power steering fluid leak

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Nov 2006, 10:14 pm   #1 (permalink)
sonali via CarKB.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default power steering fluid leak

I have a 95 toyota camry.I need to replace the rack and pinion of power
steering.This is going to cost me $600.I am trying to do it myself as I can't
afford to spend so much.
Can someone suggest me suitable jack stands for 95 toyota camry?
I also need step by step instructions to replace the rack and pinion of power
steeing.Thanks in advance.

--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...camry/200611/1

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:52 am   #2 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: power steering fluid leak

sonali via CarKB.com wrote:

> Can someone suggest me suitable jack stands for 95 toyota camry?
> I also need step by step instructions to replace the rack and pinion of power
> steeing.Thanks in advance.

===============
Just use generic 2 ton jack stands.
Place at the front subframe.

For instructions, see "Steering" section:

http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/

  Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2006, 03:18 pm   #3 (permalink)
JM
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: power steering fluid leak


"sonali via CarKB.com" <u29098@uwe> wrote in message
news:694e6b9d3b8cc@uwe...
>I have a 95 toyota camry.I need to replace the rack and pinion of power
> steering.This is going to cost me $600.I am trying to do it myself as I
> can't
> afford to spend so much.
> Can someone suggest me suitable jack stands for 95 toyota camry?
> I also need step by step instructions to replace the rack and pinion of
> power
> steeing.Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Message posted via CarKB.com
> http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...camry/200611/1



I had an fluid leak on my 95 Camry 4 last year.
Approx 78k Miles.
Had it checked at local garage. Told it was the steering pump leaking.
The pump was quoted at 400.00
Plus 200 fitting.

But I was not loosing fluid at all in the Dash pot I did mention this.
I think it went over there heads.

You may of course have bad steering I don't know.

I got a bottle of Gunk and cleaned all the back and top of the engine down.
Water on to wash clean.
Very difficult to see back there. But a mirror and touch helped.

The leak was from my Rocker Box cover.
It was leaking in the rear left corner.
Draining on to a little pipe.
Which then changed the direction of the leak to direct
over then onto the Power steering pump.

A half turn on the nuts holding down the gasket cured my problem.
I ordered a new gasket. Its not been needed yet.

Comment from garage. " well your lucky "

Year lucky not to be ripped off.

Johnny UK.


  Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2006, 04:03 pm   #4 (permalink)
sonali via CarKB.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: power steering fluid leak

Hey Daniel,
Thanks a lot.I recently baught 2 ton jacks.Now I will get started soon!!


Daniel wrote:
>> Can someone suggest me suitable jack stands for 95 toyota camry?
>> I also need step by step instructions to replace the rack and pinion of power
>> steeing.Thanks in advance.

>===============
>Just use generic 2 ton jack stands.
>Place at the front subframe.
>
>For instructions, see "Steering" section:
>
>http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...camry/200611/1

  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2006, 10:22 am   #5 (permalink)
RichK
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: power steering fluid leak


"sonali via CarKB.com" <u29098@uwe> wrote in message
news:694e6b9d3b8cc@uwe...
> I have a 95 toyota camry.I need to replace the rack and pinion of power
> steering.This is going to cost me $600.I am trying to do it myself as I

can't
> afford to spend so much.


The leak may be outside the steering rack, in which case you do not need to
replace the rack itself. Have you checked the sources of the leak?

With a car this age, you may have the steel lines leaking, either leading to
the rack valve, or away from it. It depends on version.

RichK


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.