Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2013, 06:56 pm   #1 (permalink)
In2dadark
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

On Sunday, May 26, 2013 9:07:30 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 12:35 PM, marco wrote:
>
> > if you have to have it this weekend,

>
> > you will probably pay a little extra

>
> >

>
> > the more homework you do, the better

>
> >

>
> > also it can depend on the market, in your area

>
> >

>
> > Southern California market, for example,

>
> > has alot of competition between dealers,

>
> > and can help on prices

>
>
>
> The last new Camry LE we bought we did go to southern California where
>
> it was about $1500 less than northern California (a tad under 17K versus
>
> a tad over 18.5K) and the northern versus southern price difference now
>
> seems to be about $1000 judging from comparing the lowest advertised
>
> prices in both regions and looking at the difference in factory to
>
> dealer incentives ($19400 in Northern California, $18,400 in southern
>
> California). However this car is for my sister-in-law and she's not the
>
> type to go to southern California to save $500 (by the time you fly down
>
> and rent a car and stay one night your savings are cut by about $500).
>
> The loyalty rebate is $1000 in southern California but only $500 in
>
> northern California which accounts for part of the cost difference. It's
>
> strange that there's such a difference, but the reason you stated is the
>
> same reason I've heard--a lot more competition in southern California.
>
>
>
> I got her a price quote through USAA and Costco. The USAA quote was
>
> about $700 less than the Costco quote. The USAA quote was almost exactly
>
> the same as the newspaper ads which seem too good to be true and always
>
> tout "x in stock at this price" and are always out of stock when you get
>
> there, but the USAA quote was good for any model 2532 in stock. The
>
> dealer that worked with Costco insisted that there was no way that the
>
> USAA quote was real, that it was too far below invoice, even though I
>
> think few buyers ever pay anything as high as invoice, let alone MSRP.
>
>
>
> Personally I would have waited another couple of months for the 2013's
>
> the be closing out but she's the type that when she decides to make a
>
> purchase she doesn't put it off. Her old car was a 1992 Camry and she
>
> wanted a new care _now_. I think this was an okay weekend to buy because
>
> they had the $500 loyalty incentive as well as the choice of $750 or 0%
>
> financing. They also had the $1000 college graduate discount but she
>
> graduated about 20 years too late to qualify for it. At first I told her
>
> she should pay cash, but then I calculated the interest she'd get on
>
> $23,000 for five years in a CD (even at the current ridiculously low
>
> rate of 1.75%), and realized that it was actually a much better deal to
>
> take the 0% financing.
>
>
>
> I guess I haven't bought a new car in a while because two of the newest
>
> things they try to sell you in the finance department are "dent and
>
> windshield protection" and prepaid maintenance (though now new Toyotas
>
> come with 24 months of maintenance). Of course she declined all the
>
> add-ons though the prepaid maintenance would not be a bad deal if you
>
> normally went to the dealer for maintenance which I suspect some people do.
>
>
>
> I think it's rather incredible that the street price of the base Camry
>
> LE has gone up only about $1000 in the past 17 years considering the
>
> additional equipment on it (10 airbags versust 8, ABS versus no ABS,
>
> Bluetooth, folding outer mirrors, LCD screen for the radio, etc.).



In addition to what you said, look at the dollar yen ratio over that time. Does anyone really think they're getting the quality, durability in a Camryas 17 years ago? Mine's an 01 that I can, as you mentioned, replace w/ newfor around the same money. I will be buying another 2000 or 01 if I need another Camry.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2013, 07:21 pm   #2 (permalink)
sms
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

On 6/21/2013 4:56 PM, In2dadark wrote:
> On Sunday, May 26, 2013 9:07:30 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
>> On 5/25/2013 12:35 PM, marco wrote:
>>
>>> if you have to have it this weekend,

