May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2006, 03:44 pm   #1 (permalink)
slakka
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??


May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??


Dear newsgroup,
I wonder if I may ask you, who in your opinion is the most
knowledgeable person for me to ask about a Toyota transmission, 1991
Camry please? I gotta wee bit of a problem (actually me mum). Any
thoughts you may share with me would be very appreciated and thanks in
advance!

Most Gratefully, big ed


PS Please don't respond to email above. Its unopenable.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2006, 07:29 pm   #2 (permalink)
Hachiroku
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:44:08 -0800, slakka wrote:

>
> May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??
>
>
> Dear newsgroup,
> I wonder if I may ask you, who in your opinion is the most
> knowledgeable person for me to ask about a Toyota transmission, 1991
> Camry please? I gotta wee bit of a problem (actually me mum). Any
> thoughts you may share with me would be very appreciated and thanks in
> advance!
>
> Most Gratefully, big ed
>
>
> PS Please don't respond to email above. Its unopenable.


Ray is the best, but none of us will have any idea whatsoever if you don't
ask!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2006, 07:37 pm   #3 (permalink)
Gary L. Burnore
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??

On 9 Nov 2006 13:44:08 -0800, "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??
>
>
>Dear newsgroup,
> I wonder if I may ask you, who in your opinion is the most
>knowledgeable person for me to ask about a Toyota transmission, 1991
>Camry please? I gotta wee bit of a problem (actually me mum). Any
>thoughts you may share with me would be very appreciated and thanks in
>advance!


Ask the question. You'll get answers.
--
gburnore at DataBasix dot Com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
How you look depends on where you go.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary L. Burnore | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
| ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
Official .sig, Accept no substitutes. | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
| 0 1 7 2 3 / ݳ 3 7 4 9 3 0 ۳
Black Helicopter Repair Services, Ltd.| Official Proof of Purchase
================================================== =========================
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2006, 09:23 pm   #4 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??

I think jim is better than Ray but hes gone fishin

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2006, 09:41 pm   #5 (permalink)
slakka
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??

OK here goes. I got a 91 camry auto trans. It seems like occasionally
when shifting from neutral to reverse its gives like a violent CLUNK.
Other times it shifts very smoothly. I was told its not the motor
mounts so im thinking tranny. Any ideas, and who is Ray?

e

Gary L. Burnore wrote:
> On 9 Nov 2006 13:44:08 -0800, "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??
> >
> >
> >Dear newsgroup,
> > I wonder if I may ask you, who in your opinion is the most
> >knowledgeable person for me to ask about a Toyota transmission, 1991
> >Camry please? I gotta wee bit of a problem (actually me mum). Any
> >thoughts you may share with me would be very appreciated and thanks in
> >advance!

>
> Ask the question. You'll get answers.
> --
> gburnore at DataBasix dot Com
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> How you look depends on where you go.
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Gary L. Burnore | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
> | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
> Official .sig, Accept no substitutes. | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
> | 0 1 7 2 3 / ݳ 3 74 9 3 0 ۳
> Black Helicopter Repair Services, Ltd.| Official Proof of Purchase
> ================================================== =========================


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2006, 09:47 pm   #6 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??


"slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1163108648.767684.79460@f16g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
>
> May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??
>
>
> Dear newsgroup,
> I wonder if I may ask you, who in your opinion is the most
> knowledgeable person for me to ask about a Toyota transmission, 1991
> Camry please? I gotta wee bit of a problem (actually me mum). Any
> thoughts you may share with me would be very appreciated and thanks in
> advance!
>
> Most Gratefully, big ed
>
>
> PS Please don't respond to email above. Its unopenable.
>


When you ask your question, please include some background information,
like:
Mileage on the car and transmission (if the transmission is not original)
Transmission service and repair history
Transmission type, e.g. automatic or manual
If the transmission is acting up, what is happening, what vehicle speeds,
what engine RPM, how long the car has been driven when it acts up, what gear
(if you know what gear), whether the brakes are applied, whether the "OD
off" light on the instrument panel is flashing
Condition of transmission fluid, e.g. red and translucent, brown and burnt
smelling, black and burnt smelling, last time the transmission fluid was
changed and what type of facility did the service
Whether anyone who drives the car brakes with their left foot
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2006, 10:10 pm   #7 (permalink)
slakka
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??

