1991 Camry wagon - good deal?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2006, 09:04 am   #1 (permalink)
skybearer@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 1991 Camry wagon - good deal?

I'm looking for a older station wagon for local errands, and I like
Toyotas. Someone is selling a 1991 Camry wagon, 4-cylinder, 190,000
miles, for
around $1,000. The owner says it runs well, but it has some rust on the
body.

Is this a good deal? I'm looking for a cheap car that will last for a
couple of years without needing too much maintenance. Is 190,000 miles
too much?

SB

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2006, 12:01 pm   #2 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1991 Camry wagon - good deal?


skybearer@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm looking for a older station wagon for local errands, and I like
> Toyotas. Someone is selling a 1991 Camry wagon, 4-cylinder, 190,000
> miles, for
> around $1,000. The owner says it runs well, but it has some rust on the
> body.
>
> Is this a good deal? I'm looking for a cheap car that will last for a
> couple of years without needing too much maintenance. Is 190,000 miles
> too much?
>
> SB



An old car like this will probably need quite a bit of maintenance.
Maybe as much as, if not more than, the $1000.

Try and find something with less mileage. www.autotrader.com or
equivalent...

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2006, 03:43 pm   #3 (permalink)
EdV
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1991 Camry wagon - good deal?

you can goto www.kbb.com and get a suggested retail value of the car.

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2006, 04:01 pm   #4 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1991 Camry wagon - good deal?

skybearer@gmail.com wrote:
> Is this a good deal?

==================
You need to evaluate the condition of the car and the seller.
Actually the care the car has received can be more important than the
mileage or age.
What kind of documents does the seller have regarding maintenance?
Look at the car. Has it been pampered or neglected?
Look at the condition of the fluids (engine oil, transmission, power
steering, brake), and the interior (torn and ragged or old but clean).
Here are the questions I used:
"I'm calling about your car for sale"

Are you the Owner of the car? (deal direct with Owner only)

Why are you selling

Are you the original owner

Does it have a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine

What color is it

Does it have a sunroof (moonroof)

What is the mileage

What kind of condition is the paint

How about the interior

Tell me about the maintenance. Have you replaced:

Timing Belt - when, where (by whom), receipt?
Struts
A/C
oil changes - how do you keep track of mileage for oil changes
transmission oil/ filter change

Are service records available? (showing accurate odometer readings)

Smog Certificate, Pink Slip

Has this car ever been in an accident

Private residence required: i.e., always meet only at their home.

Mechanic check:

C.V. Boots
struts
frame damage
oil leaks
brakes
radiator
Air Conditioning
(check power window operation) (antenna) (lights)

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2006, 07:05 pm   #5 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1991 Camry wagon - good deal?

That many miles you cant know.

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2006, 08:27 pm   #6 (permalink)
bungalow_steve@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1991 Camry wagon - good deal?


Daniel wrote:
> skybearer@gmail.com wrote:
> > Is this a good deal?

> ==================
> You need to evaluate the condition of the car and the seller.
> Actually the care the car has received can be more important than the
> mileage or age.
> What kind of documents does the seller have regarding maintenance?
> Look at the car. Has it been pampered or neglected?
> Look at the condition of the fluids (engine oil, transmission, power
> steering, brake), and the interior (torn and ragged or old but clean).
> Here are the questions I used:
> "I'm calling about your car for sale"
>
> Are you the Owner of the car? (deal direct with Owner only)
>
> Why are you selling
>
> Are you the original owner
>
> Does it have a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine
>
> What color is it
>
> Does it have a sunroof (moonroof)
>
> What is the mileage
>
> What kind of condition is the paint
>
> How about the interior
>
> Tell me about the maintenance. Have you replaced:
>
> Timing Belt - when, where (by whom), receipt?
> Struts
> A/C
> oil changes - how do you keep track of mileage for oil changes
> transmission oil/ filter change
>
> Are service records available? (showing accurate odometer readings)
>
> Smog Certificate, Pink Slip
>
> Has this car ever been in an accident
>
> Private residence required: i.e., always meet only at their home.
>
> Mechanic check:
>
> C.V. Boots
> struts
> frame damage
> oil leaks
> brakes
> radiator
> Air Conditioning
> (check power window operation) (antenna) (lights)


air conditioning? operating antenna? service records? moonroof? paint
condition? oil leaks? this is 15 year old, 200K, $1000 car, not a 3
year old, low mile $20,000 car we are talking about

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2006, 11:27 pm   #7 (permalink)
sqdancerLynn
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1991 Camry wagon - good deal?

Rusty 91 Camry would give no more than $500

  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2006, 07:39 am   #8 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1991 Camry wagon - good deal?

I have a 91 109000, I put in maybe 2000 in the last few years and always
maintained and drove it right, it has rust, but I would not part with it
for 5000 as I could not get anything else as good, or know what I am
buying. You have to get a mechanic to look at it and drive it hard and
see if the tranny slips in higher gears when you get it hot, You could
get a car that needs 2-8000 soon, or get lucky and buy one maintained, I
suggest looking at the polution test results and doing a compression
test, among everything else to check, it might be a 100$ junker, but
200000 has pushed all the components life expectancy to fail possibly
tomorrow.