>>
>>> you will probably pay a little extra

>>
>>>

>>
>>> the more homework you do, the better

>>
>>>

>>
>>> also it can depend on the market, in your area

>>
>>>

>>
>>> Southern California market, for example,

>>
>>> has alot of competition between dealers,

>>
>>> and can help on prices

>>
>>
>>
>> The last new Camry LE we bought we did go to southern California where
>>
>> it was about $1500 less than northern California (a tad under 17K versus
>>
>> a tad over 18.5K) and the northern versus southern price difference now
>>
>> seems to be about $1000 judging from comparing the lowest advertised
>>
>> prices in both regions and looking at the difference in factory to
>>
>> dealer incentives ($19400 in Northern California, $18,400 in southern
>>
>> California). However this car is for my sister-in-law and she's not the
>>
>> type to go to southern California to save $500 (by the time you fly down
>>
>> and rent a car and stay one night your savings are cut by about $500).
>>
>> The loyalty rebate is $1000 in southern California but only $500 in
>>
>> northern California which accounts for part of the cost difference. It's
>>
>> strange that there's such a difference, but the reason you stated is the
>>
>> same reason I've heard--a lot more competition in southern California.
>>
>>
>>
>> I got her a price quote through USAA and Costco. The USAA quote was
>>
>> about $700 less than the Costco quote. The USAA quote was almost exactly
>>
>> the same as the newspaper ads which seem too good to be true and always
>>
>> tout "x in stock at this price" and are always out of stock when you get
>>
>> there, but the USAA quote was good for any model 2532 in stock. The
>>
>> dealer that worked with Costco insisted that there was no way that the
>>
>> USAA quote was real, that it was too far below invoice, even though I
>>
>> think few buyers ever pay anything as high as invoice, let alone MSRP.
>>
>>
>>
>> Personally I would have waited another couple of months for the 2013's
>>
>> the be closing out but she's the type that when she decides to make a
>>
>> purchase she doesn't put it off. Her old car was a 1992 Camry and she
>>
>> wanted a new care _now_. I think this was an okay weekend to buy because
>>
>> they had the $500 loyalty incentive as well as the choice of $750 or 0%
>>
>> financing. They also had the $1000 college graduate discount but she
>>
>> graduated about 20 years too late to qualify for it. At first I told her
>>
>> she should pay cash, but then I calculated the interest she'd get on
>>
>> $23,000 for five years in a CD (even at the current ridiculously low
>>
>> rate of 1.75%), and realized that it was actually a much better deal to
>>
>> take the 0% financing.
>>
>>
>>
>> I guess I haven't bought a new car in a while because two of the newest
>>
>> things they try to sell you in the finance department are "dent and
>>
>> windshield protection" and prepaid maintenance (though now new Toyotas
>>
>> come with 24 months of maintenance). Of course she declined all the
>>
>> add-ons though the prepaid maintenance would not be a bad deal if you
>>
>> normally went to the dealer for maintenance which I suspect some people do.
>>
>>
>>
>> I think it's rather incredible that the street price of the base Camry
>>
>> LE has gone up only about $1000 in the past 17 years considering the
>>
>> additional equipment on it (10 airbags versust 8, ABS versus no ABS,
>>
>> Bluetooth, folding outer mirrors, LCD screen for the radio, etc.).

>
>
> In addition to what you said, look at the dollar yen ratio over that time. Does anyone really think they're getting the quality, durability in a Camry as 17 years ago? Mine's an 01 that I can, as you mentioned, replace w/ new for around the same money. I will be buying another 2000 or 01 if I need another Camry.


They did cheapen the Camry a lot between the third and fourth generation
(92-96 versus 97-01) but I was impressed with the 2013 (seventh
generation) since some of decontenting that they began in 1997 was
reversed, and some features were added. I.e., one pet peeve of mine is
non-folding side mirrors. Our 1996 doesn't have them, but the 2013 does
(of course in Asia you get the Camry with power folding mirrors). The
2013 doesn't have a hood strut like the fourth generation. Of course
there's a lot more standard safety equipment like TPMS, ABS, traction
control, stability control, and all those additional air bags.

Will the seventh generation Camrys last as long? Probably not. The third
generation was built like a tank and there's still an enormous number of
them on the road. But Toyota is very conservative when it comes to
making major changes that could affect reliability (unlike Honda which
has been plagued by problems, especially with transmissions).

