvdk2pub0uh2hv4u631lo33ffimcng9ej@4ax.com...
>I have a '99 XLE V6 with the following mysterious light indication
> yesterday, I didn't get any manuals with it and wonder if anyone
> has experienced the same problem.
>
> The emergency brake indicator came on after I started driving
> yesterday, but then it would intermittently go out. After dinner this
> light seemed to only come on when I had my foot on the brake and go
> out when I lifted my foot off the brake. I bought the car 3 years ago,
> and the brakes haven't been checked -- could this light be used as a
> low brake pad indicator like the so called brake squealers?


Just a guess, but have you checked your brake fluid reservoir under the
hood, and is it full? low brake fluid triggers a dashboard light to go in.


  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2006, 04:50 am   #3 (permalink)
mjc
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious Dash Light

mack wrote:
> "Father Guido" <NoMore@Spam.Please> wrote in message
> news:6jvdk2pub0uh2hv4u631lo33ffimcng9ej@4ax.com...
>
>>I have a '99 XLE V6 with the following mysterious light indication
>>yesterday, I didn't get any manuals with it and wonder if anyone
>>has experienced the same problem.
>>
>>The emergency brake indicator came on after I started driving
>>yesterday, but then it would intermittently go out. After dinner this
>>light seemed to only come on when I had my foot on the brake and go
>>out when I lifted my foot off the brake. I bought the car 3 years ago,
>>and the brakes haven't been checked -- could this light be used as a
>>low brake pad indicator like the so called brake squealers?

>
>
> Just a guess, but have you checked your brake fluid reservoir under the
> hood, and is it full? low brake fluid triggers a dashboard light to go in.
>
>


Yes, it could be low brake fluid or a failing master cylinder.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:56 am   #4 (permalink)
Stubby
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious Dash Light



mjc<DELETETHIS>13 wrote:
> mack wrote:
>> "Father Guido" <NoMore@Spam.Please> wrote in message
>> news:6jvdk2pub0uh2hv4u631lo33ffimcng9ej@4ax.com...
>>
>>> I have a '99 XLE V6 with the following mysterious light indication
>>> yesterday, I didn't get any manuals with it and wonder if anyone
>>> has experienced the same problem.
>>>
>>> The emergency brake indicator came on after I started driving
>>> yesterday, but then it would intermittently go out. After dinner this
>>> light seemed to only come on when I had my foot on the brake and go
>>> out when I lifted my foot off the brake. I bought the car 3 years ago,
>>> and the brakes haven't been checked -- could this light be used as a
>>> low brake pad indicator like the so called brake squealers?

>>
>>
>> Just a guess, but have you checked your brake fluid reservoir under
>> the hood, and is it full? low brake fluid triggers a dashboard light
>> to go in.
>>

>
> Yes, it could be low brake fluid or a failing master cylinder.


Or just well worn brake pads.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:58 am   #5 (permalink)
JoeSpareBedroom
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious Dash Light

"Father Guido" <NoMore@Spam.Please> wrote in message
news:6jvdk2pub0uh2hv4u631lo33ffimcng9ej@4ax.com...
>I have a '99 XLE V6 with the following mysterious light indication
> yesterday, I didn't get any manuals with it and wonder if anyone
> has experienced the same problem.
>
> The emergency brake indicator came on after I started driving
> yesterday, but then it would intermittently go out. After dinner this
> light seemed to only come on when I had my foot on the brake and go
> out when I lifted my foot off the brake. I bought the car 3 years ago,
> and the brakes haven't been checked -- could this light be used as a
> low brake pad indicator like the so called brake squealers?
>
> The weather yesterday was quite cold and wet (snow) and I thought that
> maybe the emergency brake cable could have got frozen from slush being
> thrown up underneath -- is that common? I never experienced anything
> like this the past two winters.


The switch for the e-brake could be out of adjustment. As far as it
indicating other problems in the braking system, does you manual say this is
another function of that light?


  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2006, 11:40 am   #6 (permalink)
EdV
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious Dash Light

I dont know exactly for the Camry, but on some cars this could mean
that your brake light is dead. Step on your brakes and ask someone to
look at the rear end to see if some bulbs are out.

  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2006, 12:45 pm   #7 (permalink)
Stubby
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious Dash Light

EdV wrote:
> I dont know exactly for the Camry, but on some cars this could mean
> that your brake light is dead. Step on your brakes and ask someone to
> look at the rear end to see if some bulbs are out.


And, I believe the error light is only cleared when the ignition is
turned on. So, even if the condition causing the error goes away, the
light will not go out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2006, 10:29 pm   #8 (permalink)
Father Guido
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious Dash Light

Excellent suggestions folks. I will check the bulbs and master
cylinder level first thing in the morning.

Thanks again,

Norm
  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2006, 05:30 am   #9 (permalink)
JoeSpareBedroom
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious Dash Light

"Father Guido" <NoMore@Spam.Please> wrote in message
news:9h8gk2hgfl04nh4a1c059vcci2rqgkqccf@4ax.com...
> Excellent suggestions folks. I will check the bulbs and master
> cylinder level first thing in the morning.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Norm


Do not check the manual.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2006, 06:09 pm   #10 (permalink)
Father Guido
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious Dash Light

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:30:05 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
<dishborealis@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Father Guido" <NoMore@Spam.Please> wrote in message
>news:9h8gk2hgfl04nh4a1c059vcci2rqgkqccf@4ax.com.. .
>> Excellent suggestions folks. I will check the bulbs and master
>> cylinder level first thing in the morning.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Norm

>
>Do not check the manual.
>

I would if I had one, read my original post.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.