How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2012, 03:02 pm   #1 (permalink)
sms88
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?

The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could not
get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was too
tight, and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap wrench.

I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited
space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new
filter on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to get
a good grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.

Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to where
it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so difficult
to remove?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2012, 04:01 pm   #2 (permalink)
Jeff Strickland
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?


"sms88" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
news:jm4o0g$e9f$1@dont-email.me...
> The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could not
> get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was too tight,
> and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap wrench.
>
> I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited
> space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new filter
> on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to get a good
> grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.
>
> Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to where
> it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so difficult to
> remove?


I've never heard of a specific torque. You're supposed to lubricate the seal
then spin the filter on until the seal contacts the block, then turn 3/4
rotation to seal. You are not supposed to use a wrench to tighten the
filter, although because of heat it may be necessary to use the wrench to
get the filter off.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2012, 06:03 pm   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Austerity
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?

sms88 wrote:
> The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could not
> get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was too
> tight, and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap wrench.
>
> I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited
> space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new
> filter on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to get
> a good grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.
>
> Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to where
> it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so difficult
> to remove?


Directions should be on the box the filter came in. Usually something
like oil the gasket with clean oil, screw it on until contact then
another 3/4 turn. I often use my 18 inch channel locks to take them
off, sometimes a strap wrench made from a big box end wrench and some
rope. Watch those sensors, and wires when you remove the filters some
of them can be easily broken. I usually tighten the new filter as much
as I can by hand, I can always get them off with the big channel locks
or the strap wrench.
Here's one that was really stuck,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGZea0w20H0
  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2012, 07:03 pm   #4 (permalink)
dbu''
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?

In article <jm4rer$4sg$1@dont-email.me>,
"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "sms88" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> news:jm4o0g$e9f$1@dont-email.me...
> > The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could not
> > get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was too tight,
> > and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap wrench.
> >
> > I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited
> > space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new filter
> > on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to get a good
> > grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.
> >
> > Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to where
> > it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so difficult to
> > remove?

>
> I've never heard of a specific torque. You're supposed to lubricate the seal
> then spin the filter on until the seal contacts the block, then turn 3/4
> rotation to seal. You are not supposed to use a wrench to tighten the
> filter, although because of heat it may be necessary to use the wrench to
> get the filter off.


If you get it too tight you might have a problem getting it off, even
crushing the filter in the process. That would make it even tougher to
get off, been there done that. So, hand tight like Jeff says would also
be my recommendation as well.

I don't mess around with oil changes anymore. My Toyota dealer is very
competitive with other oil change places as well as doing it myself.
I'm quite happy with that because I don't have to crawl under the
vehicle, mess around with dirty oil and disposing of it. It's a win-win
for me.

BTW, while at the Toyota dealer I found out they are using all synthetic
oil for the new Toyota's and change intervals are at 10K miles....

I didn't bother to ask about spark plugs.

We've come a long way.
--

  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2012, 01:04 am   #5 (permalink)
sms88
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?



On 4/11/2012 5:03 PM, dbu'' wrote:
> In article<jm4rer$4sg$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Jeff Strickland"<crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> "sms88"<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> news:jm4o0g$e9f$1@dont-email.me...
>>> The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could not
>>> get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was too tight,
>>> and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap wrench.
>>>
>>> I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited
>>> space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new filter
>>> on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to get a good
>>> grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.
>>>
>>> Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to where
>>> it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so difficult to
>>> remove?

>>
>> I've never heard of a specific torque. You're supposed to lubricate the seal
>> then spin the filter on until the seal contacts the block, then turn 3/4
>> rotation to seal. You are not supposed to use a wrench to tighten the
>> filter, although because of heat it may be necessary to use the wrench to
>> get the filter off.

>
> If you get it too tight you might have a problem getting it off, even
> crushing the filter in the process. That would make it even tougher to
> get off, been there done that. So, hand tight like Jeff says would also
> be my recommendation as well.
>
> I don't mess around with oil changes anymore. My Toyota dealer is very
> competitive with other oil change places as well as doing it myself.
> I'm quite happy with that because I don't have to crawl under the
> vehicle, mess around with dirty oil and disposing of it. It's a win-win
> for me.


The dealers near me have extremely annoying service departments. The
last time I went in for an oil change was the last time I'll go in for
an oil change. I left without the oil change when it became clear they
had no interest in just doing an oil change. Between pushing extremely
overpriced tires, and several other unneeded services, I realized that
they were just too untrustworthy to use them.

In my city we have curbside oil recycling. Normally I can do an oil
change very quickly without getting dirty, but this time the filter was
stubborn.

I can get good oil changes with Toyota filters for $20 if I go to my
mechanic, but it's too far away for oil changes, about 45 miles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2012, 11:24 am   #6 (permalink)
dbu''
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?

