oil gel class action suit

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2006, 12:10 pm   #1 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default oil gel class action suit

I got a letter in the mail (my dad did too) re: the Toyota oil gel
class action suit.

We haven't had any problems (yet) with our Camries (I have a '99, my
dad has an '01, both 4-cylinders).

Would the dealer do a free inspection of the engines to see if there's
any sludge formation?

Just wondering what luck anyone's had with the number on the class
action suit, and what the dealer is willing to do.

Michael

  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2006, 01:28 pm   #2 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: oil gel class action suit

<mrdarrett@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1164737420.772369.175020@h54g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>I got a letter in the mail (my dad did too) re: the Toyota oil gel
> class action suit.
>
> We haven't had any problems (yet) with our Camries (I have a '99, my
> dad has an '01, both 4-cylinders).
>
> Would the dealer do a free inspection of the engines to see if there's
> any sludge formation?
>
> Just wondering what luck anyone's had with the number on the class
> action suit, and what the dealer is willing to do.
>
> Michael


If you have been changing your oil on a regular basis (at least every 7500
miles), then it is very unlikely that you have a gel problem. If you have
been using synthetic or synthetic blend and changing on a regular basis,
then it is virtually impossible that you have a gel problem.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2006, 04:22 pm   #3 (permalink)
Gary
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: oil gel class action suit


>
> If you have been changing your oil on a regular basis (at least every 7500
> miles), then it is very unlikely that you have a gel problem. If you have
> been using synthetic or synthetic blend and changing on a regular basis,
> then it is virtually impossible that you have a gel problem.
>
>


I changed my oil every 5-7k miles and it sludged up like nothing I had
ever seen before. '99 Camry I4. After cleaning it up I changed oil at 3k
mile intervals and never had another problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2006, 09:17 pm   #4 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: oil gel class action suit

Toyota cranked up the cylinder head temperature beginning in 97 (for
the then new low emissions rating). That cooked the oil in the cylinder
head and made it sludge up. You can own the 1996 5SFE 2.2L and won't
have that problem.

You'll have to change oil much more often than spec on some engines is
the only way to avoid it.


mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> I got a letter in the mail (my dad did too) re: the Toyota oil gel
> class action suit.
>
> We haven't had any problems (yet) with our Camries (I have a '99, my
> dad has an '01, both 4-cylinders).
>
> Would the dealer do a free inspection of the engines to see if there's
> any sludge formation?
>
> Just wondering what luck anyone's had with the number on the class
> action suit, and what the dealer is willing to do.
>
> Michael


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2006, 10:00 pm   #5 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: oil gel class action suit

<johngdole@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1165720651.851717.18590@f1g2000cwa.googlegrou ps.com...
> Toyota cranked up the cylinder head temperature beginning in 97 (for
> the then new low emissions rating). That cooked the oil in the cylinder
> head and made it sludge up. You can own the 1996 5SFE 2.2L and won't
> have that problem.
>
> You'll have to change oil much more often than spec on some engines is
> the only way to avoid it.


Or use a full synthetic.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2006, 12:10 am   #6 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: oil gel class action suit


Gary wrote:
> >
> > If you have been changing your oil on a regular basis (at least every 7500
> > miles), then it is very unlikely that you have a gel problem. If you have
> > been using synthetic or synthetic blend and changing on a regular basis,
> > then it is virtually impossible that you have a gel problem.
> >
> >

>
> I changed my oil every 5-7k miles and it sludged up like nothing I had
> ever seen before. '99 Camry I4. After cleaning it up I changed oil at 3k
> mile intervals and never had another problem.



How did you clean it up?

  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2006, 12:12 am   #7 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: oil gel class action suit


Mark A wrote:
> <mrdarrett@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1164737420.772369.175020@h54g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> >I got a letter in the mail (my dad did too) re: the Toyota oil gel
> > class action suit.
> >
> > We haven't had any problems (yet) with our Camries (I have a '99, my
> > dad has an '01, both 4-cylinders).
> >
> > Would the dealer do a free inspection of the engines to see if there's
> > any sludge formation?
> >
> > Just wondering what luck anyone's had with the number on the class
> > action suit, and what the dealer is willing to do.
> >
> > Michael

>
> If you have been changing your oil on a regular basis (at least every 7500
> miles), then it is very unlikely that you have a gel problem. If you have
> been using synthetic or synthetic blend and changing on a regular basis,
> then it is virtually impossible that you have a gel problem.



I got my '99 I4 used, 66k miles. Was a lease vehicle. Looked under
the valve covers, and there wasn't any sludge there that I could tell.

But, I get blue smoke on startup. Is this normal, or a bad sign?

  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2006, 01:56 am   #8 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: oil gel class action suit

<mrdarrett@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1165731127.089089.220150@73g2000cwn.googlegro ups.com...
> I got my '99 I4 used, 66k miles. Was a lease vehicle. Looked under
> the valve covers, and there wasn't any sludge there that I could tell.
>
> But, I get blue smoke on startup. Is this normal, or a bad sign?


Unless you removed the valve covers (not sure what you did) you will
probably not be able to tell if you have sludge.

Smoke at startup is not unusual for a 99 Toyota, especially if it goes away
when the car is warmed up. It usually is an indication or warn valves. But
if the smoke continues after warm-up, and especially if there is any smell
like burning oil, you might try a high mileage oil like MaxLife.

If the smoking does go away after warm-up, and you want to guard against
sludge in an older car, I would try a synthetic blend oil in a 10W-40
weight, which is sometimes sold as synthetic blend for small trucks. For a
new car starting out on synthetic I would use 5W-30.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2006, 08:33 am   #9 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: oil gel class action suit

http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html

I have no affiliation with this company.
The product began as a cleaner for industrial printing inks.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2006, 03:06 pm   #10 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: oil gel class action suit

VW had a similar problem with their turbo 1.8L engine. And they went to
a larger oil filter and increased oil capacity (dunno how they did
that) and had a specified list of synthetics to use apparently not all
synthetics quialify.



Mark A wrote:

> Or use a full synthetic.


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.