Sir thank you for your swift response. i may have to re post next week
as im away from the car at the moment and unable to go over particulars
u requested. iow car in question is at me mums Please bear?
ed

When you ask your question, please include some background information,

like:
Mileage on the car and transmission (if the transmission is not
original)
Transmission service and repair history
Transmission type, e.g. automatic or manual
If the transmission is acting up, what is happening, what vehicle
speeds,
what engine RPM, how long the car has been driven when it acts up, what
gear
(if you know what gear), whether the brakes are applied, whether the
"OD
off" light on the instrument panel is flashing
Condition of transmission fluid, e.g. red and translucent, brown and
burnt
smelling, black and burnt smelling, last time the transmission fluid
was
changed and what type of facility did the service
Whether anyone who drives the car brakes with their left foot

Ray O wrote:
> "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1163108648.767684.79460@f16g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
> >
> > May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??
> >
> >
> > Dear newsgroup,
> > I wonder if I may ask you, who in your opinion is the most
> > knowledgeable person for me to ask about a Toyota transmission, 1991
> > Camry please? I gotta wee bit of a problem (actually me mum). Any
> > thoughts you may share with me would be very appreciated and thanks in
> > advance!
> >
> > Most Gratefully, big ed
> >
> >
> > PS Please don't respond to email above. Its unopenable.
> >

>
> When you ask your question, please include some background information,
> like:
> Mileage on the car and transmission (if the transmission is not original)
> Transmission service and repair history
> Transmission type, e.g. automatic or manual
> If the transmission is acting up, what is happening, what vehicle speeds,
> what engine RPM, how long the car has been driven when it acts up, what gear
> (if you know what gear), whether the brakes are applied, whether the "OD
> off" light on the instrument panel is flashing
> Condition of transmission fluid, e.g. red and translucent, brown and burnt
> smelling, black and burnt smelling, last time the transmission fluid was
> changed and what type of facility did the service
> Whether anyone who drives the car brakes with their left foot
> --
>
> Ray O
> (correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2006, 10:18 pm   #8 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??


"slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1163131824.786104.190530@h48g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> Sir thank you for your swift response. i may have to re post next week
> as im away from the car at the moment and unable to go over particulars
> u requested. iow car in question is at me mums Please bear?
> ed
>


You are welcome! Is mum having a problem with the car?
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


> When you ask your question, please include some background information,
>
> like:
> Mileage on the car and transmission (if the transmission is not
> original)
> Transmission service and repair history
> Transmission type, e.g. automatic or manual
> If the transmission is acting up, what is happening, what vehicle
> speeds,
> what engine RPM, how long the car has been driven when it acts up, what
> gear
> (if you know what gear), whether the brakes are applied, whether the
> "OD
> off" light on the instrument panel is flashing
> Condition of transmission fluid, e.g. red and translucent, brown and
> burnt
> smelling, black and burnt smelling, last time the transmission fluid
> was
> changed and what type of facility did the service
> Whether anyone who drives the car brakes with their left foot
>
> Ray O wrote:
>> "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1163108648.767684.79460@f16g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
>> >
>> > May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??
>> >
>> >
>> > Dear newsgroup,
>> > I wonder if I may ask you, who in your opinion is the most
>> > knowledgeable person for me to ask about a Toyota transmission, 1991
>> > Camry please? I gotta wee bit of a problem (actually me mum). Any
>> > thoughts you may share with me would be very appreciated and thanks in
>> > advance!
>> >
>> > Most Gratefully, big ed
>> >
>> >
>> > PS Please don't respond to email above. Its unopenable.
>> >

>>
>> When you ask your question, please include some background information,
>> like:
>> Mileage on the car and transmission (if the transmission is not original)
>> Transmission service and repair history
>> Transmission type, e.g. automatic or manual
>> If the transmission is acting up, what is happening, what vehicle speeds,
>> what engine RPM, how long the car has been driven when it acts up, what
>> gear
>> (if you know what gear), whether the brakes are applied, whether the "OD
>> off" light on the instrument panel is flashing
>> Condition of transmission fluid, e.g. red and translucent, brown and
>> burnt
>> smelling, black and burnt smelling, last time the transmission fluid was
>> changed and what type of facility did the service
>> Whether anyone who drives the car brakes with their left foot
>> --
>>
>> Ray O
>> (correct punctuation to reply)