In article <jm5rae$p2k$1@dont-email.me>,
sms88 <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> On 4/11/2012 5:03 PM, dbu'' wrote:
> > In article<jm4rer$4sg$1@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jeff Strickland"<crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "sms88"<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:jm4o0g$e9f$1@dont-email.me...
> >>> The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could not
> >>> get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was too
> >>> tight,
> >>> and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap wrench.
> >>>
> >>> I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited
> >>> space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new
> >>> filter
> >>> on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to get a good
> >>> grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.
> >>>
> >>> Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to where
> >>> it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so difficult
> >>> to
> >>> remove?
> >>
> >> I've never heard of a specific torque. You're supposed to lubricate the
> >> seal
> >> then spin the filter on until the seal contacts the block, then turn 3/4
> >> rotation to seal. You are not supposed to use a wrench to tighten the
> >> filter, although because of heat it may be necessary to use the wrench to
> >> get the filter off.

> >
> > If you get it too tight you might have a problem getting it off, even
> > crushing the filter in the process. That would make it even tougher to
> > get off, been there done that. So, hand tight like Jeff says would also
> > be my recommendation as well.
> >
> > I don't mess around with oil changes anymore. My Toyota dealer is very
> > competitive with other oil change places as well as doing it myself.
> > I'm quite happy with that because I don't have to crawl under the
> > vehicle, mess around with dirty oil and disposing of it. It's a win-win
> > for me.

>
> The dealers near me have extremely annoying service departments. The
> last time I went in for an oil change was the last time I'll go in for
> an oil change. I left without the oil change when it became clear they
> had no interest in just doing an oil change. Between pushing extremely
> overpriced tires, and several other unneeded services, I realized that
> they were just too untrustworthy to use them.
>
> In my city we have curbside oil recycling. Normally I can do an oil
> change very quickly without getting dirty, but this time the filter was
> stubborn.
>
> I can get good oil changes with Toyota filters for $20 if I go to my
> mechanic, but it's too far away for oil changes, about 45 miles.


$28 at my Toyota dealer. No muss no fuss and they don't try to sell me
stuff if it is not needed. They do a complete check before I get my
vehicle back and a checkoff list. They said my Toyota was good to go.

Maybe you should move.
--

  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2012, 11:27 am   #7 (permalink)
Jeff Strickland
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?


"sms88" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
news:jm5rae$p2k$1@dont-email.me...
>
>
> On 4/11/2012 5:03 PM, dbu'' wrote:
>> In article<jm4rer$4sg$1@dont-email.me>,
>> "Jeff Strickland"<crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "sms88"<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:jm4o0g$e9f$1@dont-email.me...
>>>> The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could
>>>> not
>>>> get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was too
>>>> tight,
>>>> and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap wrench.
>>>>
>>>> I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited
>>>> space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new
>>>> filter
>>>> on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to get a good
>>>> grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.
>>>>
>>>> Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to where
>>>> it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so difficult
>>>> to
>>>> remove?
>>>
>>> I've never heard of a specific torque. You're supposed to lubricate the
>>> seal
>>> then spin the filter on until the seal contacts the block, then turn 3/4
>>> rotation to seal. You are not supposed to use a wrench to tighten the
>>> filter, although because of heat it may be necessary to use the wrench
>>> to
>>> get the filter off.

>>
>> If you get it too tight you might have a problem getting it off, even
>> crushing the filter in the process. That would make it even tougher to
>> get off, been there done that. So, hand tight like Jeff says would also
>> be my recommendation as well.
>>
>> I don't mess around with oil changes anymore. My Toyota dealer is very
>> competitive with other oil change places as well as doing it myself.
>> I'm quite happy with that because I don't have to crawl under the
>> vehicle, mess around with dirty oil and disposing of it. It's a win-win
>> for me.

>
> The dealers near me have extremely annoying service departments. The last
> time I went in for an oil change was the last time I'll go in for an oil
> change. I left without the oil change when it became clear they had no
> interest in just doing an oil change. Between pushing extremely overpriced
> tires, and several other unneeded services, I realized that they were just
> too untrustworthy to use them.
>
> In my city we have curbside oil recycling. Normally I can do an oil change
> very quickly without getting dirty, but this time the filter was stubborn.
>
> I can get good oil changes with Toyota filters for $20 if I go to my
> mechanic, but it's too far away for oil changes, about 45 miles.



That's SHOCKING! The dealership sells stuff, whoda thunk it!

All you say is, "All I need today is an oil change, thank you." They pull
the free inspection in an attempt to sell stuff, you go home and look at the
stuff they want to fix and decide if it really needs fixing or not, and then
fix it yourself or take the car back. My kid took her Tacoma for something,
and they said she needs front brakes. She knows how to put them on, so she
bought brakes and came home. The old pads had more than 70% of the material
of the new pads, so we did not put them on.

