'84 Camry Front End Vibration

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2006, 09:48 am   #1 (permalink)
james
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default '84 Camry Front End Vibration

I have one of the first Camrys. Its an '84 with a 4 cyl gas engine
and an automatic transmission. I know the front shocks are worn (very
little dampening) and I know the front end needs alignment because
when I replaced the front tires last month the inner treads were
excessively worn but since the new tires were installed the front end
vibrates at about 55 mph, more than it used to. Question: assuming
the tires are correctly balanced; would faulty alignment cause a
vibration; or worn shocks, or transmission problems (overdrive seems
to be worse) or tie rods? I only have a few dollars to spend on this
and I.m hoping to hit the problem on the first try. Any advice?
Thanks...James
  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2006, 12:35 pm   #2 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '84 Camry Front End Vibration


james wrote:
> I only have a few dollars to spend on this
> and I.m hoping to hit the problem on the first try. Any advice?

=============
See:
http://www.gsp9700.com/
and find a shop that uses the "road force balancing."
If they dont' know what that is, keep looking.
You say the problem woresened after new tires, so that should solve it.
Worn front end components are a separate issue.
Obviously, worn bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends and struts can
create extra play, but if they're not dangerously worn, and your funds
are limited, being the problem worsened with new tires, try this first.

  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2006, 01:19 pm   #3 (permalink)
mack
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '84 Camry Front End Vibration


"james" <james@home.com> wrote in message
news:8vmmk2lbs6ims9cn6cchu7g9rflra96gcu@4ax.com...
>I have one of the first Camrys. Its an '84 with a 4 cyl gas engine
> and an automatic transmission. I know the front shocks are worn (very
> little dampening) and I know the front end needs alignment because
> when I replaced the front tires last month the inner treads were
> excessively worn but since the new tires were installed the front end
> vibrates at about 55 mph, more than it used to. Question: assuming
> the tires are correctly balanced; would faulty alignment cause a
> vibration; or worn shocks, or transmission problems (overdrive seems
> to be worse) or tie rods? I only have a few dollars to spend on this
> and I.m hoping to hit the problem on the first try. Any advice?
> Thanks...James


Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, but a 22 year old car with likely
high mileage is probably going to be the victim of all of the above
ills..... Why not try to find a qualified mechanic with vast experience in
steering and suspensions and try for a free (or low cost) estimate of the
problem(s). Trying to analyze a condition from half a continent away by
email without driving the car is a futile exercise. Go to someone who can
give you a definitive answer regarding the problems and the costs involved.

good luck!


  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2006, 01:46 pm   #4 (permalink)
Doctor J
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '84 Camry Front End Vibration


Switch the rear wheels to the front, and front to rear. If front end is
not vibrating now, the front wheels may be bent. Tire wear on the
inside edge is due to improper toe-out setting which can be caused by
lower ball joint wear and /or defective bushings in lower control arm


--
Doctor J
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doctor J's Profile: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/me...p?userid=53661
View this thread: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=163612

  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2006, 03:00 pm   #5 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '84 Camry Front End Vibration

It could be rims or poor balancing or even a defective tire, My new ones
were improperly balanced.

  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2006, 03:45 pm   #6 (permalink)
Stubby
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '84 Camry Front End Vibration

Right. Steel belts can get dented by potholes and cause vibration.
You can swap tires, and balance, etc 'til you're blue in the face with
out fixing it. Get on the highway at 71 mph and there it is again.


m Ransley wrote:
> It could be rims or poor balancing or even a defective tire, My new ones
> were improperly balanced.
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2006, 09:26 pm   #7 (permalink)
EdV
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '84 Camry Front End Vibration

Lift the front end up, the front wheels should be still even if you
push and pull on wheels.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.