1996 Toyota Tercel Power Steering Pump Pulley?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2013, 08:48 am   #1 (permalink)
ByTor
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 1996 Toyota Tercel Power Steering Pump Pulley?


1996 toyota tercel....4 cylinder....1.5 liter engine......158,000 miles

The pulley intermittenly stops on startup or AC turned on or just
sitting idle or making turns, belt screeches like a banshi.

I've visually seen the pulley stopping & the tension on the belt was
more than adequate according to a mechanic friend, he just didn't know
the answer for my next question.

My question is this........It is the original factory pump install, can
the "pulley" just be replaced or just don't bother and put in a new
pump?

Also.......What would be the avg cost to replace the oil pan on this
model?

Thanks for any help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2013, 04:15 pm   #2 (permalink)
Geoff Welsh
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1996 Toyota Tercel Power Steering Pump Pulley?

ByTor wrote:
>
> 1996 toyota tercel....4 cylinder....1.5 liter engine......158,000 miles
>
> The pulley intermittenly stops on startup or AC turned on or just
> sitting idle or making turns, belt screeches like a banshi.
>
> I've visually seen the pulley stopping& the tension on the belt was
> more than adequate according to a mechanic friend, he just didn't know
> the answer for my next question.
>
> My question is this........It is the original factory pump install, can
> the "pulley" just be replaced or just don't bother and put in a new
> pump?
>
> Also.......What would be the avg cost to replace the oil pan on this
> model?
>
> Thanks for any help.


I'm seeing 4.1 hour of labor to R&R oil pan. Cost for labor and parts
depends on where you live, use the web.

The pulley can be replaced, but there's likely an underlying problem
causing the slipping, so I would replace the pump and pulley, unless I
had a stockpile of free time and used parts to play with. Any pump that
old probably leaks anyway.

IMO/IME, as always.
GW
  Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2013, 04:15 pm   #3 (permalink)
uncle_vito
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1996 Toyota Tercel Power Steering Pump Pulley?

Put on a new belt or get some special spray on conditioning fluid to restore
the belt friction. Best get a new belt. It is glazed and has lost its
friction properties.


"ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
news:km8c4n$beb$1@dont-email.me...
>
> 1996 toyota tercel....4 cylinder....1.5 liter engine......158,000 miles
>
> The pulley intermittenly stops on startup or AC turned on or just
> sitting idle or making turns, belt screeches like a banshi.
>
> I've visually seen the pulley stopping & the tension on the belt was
> more than adequate according to a mechanic friend, he just didn't know
> the answer for my next question.
>
> My question is this........It is the original factory pump install, can
> the "pulley" just be replaced or just don't bother and put in a new
> pump?
>
> Also.......What would be the avg cost to replace the oil pan on this
> model?
>
> Thanks for any help.



  Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2013, 07:39 am   #4 (permalink)
ByTor
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1996 Toyota Tercel Power Steering Pump Pulley?

In article <km96ao$jvu$1@dont-email.me>, GeeDubya@some.rr.com says...
>
> ByTor wrote:
> >
> > 1996 toyota tercel....4 cylinder....1.5 liter engine......158,000 miles
> >
> > The pulley intermittenly stops on startup or AC turned on or just
> > sitting idle or making turns, belt screeches like a banshi.
> >
> > I've visually seen the pulley stopping& the tension on the belt was
> > more than adequate according to a mechanic friend, he just didn't know
> > the answer for my next question.
> >
> > My question is this........It is the original factory pump install, can
> > the "pulley" just be replaced or just don't bother and put in a new
> > pump?
> >
> > Also.......What would be the avg cost to replace the oil pan on this
> > model?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

>
> I'm seeing 4.1 hour of labor to R&R oil pan. Cost for labor and parts
> depends on where you live, use the web.
>
> The pulley can be replaced, but there's likely an underlying problem
> causing the slipping, so I would replace the pump and pulley, unless I
> had a stockpile of free time and used parts to play with. Any pump that
> old probably leaks anyway.
>
> IMO/IME, as always.
> GW


It doesn't leak at least, not yet anyway........;0)

But your analysis appears to be correct, the overall logical thing would
be to just replace the whole unit. All the belts on my car are only
about 6 months old anyway so I ruled out the last suggestion I suppose.
I went to NAPA yesterday and i was told the part they had was a
remanufactured unit so I'm wondering if that's what I will face getting
the part.

Thanks for your help.....;0)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2013, 11:41 pm   #5 (permalink)
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1996 Toyota Tercel Power Steering Pump Pulley?

On Tue, 07 May 2013 08:39:50 -0400, ByTor wrote:

> In article <km96ao$jvu$1@dont-email.me>, GeeDubya@some.rr.com says...
>>
>> ByTor wrote:
>> >
>> > 1996 toyota tercel....4 cylinder....1.5 liter engine......158,000
>> > miles
>> >
>> > The pulley intermittenly stops on startup or AC turned on or just
>> > sitting idle or making turns, belt screeches like a banshi.
>> >
>> > I've visually seen the pulley stopping& the tension on the belt was
>> > more than adequate according to a mechanic friend, he just didn't
>> > know the answer for my next question.
>> >
>> > My question is this........It is the original factory pump install,
>> > can the "pulley" just be replaced or just don't bother and put in a
>> > new pump?
>> >
>> > Also.......What would be the avg cost to replace the oil pan on this
>> > model?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help.