I think that part of the solution to the dollar/yen ration has been U.S.
manufacturing. When we bought our 1996 Camry, the west coast Camrys were
still mostly from Japan, and the east coast Camrys were from the U.S..
This time I did not see any Japanese Camrys on the lot.

  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2013, 11:26 am   #3 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

In article <a0b8c116-6547-456a-9eca-d67a462e024f@googlegroups.com>,
In2dadark <pisanoinsurance@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think it's rather incredible that the street price of the base Camry
> >
> > LE has gone up only about $1000 in the past 17 years considering the
> >
> > additional equipment on it (10 airbags versust 8, ABS versus no ABS,
> >
> > Bluetooth, folding outer mirrors, LCD screen for the radio, etc.).

>
>
> In addition to what you said, look at the dollar yen ratio over that time.
> Does anyone really think they're getting the quality, durability in a Camry
> as 17 years ago?


Nope.

As I was thinking about an Avalon Hybrid, I looked at a Camry Hybrid.
With "leather seats". And I couldn't have been more disappointed. Not
only were the seats not "leather" (they were PARTIALLY leather, in weird
areas), the bottom cushion itself was absurdly short.

It rapidly became apparent that in the Toyota world, $27K-$30K is not
meant to ACTUALLY give you a family car. No, they want you to head up
to the Avalon world, $35K plus ($40K for Hybrid Limited), in order to
get what a very nicely equipped family car used to be for $25K.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2013, 04:06 pm   #4 (permalink)
marco
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

On Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:26:37 AM UTC-7, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <a0b8c116-6547-456a-9eca-d67a462e024f@googlegroups.com>,
>
> In2dadark <pisanoinsurance@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > > I think it's rather incredible that the street price of the base Camry

>
> > >

>
> > > LE has gone up only about $1000 in the past 17 years considering the

>
> > >

>
> > > additional equipment on it (10 airbags versust 8, ABS versus no ABS,

>
> > >

>
> > > Bluetooth, folding outer mirrors, LCD screen for the radio, etc.).

>
> >

>
> >

>
> > In addition to what you said, look at the dollar yen ratio over that time.

>
> > Does anyone really think they're getting the quality, durability in a Camry

>
> > as 17 years ago?

>
>
>
> Nope.
>
>
>
> As I was thinking about an Avalon Hybrid, I looked at a Camry Hybrid.
>
> With "leather seats". And I couldn't have been more disappointed. Not
>
> only were the seats not "leather" (they were PARTIALLY leather, in weird
>
> areas), the bottom cushion itself was absurdly short.
>
>
>
> It rapidly became apparent that in the Toyota world, $27K-$30K is not
>
> meant to ACTUALLY give you a family car. No, they want you to head up
>
> to the Avalon world, $35K plus ($40K for Hybrid Limited), in order to
>
> get what a very nicely equipped family car used to be for $25K.


I still drive a 2003 Avalon
cost me about 25k back in 03

but the new Avalon Hybrid sure looks nice
something like 40mpg
not bad if you drive alot

marc
  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2013, 06:34 pm   #5 (permalink)
sms
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

On 6/22/2013 9:26 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <a0b8c116-6547-456a-9eca-d67a462e024f@googlegroups.com>,
> In2dadark <pisanoinsurance@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I think it's rather incredible that the street price of the base Camry
>>>
>>> LE has gone up only about $1000 in the past 17 years considering the
>>>
>>> additional equipment on it (10 airbags versust 8, ABS versus no ABS,
>>>
>>> Bluetooth, folding outer mirrors, LCD screen for the radio, etc.).

>>
>>
>> In addition to what you said, look at the dollar yen ratio over that time.
>> Does anyone really think they're getting the quality, durability in a Camry
>> as 17 years ago?

>
> Nope.
>
> As I was thinking about an Avalon Hybrid, I looked at a Camry Hybrid.
> With "leather seats". And I couldn't have been more disappointed. Not
> only were the seats not "leather" (they were PARTIALLY leather, in weird
> areas), the bottom cushion itself was absurdly short.
>
> It rapidly became apparent that in the Toyota world, $27K-$30K is not
> meant to ACTUALLY give you a family car. No, they want you to head up
> to the Avalon world, $35K plus ($40K for Hybrid Limited), in order to
> get what a very nicely equipped family car used to be for $25K.


