What's Wrong With My 2001 Prius ?!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2013, 12:09 pm   #1 (permalink)
casagiannoni@optonline.net
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default What's Wrong With My 2001 Prius ?!

Have had perfect light service for 12 years to 60,000 miles with not a
single issues whatsoever.

Now all of a sudden, the charging has gone Strange under a variety of
conditions.

e.g. - when stopped at long light, the ICE would always typically shut
down, but then start up spontaneously, presumably to charge the
Battery as might specially be needed. It always had don this. Now it
shuts off immediately and completely and remains off until I
throttle-up to go again, when it starts again.

The energy graphic is showing a lot of things that don't make sense,
including no energy transfer whatsoever at odd times when energy is
obviously in transit.

Any help, most graciously appreciated, and thanks ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2013, 11:17 pm   #2 (permalink)
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: What's Wrong With My 2001 Prius ?!

On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:09:34 -0400, casagiannoni wrote:

> Have had perfect light service for 12 years to 60,000 miles with not a
> single issues whatsoever.
>
> Now all of a sudden, the charging has gone Strange under a variety of
> conditions.
>
> e.g. - when stopped at long light, the ICE would always typically shut
> down, but then start up spontaneously, presumably to charge the Battery
> as might specially be needed. It always had don this. Now it shuts off
> immediately and completely and remains off until I throttle-up to go
> again, when it starts again.
>
> The energy graphic is showing a lot of things that don't make sense,
> including no energy transfer whatsoever at odd times when energy is
> obviously in transit.
>
> Any help, most graciously appreciated, and thanks ...


IIRC, the batteries are listed as only being good for 10 years. You've
gone 12.

Chances are the batteries are wearing out.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2013, 04:21 pm   #3 (permalink)
casagiannoni@optonline.net
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: What's Wrong With My 2001 Prius ?!

Took it in to Toyota service, where they did some diagnostics. They
proclaimed that everything checked out OK, including the battery ...

On 08 Jun 2013 04:17:02 GMT, Hachiroku ???? <Trueno@e86.GTS> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:09:34 -0400, casagiannoni wrote:
>
>> Have had perfect light service for 12 years to 60,000 miles with not a
>> single issues whatsoever.
>>
>> Now all of a sudden, the charging has gone Strange under a variety of
>> conditions.
>>
>> e.g. - when stopped at long light, the ICE would always typically shut
>> down, but then start up spontaneously, presumably to charge the Battery
>> as might specially be needed. It always had don this. Now it shuts off
>> immediately and completely and remains off until I throttle-up to go
>> again, when it starts again.
>>
>> The energy graphic is showing a lot of things that don't make sense,
>> including no energy transfer whatsoever at odd times when energy is
>> obviously in transit.
>>
>> Any help, most graciously appreciated, and thanks ...

>
>IIRC, the batteries are listed as only being good for 10 years. You've
>gone 12.
>
>Chances are the batteries are wearing out.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2013, 04:26 pm   #4 (permalink)
casagiannoni@optonline.net
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: What's Wrong With My 2001 Prius ?!

PS - Toyota advised me to just keep on driving the car. Any danger of
damage if I do so? ...

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 17:21:11 -0400, casagiannoni@optonline.net wrote:

>Took it in to Toyota service, where they did some diagnostics. They
>proclaimed that everything checked out OK, including the battery ...
>
>On 08 Jun 2013 04:17:02 GMT, Hachiroku ???? <Trueno@e86.GTS> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:09:34 -0400, casagiannoni wrote:
>>
>>> Have had perfect light service for 12 years to 60,000 miles with not a
>>> single issues whatsoever.
>>>
>>> Now all of a sudden, the charging has gone Strange under a variety of
>>> conditions.
>>>
>>> e.g. - when stopped at long light, the ICE would always typically shut
>>> down, but then start up spontaneously, presumably to charge the Battery
>>> as might specially be needed. It always had don this. Now it shuts off
>>> immediately and completely and remains off until I throttle-up to go
>>> again, when it starts again.
>>>
>>> The energy graphic is showing a lot of things that don't make sense,
>>> including no energy transfer whatsoever at odd times when energy is
>>> obviously in transit.
>>>
>>> Any help, most graciously appreciated, and thanks ...

>>
>>IIRC, the batteries are listed as only being good for 10 years. You've
>>gone 12.
>>
>>Chances are the batteries are wearing out.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2013, 09:39 pm   #5 (permalink)
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: What's Wrong With My 2001 Prius ?!

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 17:26:35 -0400, casagiannoni wrote:

> PS - Toyota advised me to just keep on driving the car. Any danger of
> damage if I do so? ...
>
> On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 17:21:11 -0400, casagiannoni@optonline.net wrote:
>
>>Took it in to Toyota service, where they did some diagnostics. They
>>proclaimed that everything checked out OK, including the battery ...
>>
>>On 08 Jun 2013 04:17:02 GMT, Hachiroku ???? <Trueno@e86.GTS> wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:09:34 -0400, casagiannoni wrote:
>>>
>>>> Have had perfect light service for 12 years to 60,000 miles with not
>>>> a single issues whatsoever.
>>>>
>>>> Now all of a sudden, the charging has gone Strange under a variety of
>>>> conditions.
>>>>
>>>> e.g. - when stopped at long light, the ICE would always typically
>>>> shut down, but then start up spontaneously, presumably to charge the
>>>> Battery as might specially be needed. It always had don this. Now it
>>>> shuts off immediately and completely and remains off until I
>>>> throttle-up to go again, when it starts again.
>>>>
>>>> The energy graphic is showing a lot of things that don't make sense,
>>>> including no energy transfer whatsoever at odd times when energy is
>>>> obviously in transit.
>>>>
>>>> Any help, most graciously appreciated, and thanks ...
>>>
>>>IIRC, the batteries are listed as only being good for 10 years. You've
>>>gone 12.
>>>
>>>Chances are the batteries are wearing out.


It will just run on the gas engine.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.