>>
>> I'm seeing 4.1 hour of labor to R&R oil pan. Cost for labor and parts
>> depends on where you live, use the web.
>>
>> The pulley can be replaced, but there's likely an underlying problem
>> causing the slipping, so I would replace the pump and pulley, unless I
>> had a stockpile of free time and used parts to play with. Any pump
>> that old probably leaks anyway.
>>
>> IMO/IME, as always.
>> GW

>
> It doesn't leak at least, not yet anyway........;0)
>
> But your analysis appears to be correct, the overall logical thing would
> be to just replace the whole unit. All the belts on my car are only
> about 6 months old anyway so I ruled out the last suggestion I suppose.
> I went to NAPA yesterday and i was told the part they had was a
> remanufactured unit so I'm wondering if that's what I will face getting
> the part.
>
> Thanks for your help.....;0)




It sounds like the bearing is on the verge of seizing. Is there any
difference in the steering of the car? Although, once pressure is built
up it holds for a minute, like your power breaks.

Cances are you can't replace just the bearing unless you have a heavy
duty press handy, so you prolly need a new PS unit.


Interesting. I have had a PILE of Toyotas with over 200,000 on them and
NEVER replaced a PS pump. I would go to a junkyard and get one. I'd bet
that pump goes from 1994-98 or maybe evern further back, so you should
pick up a good one cheap. Spin the pulley before you buy it, and ask if
there's at least some kind of warranty.

BTW, did you or someone else tighten the belt up? Overtightening can put
a side load on the bearing. Try changing the belt and loosening it a bit,
and you may dodge a bullet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2013, 08:40 pm   #6 (permalink)
ByTor
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1996 Toyota Tercel Power Steering Pump Pulley?

In article <5189d76f$0$63614$c3e8da3$14a0410e@news.astraweb.c om>,
Trueno@e86.GTS says...
>
> On Tue, 07 May 2013 08:39:50 -0400, ByTor wrote:
>
> > In article <km96ao$jvu$1@dont-email.me>, GeeDubya@some.rr.com says...
> >>
> >> ByTor wrote:
> >> >
> >> > 1996 toyota tercel....4 cylinder....1.5 liter engine......158,000
> >> > miles
> >> >
> >> > The pulley intermittenly stops on startup or AC turned on or just
> >> > sitting idle or making turns, belt screeches like a banshi.
> >> >
> >> > I've visually seen the pulley stopping& the tension on the belt was
> >> > more than adequate according to a mechanic friend, he just didn't
> >> > know the answer for my next question.
> >> >
> >> > My question is this........It is the original factory pump install,
> >> > can the "pulley" just be replaced or just don't bother and put in a
> >> > new pump?
> >> >
> >> > Also.......What would be the avg cost to replace the oil pan on this
> >> > model?
> >> >
> >> > Thanks for any help.
> >>
> >> I'm seeing 4.1 hour of labor to R&R oil pan. Cost for labor and parts
> >> depends on where you live, use the web.
> >>
> >> The pulley can be replaced, but there's likely an underlying problem
> >> causing the slipping, so I would replace the pump and pulley, unless I
> >> had a stockpile of free time and used parts to play with. Any pump
> >> that old probably leaks anyway.
> >>
> >> IMO/IME, as always.
> >> GW

> >
> > It doesn't leak at least, not yet anyway........;0)
> >
> > But your analysis appears to be correct, the overall logical thing would
> > be to just replace the whole unit. All the belts on my car are only
> > about 6 months old anyway so I ruled out the last suggestion I suppose.
> > I went to NAPA yesterday and i was told the part they had was a
> > remanufactured unit so I'm wondering if that's what I will face getting
> > the part.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.....;0)

>
>
>
> It sounds like the bearing is on the verge of seizing. Is there any
> difference in the steering of the car? Although, once pressure is built
> up it holds for a minute, like your power breaks.


No difference in steering even when it squeals like a banshi. Lately
it's been screaching as soon as I start the car than it stops once I get
going and lay off the gas pedal for a few seconds it stops, but mostly
resumes screaching when I stop & than make turns.

> Cances are you can't replace just the bearing unless you have a heavy
> duty press handy, so you prolly need a new PS unit.


That's what I been hearing lately mostly.......

> Interesting. I have had a PILE of Toyotas with over 200,000 on them and
> NEVER replaced a PS pump. I would go to a junkyard and get one. I'd bet
> that pump goes from 1994-98 or maybe evern further back, so you should
> pick up a good one cheap. Spin the pulley before you buy it, and ask if
> there's at least some kind of warranty.


Yes thanks, a suggestion I have been considering.

> BTW, did you or someone else tighten the belt up? Overtightening can put
> a side load on the bearing. Try changing the belt and loosening it a bit,
> and you may dodge a bullet.


I've had all the belts replaced about 8 months ago & they haven't been
touched since. A friend, who is a mechanic, said they seemed fine as far
as tension. But overall yes, the pulley is actually freezing & than
resumes off & on. Thanks for the reply hach I'll try lettin my friend
tinker with it, your last suggestion he actually wanted to try first
before I bought a replacement PS pump.........;0)


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.