The non-hybrid Camry is very much a family car and costs less than $20K.
The hybrid Camry is a lot more and you lose a lot of trunk space, but if
you do mainly around-town driving and have a van or SUV that you use on
vacations the Camry hybrid is a lot nicer than a Prius and can
comfortably sit four adults.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2013, 06:36 pm   #6 (permalink)
sms
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

On 6/22/2013 2:06 PM, marco wrote:
> On Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:26:37 AM UTC-7, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article <a0b8c116-6547-456a-9eca-d67a462e024f@googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> In2dadark <pisanoinsurance@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>> I think it's rather incredible that the street price of the base Camry

>>
>>>>

>>
>>>> LE has gone up only about $1000 in the past 17 years considering the

>>
>>>>

>>
>>>> additional equipment on it (10 airbags versust 8, ABS versus no ABS,

>>
>>>>

>>
>>>> Bluetooth, folding outer mirrors, LCD screen for the radio, etc.).

>>
>>>

>>
>>>

>>
>>> In addition to what you said, look at the dollar yen ratio over that time.

>>
>>> Does anyone really think they're getting the quality, durability in a Camry

>>
>>> as 17 years ago?

>>
>>
>>
>> Nope.
>>
>>
>>
>> As I was thinking about an Avalon Hybrid, I looked at a Camry Hybrid.
>>
>> With "leather seats". And I couldn't have been more disappointed. Not
>>
>> only were the seats not "leather" (they were PARTIALLY leather, in weird
>>
>> areas), the bottom cushion itself was absurdly short.
>>
>>
>>
>> It rapidly became apparent that in the Toyota world, $27K-$30K is not
>>
>> meant to ACTUALLY give you a family car. No, they want you to head up
>>
>> to the Avalon world, $35K plus ($40K for Hybrid Limited), in order to
>>
>> get what a very nicely equipped family car used to be for $25K.

>
> I still drive a 2003 Avalon
> cost me about 25k back in 03
>
> but the new Avalon Hybrid sure looks nice
> something like 40mpg
> not bad if you drive alot


It's fine, but it's too big if you're driving (and parking) in a big
city. For long road trips it'd be very nice though.

  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2013, 09:35 pm   #7 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

In article <kq5c1b$qmu$2@dont-email.me>,
sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> The non-hybrid Camry is very much a family car and costs less than $20K.


....and is a shitty car compared to what a Camry used to be, because
Toyota is trying to hold down costs while maintaining profits.

They save the "what used to be" Camry features for the Avalon now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2013, 09:36 pm   #8 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

In article <kq5c1b$qmu$2@dont-email.me>,
sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> the Camry hybrid is a lot nicer than a Prius and can
> comfortably sit four adults.


have you ever driven a Prius?

The back seat of my 07 Prius has huge amounts of room. Four people can
sit MORE than comfortably.

My 07 Prius is a lot nicer than a modern Camry, trust me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2013, 12:12 pm   #9 (permalink)
SMS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

On 6/22/2013 7:36 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <kq5c1b$qmu$2@dont-email.me>,
> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> the Camry hybrid is a lot nicer than a Prius and can
>> comfortably sit four adults.

>
> have you ever driven a Prius?


Yes, as a rental. It convinced me to never buy one. Too small for two
adults and two adult size teenagers. The sixth generating Camry is a far
better vehicle and unless you drive over 40K miles a year ends up having
a lower cost of ownership based on $4/gallon gasoline.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2013, 07:28 pm   #10 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2013 Camry LE, What Kind of Prices Have People Been Getting?

In article <51c72c68$0$52791$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>,
SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> >> the Camry hybrid is a lot nicer than a Prius and can
> >> comfortably sit four adults.

> >
> > have you ever driven a Prius?

>
> Yes, as a rental. It convinced me to never buy one. Too small for two
> adults and two adult size teenagers.


really? Which Prius did you drive? 2001-2003, 2004-2009, or current
model?
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.