Sound like a fuel pump?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm   #1 (permalink)
muzician21
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Sound like a fuel pump?

89 Toyota Cressida. Over the last month or so I've experienced an
intermittent crank/no start that lasted a minute or so, then the car
fired up with a bit of a sputter, would start and run like a clock
until the next time maybe a week or two later. Tonight had to have it
towed in, simply wouldn't start.

The original fuel pump going south sound like a likely culprit? Or
does something else jump to the front of the list of suspects?

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2011, 12:05 am   #2 (permalink)
Hachiroku
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Sound like a fuel pump?

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 19:44:28 -0700, muzician21 wrote:

> 89 Toyota Cressida. Over the last month or so I've experienced an
> intermittent crank/no start that lasted a minute or so, then the car
> fired up with a bit of a sputter, would start and run like a clock
> until the next time maybe a week or two later. Tonight had to have it
> towed in, simply wouldn't start.
>
> The original fuel pump going south sound like a likely culprit? Or
> does something else jump to the front of the list of suspects?
>
> Thanks.



Does it crank? You can borrow a fuel pressure gauge at AutoZone and check
the fuel pressure. Toyota fuel pumps rarely go bad.


  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2011, 12:34 am   #3 (permalink)
muzician21
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Sound like a fuel pump?

On Jul 27, 12:05*am, Hachiroku <Tru...@e86.GTS> wrote:

>
> Does it crank? You can borrow a fuel pressure gauge at AutoZone and check
> the fuel pressure. Toyota fuel pumps rarely go bad.



Yes, cranks. Has 170k on the original pump.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2011, 01:51 am   #4 (permalink)
Hachiroku
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Sound like a fuel pump?

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 21:34:30 -0700, muzician21 wrote:

> On Jul 27, 12:05*am, Hachiroku <Tru...@e86.GTS> wrote:
>
>>
>> Does it crank? You can borrow a fuel pressure gauge at AutoZone and check
>> the fuel pressure. Toyota fuel pumps rarely go bad.

>
>
> Yes, cranks. Has 170k on the original pump.



Could be fuel filter. I don't know where it is on a Cressida, but on a
Supra (basically the same car) it's above the rear diff, and a PITA!


  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2011, 07:04 am   #5 (permalink)
muzician21
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Sound like a fuel pump?

On Jul 27, 1:51*am, Hachiroku <Tru...@e86.GTS> wrote:

> > Yes, cranks. Has 170k on the original pump.

>
> Could be fuel filter. I don't know where it is on a Cressida, but on a
> Supra (basically the same car) it's above the rear diff, and a PITA!



Filter is under the intake. Kinda doubt it's a culprit, it was changed
new within the last couple of years. I would think if it was clogged
badly enough to prevent a start, it wouldn't then run fine for a
couple of weeks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2011, 09:43 am   #6 (permalink)
muzician21
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Sound like a fuel pump?

Other observation, I whacked on the fuel tank a few times in various
places this morning with a rubber mallet, the car started right up.

  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2011, 12:05 pm   #7 (permalink)
hls
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Sound like a fuel pump?


"muzician21" <muzician21@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:2d3f69f1-2ff4-4784-b7dc-7cad5a996df8@r12g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
> Other observation, I whacked on the fuel tank a few times in various
> places this morning with a rubber mallet, the car started right up.


This is a good way to spend a lot of money.....guessing.
You need to diagnose the real problem when it exists, and I
full well realize how hard intermittents can be to find.

  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2011, 12:46 pm   #8 (permalink)
willameena
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Sound like a fuel pump?

On Jul 27, 9:43*am, muzician21 <muzicia...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Other observation, I whacked on the fuel tank a few times in various
> places this morning with a rubber mallet, the car started right up.


Put a fuel pump in it and quit wasting or time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2011, 01:50 pm   #9 (permalink)
muzician21
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Sound like a fuel pump?

On Jul 27, 12:05*pm, "hls" <h...@nospam.nix> wrote:
> "muzician21" <muzicia...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> news:2d3f69f1-2ff4-4784-b7dc-7cad5a996df8@r12g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Other observation, I whacked on the fuel tank a few times in various
> > places this morning with a rubber mallet, the car started right up.

>
> This is a good way to spend a lot of money.....guessing.
> You need to diagnose the real problem when it exists, and I
> full well realize how hard intermittents can be to find.



What I was hoping for are alternate suggestions of places to look if
not the fuel pump. If I felt I had all the answers I wouldn't be on
here asking. "Ask around for suggestions" has worked out pretty well
over the years.

It's an all or nothing scenario that started occurring suddenly. Car
either runs great or doesn't run at all. 22 year old factory pump with
over 170k miles on it. Does this sound like behavior an aging pump can
exhibit, suddenly gets stubborn about spinning up? What else could
cause this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2011, 02:38 pm   #10 (permalink)
Scott Dorsey
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Sound like a fuel pump?

muzician21 <muzician21@yahoo.com> wrote:
>What I was hoping for are alternate suggestions of places to look if
>not the fuel pump. If I felt I had all the answers I wouldn't be on
>here asking. "Ask around for suggestions" has worked out pretty well
>over the years.


Folks have suggested that you measure the fuel pressure at the rail. This
will tell you most of what you want to know.

>It's an all or nothing scenario that started occurring suddenly. Car
>either runs great or doesn't run at all. 22 year old factory pump with
>over 170k miles on it. Does this sound like behavior an aging pump can
>exhibit, suddenly gets stubborn about spinning up? What else could
>cause this?


Lots of things, including some ignition failures.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.