>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2006, 10:51 pm   #9 (permalink)
mjc
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??

slakka wrote:
> OK here goes. I got a 91 camry auto trans. It seems like occasionally
> when shifting from neutral to reverse its gives like a violent CLUNK.
> Other times it shifts very smoothly. I was told its not the motor
> mounts so im thinking tranny. Any ideas, and who is Ray?
>
> e


I don't know Ray, but this happens most often when people
shift to Reverse (or Drive) when the engine is cold and still on
"high idle". If the engine is running faster than normal idle,
you get a big 'clunk'. If this is what's happening, there are two
ways to deal with it: wait for the engine to slow a bit as the
temp sensor registers some heat, or *carefully* shift into gear
with your foot off the brake. If you do this, make sure that you
have the right gear and there are no obstacles, because the car
will lurch forward or backwards! There will be no clunk, though.

If the car does this when warm and idling normally, disregard
the above, and ask Ray. ;-)




>
> Gary L. Burnore wrote:
>
>>On 9 Nov 2006 13:44:08 -0800, "slakka" <iggy07450@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??
>>>
>>>
>>>Dear newsgroup,
>>>I wonder if I may ask you, who in your opinion is the most
>>>knowledgeable person for me to ask about a Toyota transmission, 1991
>>>Camry please? I gotta wee bit of a problem (actually me mum). Any
>>>thoughts you may share with me would be very appreciated and thanks in
>>>advance!

>>
>>Ask the question. You'll get answers.
>>--
>>gburnore at DataBasix dot Com
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> How you look depends on where you go.
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>Gary L. Burnore | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
>> | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
>>Official .sig, Accept no substitutes. | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
>> | 0 1 7 2 3 / ݳ 3 7 4 9 3 0 ۳
>>Black Helicopter Repair Services, Ltd.| Official Proof of Purchase
>>================================================ ===========================

>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2006, 12:55 am   #10 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: May I ask a Toyota transmission question please??


"mjc<DELETETHIS>13 13 @verizon.net>" <"mjc<DELETETHIS> wrote in message
news:1zT4h.11217$bg7.2323@trndny04...
> slakka wrote:
>> OK here goes. I got a 91 camry auto trans. It seems like occasionally
>> when shifting from neutral to reverse its gives like a violent CLUNK.
>> Other times it shifts very smoothly. I was told its not the motor
>> mounts so im thinking tranny. Any ideas, and who is Ray?
>>
>> e

>
> I don't know Ray, but this happens most often when people shift to
> Reverse (or Drive) when the engine is cold and still on
> "high idle". If the engine is running faster than normal idle, you get a
> big 'clunk'. If this is what's happening, there are two ways to deal with
> it: wait for the engine to slow a bit as the temp sensor registers some
> heat, or *carefully* shift into gear with your foot off the brake. If you
> do this, make sure that you
> have the right gear and there are no obstacles, because the car will lurch
> forward or backwards! There will be no clunk, though.
>
> If the car does this when warm and idling normally, disregard the
> above, and ask Ray. ;-)
>


Sounds are very difficult to diagnose without actually hearing them
firsthand.

Bad motor mounts can cause a clunk when shifting from neutral or forward to
reverse, and vice versa.

I do not recommend shifting from neutral or changing directions without a
foot firmly on the brake, especially for elderly drivers, because of the
potential for loss of control of the vehicle. I've noticed that a lot of
people shift from forward to reverse and vice versa without bringing the
vehicle to a complete stop. Even if the vehicle is barely moving when
changing directions, this puts a lot of wear on the transmission. Besides
the safety factor, it is much kinder to the transmission to come to a
complete stop before shifting.

Check to make sure that the transmission fluid level is correct on the
transmission dipstick and check the condition of the automatic transmission
fluid.

Depending on the mileage and driving habits, besides bad motor or
transmission mounts, free play in the constant velocity joints and
suspension can cause clunk sounds.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.