Auto Hacking, keyless entry, smartkeys

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2010, 10:44 pm   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cole
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Auto Hacking, keyless entry, smartkeys

At the ETH in Zurich, Switzerland (Eidgenössische Technische
Hochschule)
one of the professors got a new car, with smartkey, for keyless entry.
He offered the car for the test, if the system is secure.

It is not, not at all, definitely not.
Read the scientific investigation report here:

Relay attacks on passive keyless entry and start systems in modern
cars.
http://eprint.iacr.org/2010/332.pdf
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2010, 09:36 pm   #2 (permalink)
Peter Granzeau
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Auto Hacking, keyless entry, smartkeys

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 15:44:12 +1200, Tom Cole <tacoleNOSPAM@yahoo.co.nz>
wrote:

>At the ETH in Zurich, Switzerland (Eidgenössische Technische
>Hochschule)
>one of the professors got a new car, with smartkey, for keyless entry.
>He offered the car for the test, if the system is secure.
>
>It is not, not at all, definitely not.
>Read the scientific investigation report here:
>
>Relay attacks on passive keyless entry and start systems in modern
>cars.
>http://eprint.iacr.org/2010/332.pdf


Regular keys aren't secure, either. Without any electronics, without a
coded key, or any other way; if auto theft is required, the crooks can
steal it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2010, 09:45 am   #3 (permalink)
TKM
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Auto Hacking, keyless entry, smartkeys


"Peter Granzeau" <pgranzeau@cox.net> wrote in message
news:rtmf365e35dsr4v318161uppdsmjmrqbo1@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 15:44:12 +1200, Tom Cole <tacoleNOSPAM@yahoo.co.nz>
> wrote:
>
>>At the ETH in Zurich, Switzerland (Eidgenössische Technische
>>Hochschule)
>>one of the professors got a new car, with smartkey, for keyless entry.
>>He offered the car for the test, if the system is secure.
>>
>>It is not, not at all, definitely not.
>>Read the scientific investigation report here:
>>
>>Relay attacks on passive keyless entry and start systems in modern
>>cars.
>>http://eprint.iacr.org/2010/332.pdf


Right, but the reported improvements seem simpe enough to implement.

My father returned to his car once to find it up on concrete blocks with the
wheels, battery and some engine parts gone, but the inside of the car and
the trunk were still locked and intact. My solution is to drive a beater
with rusty lug nuts in certain areas of town and the Prius everywhere else.

What I like about the new security technology, however, is the ability to
track and locate a car -- sometimes during the theft. Seems like that would
deter a few of the hackers and professionals.

TKM



> Regular keys aren't secure, either. Without any electronics, without a
> coded key, or any other way; if auto theft is required, the crooks can
> steal it.



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.