Clearly you have trouble with oil changes because you can't get the filter
off, and you gotta ask what the torque spec is when putting one on. (I've
got two oil filters on the shelf, both have the directions printed on the
side of the can.) How much grip does one need to put 3/4-turn on an oil
filter?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is a fundemental life-event, like the sun
rising in the east every morning.




  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2012, 11:30 am   #8 (permalink)
Jeff Strickland
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?


"dbu''" <nospam@nobama.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:lK6dnRI8wOVSnBrSnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> In article <jm5rae$p2k$1@dont-email.me>,
> sms88 <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/11/2012 5:03 PM, dbu'' wrote:
>> > In article<jm4rer$4sg$1@dont-email.me>,
>> > "Jeff Strickland"<crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >> "sms88"<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:jm4o0g$e9f$1@dont-email.me...
>> >>> The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could
>> >>> not
>> >>> get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was too
>> >>> tight,
>> >>> and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap wrench.
>> >>>
>> >>> I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited
>> >>> space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new
>> >>> filter
>> >>> on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to get a
>> >>> good
>> >>> grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.
>> >>>
>> >>> Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to
>> >>> where
>> >>> it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so
>> >>> difficult
>> >>> to
>> >>> remove?
>> >>
>> >> I've never heard of a specific torque. You're supposed to lubricate
>> >> the
>> >> seal
>> >> then spin the filter on until the seal contacts the block, then turn
>> >> 3/4
>> >> rotation to seal. You are not supposed to use a wrench to tighten the
>> >> filter, although because of heat it may be necessary to use the wrench
>> >> to
>> >> get the filter off.
>> >
>> > If you get it too tight you might have a problem getting it off, even
>> > crushing the filter in the process. That would make it even tougher to
>> > get off, been there done that. So, hand tight like Jeff says would
>> > also
>> > be my recommendation as well.
>> >
>> > I don't mess around with oil changes anymore. My Toyota dealer is very
>> > competitive with other oil change places as well as doing it myself.
>> > I'm quite happy with that because I don't have to crawl under the
>> > vehicle, mess around with dirty oil and disposing of it. It's a
>> > win-win
>> > for me.

>>
>> The dealers near me have extremely annoying service departments. The
>> last time I went in for an oil change was the last time I'll go in for
>> an oil change. I left without the oil change when it became clear they
>> had no interest in just doing an oil change. Between pushing extremely
>> overpriced tires, and several other unneeded services, I realized that
>> they were just too untrustworthy to use them.
>>
>> In my city we have curbside oil recycling. Normally I can do an oil
>> change very quickly without getting dirty, but this time the filter was
>> stubborn.
>>
>> I can get good oil changes with Toyota filters for $20 if I go to my
>> mechanic, but it's too far away for oil changes, about 45 miles.

>
> $28 at my Toyota dealer. No muss no fuss and they don't try to sell me
> stuff if it is not needed. They do a complete check before I get my
> vehicle back and a checkoff list. They said my Toyota was good to go.
>


And, they wash the car, don't they? My local carwash does an oil change with
free wash, and my Mazda dealer used to wash my MPV when they changed the
oil.







  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2012, 12:01 pm   #9 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?

sms88 wrote:

>The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could
>not get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was
>too tight, and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap
>wrench.
>
>I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited
>space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new
>filter on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to
>get a good grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.
>
>Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to
>where it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so
>difficult to remove?


You can't get your hand in there to tighten the filter but want to use
a torque wrench? If there's enough room to get a cap wrench in there
then there ought to be enough room to get fingers around it.
Tightening an oil filter is not that hard. Removing one is much
harder, especially if you have a heat shield blocking it like my last
two Toyotas have. I removed those heat shields permanently after the
first oil change.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm   #10 (permalink)
Asbjørn
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How Tight Should an Oil Filter Be? Specific torque?


"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:xn0hwr8kre1kk8000@reader.albasani.net...
> sms88 wrote:
>
>>The other day I was changing the oil on a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I could
>>not get the oil filter off with my TOY640 filter cap wrench. It was
>>too tight, and it was slipping. The filter was put on with that cap
>>wrench.
>>
>>I used a fabric strap wrench which was a pain because of the limited
>>space, but it removed the filter (while crushing it). I put the new
>>filter on. There's no way to hand tighten it (insufficient space to
>>get a good grip on it) so I used the cap wrench again.
>>
>>Is there a specific torque that the filter should be tightened to
>>where it's tight enough to be secure, but not so tight that it's so
>>difficult to remove?

>
> You can't get your hand in there to tighten the filter but want to use
> a torque wrench? If there's enough room to get a cap wrench in there
> then there ought to be enough room to get fingers around it.
> Tightening an oil filter is not that hard. Removing one is much
> harder, especially if you have a heat shield blocking it like my last
> two Toyotas have. I removed those heat shields permanently after the
> first oil change.


Tighten 3/4 turn after the seal touch the base, that is written on the
filters here.

Asbjørn



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.