  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2006, 11:55 am   #9 (permalink)
mack
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1991 Camry wagon - good deal?


<bungalow_steve@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1166236020.486953.21530@t46g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
>
> Daniel wrote:
>> skybearer@gmail.com wrote:
>> > Is this a good deal?

>> ==================
>> You need to evaluate the condition of the car and the seller.
>> Actually the care the car has received can be more important than the
>> mileage or age.
>> What kind of documents does the seller have regarding maintenance?
>> Look at the car. Has it been pampered or neglected?
>> Look at the condition of the fluids (engine oil, transmission, power
>> steering, brake), and the interior (torn and ragged or old but clean).
>> Here are the questions I used:
>> "I'm calling about your car for sale"
>>
>> Are you the Owner of the car? (deal direct with Owner only)
>>
>> Why are you selling
>>
>> Are you the original owner
>>
>> Does it have a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine
>>
>> What color is it
>>
>> Does it have a sunroof (moonroof)
>>
>> What is the mileage
>>
>> What kind of condition is the paint
>>
>> How about the interior
>>
>> Tell me about the maintenance. Have you replaced:
>>
>> Timing Belt - when, where (by whom), receipt?
>> Struts
>> A/C
>> oil changes - how do you keep track of mileage for oil changes
>> transmission oil/ filter change
>>
>> Are service records available? (showing accurate odometer readings)
>>
>> Smog Certificate, Pink Slip
>>
>> Has this car ever been in an accident
>>
>> Private residence required: i.e., always meet only at their home.
>>
>> Mechanic check:
>>
>> C.V. Boots
>> struts
>> frame damage
>> oil leaks
>> brakes
>> radiator
>> Air Conditioning
>> (check power window operation) (antenna) (lights)

>
> air conditioning? operating antenna? service records? moonroof? paint
> condition? oil leaks? this is 15 year old, 200K, $1000 car, not a 3
> year old, low mile $20,000 car we are talking about


Quite right. About the time you get to your fourth question, the seller
will say "Hey, this is a 1991 car for a grand, and I don't need the Spanish
Inquisition about this!"...and hang up.
Even at a dealer's used lot, with an eight year old car for $5000, you'll
likely get a response like "I don't have a clue about all the questions you
pose....maybe you should get a NEW car!"


  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2006, 04:53 pm   #10 (permalink)
bungalow_steve@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1991 Camry wagon - good deal?


mack wrote:
> <bungalow_steve@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1166236020.486953.21530@t46g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> >
> > Daniel wrote:
> >> skybearer@gmail.com wrote:
> >> > Is this a good deal?
> >> ==================
> >> You need to evaluate the condition of the car and the seller.
> >> Actually the care the car has received can be more important than the
> >> mileage or age.
> >> What kind of documents does the seller have regarding maintenance?
> >> Look at the car. Has it been pampered or neglected?
> >> Look at the condition of the fluids (engine oil, transmission, power
> >> steering, brake), and the interior (torn and ragged or old but clean).
> >> Here are the questions I used:
> >> "I'm calling about your car for sale"
> >>
> >> Are you the Owner of the car? (deal direct with Owner only)
> >>
> >> Why are you selling
> >>
> >> Are you the original owner
> >>
> >> Does it have a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine
> >>
> >> What color is it
> >>
> >> Does it have a sunroof (moonroof)
> >>
> >> What is the mileage
> >>
> >> What kind of condition is the paint
> >>
> >> How about the interior
> >>
> >> Tell me about the maintenance. Have you replaced:
> >>
> >> Timing Belt - when, where (by whom), receipt?
> >> Struts
> >> A/C
> >> oil changes - how do you keep track of mileage for oil changes
> >> transmission oil/ filter change
> >>
> >> Are service records available? (showing accurate odometer readings)
> >>
> >> Smog Certificate, Pink Slip
> >>
> >> Has this car ever been in an accident
> >>
> >> Private residence required: i.e., always meet only at their home.
> >>
> >> Mechanic check:
> >>
> >> C.V. Boots
> >> struts
> >> frame damage
> >> oil leaks
> >> brakes
> >> radiator
> >> Air Conditioning
> >> (check power window operation) (antenna) (lights)

> >
> > air conditioning? operating antenna? service records? moonroof? paint
> > condition? oil leaks? this is 15 year old, 200K, $1000 car, not a 3
> > year old, low mile $20,000 car we are talking about

>
> Quite right. About the time you get to your fourth question, the seller
> will say "Hey, this is a 1991 car for a grand, and I don't need the Spanish
> Inquisition about this!"...and hang up.
> Even at a dealer's used lot, with an eight year old car for $5000, you'll
> likely get a response like "I don't have a clue about all the questions you
> pose....maybe you should get a NEW car!"


Indeed, I was just at a Toyota dealer looking at a 2005 Certified
highlander for $20K+ and while looking at the engine I asked if any
service records were available, he looked at me like I just landed a
space ship from Jupiter, I honestly don't think anyone ever asked him
that question before, after hesitating he said "nah, but we did just
change the oil, look see how clean the oil looks! " (showing me the dip
stick). The truck had 24K miles on it and he said "at least you know it
was changed once in the last 24K miles, worse case".

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.