3 speed or 4 speed? Corolla - how can I tell?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2014, 11:18 am   #1 (permalink)
RonnieG
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 3 speed or 4 speed? Corolla - how can I tell?

We are looking for a 4 speed 1998-2003 Corolla, but I'm not sure how to tell
the difference in the two. Someone said that if it had an extra button on the
gear stick, it had overdrive and that made it a 4 speed.

How can I tell?

Thanks.


--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/3-...ll-244046-.htm
using MotorsForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
alt.autos.toyota and other automotive groups

  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2014, 01:18 pm   #2 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 3 speed or 4 speed? Corolla - how can I tell?

In article <ea42$538df539$41b57997$17768@news.flashnewsgroups .com>,
RonnieG <065b0505594b06f549b8b6640ba408f1_1170@example.com > wrote:

> We are looking for a 4 speed 1998-2003 Corolla, but I'm not sure how to tell
> the difference in the two. Someone said that if it had an extra button on the
> gear stick, it had overdrive and that made it a 4 speed.
>
> How can I tell?
>
> Thanks.


Extra button (by your thumb) on the gear lever.

Turns the overdrive (4th gear) on and off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2014, 07:18 pm   #3 (permalink)
RonnieG
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 3 speed or 4 speed? Corolla - how can I tell?

replying to Elmo P. Shagnasty , RonnieG wrote:
> elmop wrote:
>
> In article <ea42$538df539$41b57997$17768@news.flashnewsgroups .com>,
> Extra button (by your thumb) on the gear lever.
> Turns the overdrive (4th gear) on and off.



I just read something earlier that said the VE was 3 speed and CE and LE were
4 speed. Does that seem right?

So, does extra thumb button mean it is a 3 speed? The 3 speed gets poorer gas
mileage.

Thanks.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/3-...ll-244046-.htm
using MotorsForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
alt.autos.toyota and other automotive groups

  Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2014, 05:24 am   #4 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 3 speed or 4 speed? Corolla - how can I tell?

In article <484c6$538e65b8$41b57997$31666@news.flashnewsgroup s.com>,
RonnieG <065b0505594b06f549b8b6640ba408f1_1170@example.com > wrote:

> I just read something earlier that said the VE was 3 speed and CE and LE were
> 4 speed. Does that seem right?


Yes, *sounds* right.


>
> So, does extra thumb button mean it is a 3 speed? The 3 speed gets poorer gas
> mileage.


Go back and read my earlier post on the subject.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2014, 04:17 pm   #5 (permalink)
Your Name
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 3 speed or 4 speed? Corolla - how can I tell?

In article <elmop-BCBAF9.06240404062014@[78.46.70.116]>, Elmo P.
Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
> In article <484c6$538e65b8$41b57997$31666@news.flashnewsgroup s.com>,
> RonnieG <065b0505594b06f549b8b6640ba408f1_1170@example.com > wrote:
> >
> > I just read something earlier that said the VE was 3 speed and CE and LE
> > were 4 speed. Does that seem right?

>
> Yes, *sounds* right.
>
>
> > So, does extra thumb button mean it is a 3 speed? The 3 speed gets poorer
> > gas mileage.

>
> Go back and read my earlier post on the subject.


Just get a manual ("stick-shift") and you'll get five gears, which be
even better mileage, as well as actual power and speed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2014, 09:18 pm   #6 (permalink)
RonnieG
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 3 speed or 4 speed? Corolla - how can I tell?

replying to Your Name , RonnieG wrote:
> YourName wrote:
>
> In article <elmop-BCBAF9.06240404062014@[78.46.70.116]>, Elmo P.
> Just get a manual ("stick-shift") and you'll get five gears, which be
> even better mileage, as well as actual power and speed.



I would get a manual, but I have hip and back problems and shifting gears
would put too much stress on them.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota/3-...ll-244046-.htm
using MotorsForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
alt.autos.toyota and other automotive groups

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.