Prius Vs Fit questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2010, 09:18 am   #1 (permalink)
computerguy903
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Prius Vs Fit questions

I am looking at buying a newish car. I have been driving a 03 Mits
Lancer, but because of the Milage, and lack of AC, I must sell it.
Through my searching I found a Honda Fit. I loved this car and it
seemed to be the perfect car. My only gripe with it was that I felt
that the Fit was a little small in the back seat. I have also been
told that the fit basicly has to have the Engine replaced at 180,000
miles. Other than that, I have been told that it is a great car and
that it didn't need many trips to the shop.

On the other had I like the Prius. It gets great gas milage, the
inside is like a spaceship, and it has plenty of room. The only thing
that I worry about this is that I have heard that at 180,000 you have
to put $3000 worth of batteries into it. Since it is a hybrid, I
assume that it uses different parts than your typical car such as all
the electric motors, CVT, and all the the electronics. Do these parts
go out more often than a typical car, and are they going to be more
expensive?

Like I said, I have looked a lot and Know all of the details, but I
just cant find any real life test results. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Tyler
  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2010, 06:44 pm   #2 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Prius Vs Fit questions

In article
<fbe66185-c194-4b56-a56b-0c527a10cbed@x42g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>,
computerguy903 <tylerstrout@gmail.com> wrote:

> Through my searching I found a Honda Fit. I loved this car and it
> seemed to be the perfect car. My only gripe with it was that I felt
> that the Fit was a little small in the back seat. I have also been
> told that the fit basicly has to have the Engine replaced at 180,000
> miles.


Who the hell told you THAT?

He's wrong. Dead wrong.


> On the other had I like the Prius. It gets great gas milage, the
> inside is like a spaceship, and it has plenty of room.


Yes, it's VERY roomy in the back seat, and the driver's area is very
comfy.


> The only thing
> that I worry about this is that I have heard that at 180,000 you have
> to put $3000 worth of batteries into it.


Who the hell told you THAT?

He's wrong. Dead wrong.


Good God, there are all sorts of wackos out there, making all sorts of
claims.



> Since it is a hybrid, I
> assume that it uses different parts than your typical car such as all
> the electric motors, CVT, and all the the electronics. Do these parts
> go out more often than a typical car, and are they going to be more
> expensive?


The transmission (not a conventional CVT) in the Prius is WAY WAY more
reliable, and simpler, than a conventional automatic transmission.

The brakes are just brakes. Electronics are heavily involved in EVERY
car--it's not just a Prius thing. The electric motor/generators seem to
be very reliable. There's an extra part, the inverter, which requires
its own coolant. That's different...
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2010, 01:07 pm   #3 (permalink)
Al Falfa
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Prius Vs Fit questions


"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
news:elmop-87AA78.19444826082010@news.eternal-september.org...
> In article
> <fbe66185-c194-4b56-a56b-0c527a10cbed@x42g2000yqx.googlegroups.com>,
> computerguy903 <tylerstrout@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Through my searching I found a Honda Fit. I loved this car and it
>> seemed to be the perfect car. My only gripe with it was that I felt
>> that the Fit was a little small in the back seat. I have also been
>> told that the fit basicly has to have the Engine replaced at 180,000
>> miles.

>
> Who the hell told you THAT?
>
> He's wrong. Dead wrong.
>
>
>> On the other had I like the Prius. It gets great gas milage, the
>> inside is like a spaceship, and it has plenty of room.

>
> Yes, it's VERY roomy in the back seat, and the driver's area is very
> comfy.
>
>
>> The only thing
>> that I worry about this is that I have heard that at 180,000 you have
>> to put $3000 worth of batteries into it.

>
> Who the hell told you THAT?
>
> He's wrong. Dead wrong.
>
>
> Good God, there are all sorts of wackos out there, making all sorts of
> claims.
>
>
>
>> Since it is a hybrid, I
>> assume that it uses different parts than your typical car such as all
>> the electric motors, CVT, and all the the electronics. Do these parts
>> go out more often than a typical car, and are they going to be more
>> expensive?

>
> The transmission (not a conventional CVT) in the Prius is WAY WAY more
> reliable, and simpler, than a conventional automatic transmission.
>
> The brakes are just brakes. Electronics are heavily involved in EVERY
> car--it's not just a Prius thing. The electric motor/generators seem to
> be very reliable. There's an extra part, the inverter, which requires
> its own coolant. That's different...


I just want to add that, if driven sensibly, the regenerative braking can
dramatically extend the life of the brake pads and rotors.


  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2010, 04:28 pm   #4 (permalink)
Neo
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Prius Vs Fit questions

On Aug 26, 10:18*am, computerguy903 <tylerstr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking at buying a newish car. I have been driving a 03 Mits
> Lancer, but because of the Milage, and lack of AC, I must sell it.
> Through my searching I found a Honda Fit. I loved this car and it
> seemed to be the perfect car. My only gripe with it was that I felt
> that the Fit was a little small in the back seat. I have also been
> told that the fit basicly has to have the Engine replaced at 180,000
> miles. Other than that, I have been told that it is a great car and
> that it didn't need many trips to the shop.


The Honda Fit engine probably will last way over 250,000 miles
(or 20 years) if you take care of it. If you garage the car and
don't get into any accidents the body will probably last just
as long (but the cloth seats will be unraveling by then). The
Fits nicest ergonomic feature is the "magic" seats. Sometime
in the next three years Honda plans to introduce a mild hybrid
version of the Fit.

I still have a 1990 Honda Accord LX albet its body is a bit rusty.
It been hit multiple time and now has a salvage title but it
still get 22 mpg (down from 25 mpg when I got it new).
Honda's weakest components are the alternator, electric
motors (e.g. power windows, power antenna). While the
stero cassette tape player gave out on the 10th year but
the FM radio still works after 20 years. Due to road salt
during the winter - the lower suspension and exhaust
system are prone to rusting away. To keep the front
seats in good condition I have seat covers over them.


>
> On the other had I like the Prius. It gets great gas milage, the
> inside is like a spaceship, and it has plenty of room. The only thing
> that I worry about this is that I have heard that at 180,000 you have
> to put $3000 worth of batteries into it. Since it is a hybrid, I
> assume that it uses different parts than your typical car such as all
> the electric motors, CVT, and all the the electronics. Do these parts
> go out more often than a typical car, and are they going to be more
> expensive?


It's not how may miles but how old the batteries
are that seems to matter. In Prius forums, I've
read a few account of 1998-2003 Prius High
Voltage(HV) traction battery are dying after about
8 to 11 years of service. Of the sporadic accounts
I've read the mileage when the battery fails
varies greatly. FWIW - extreme temperatures
and draining the batteries to a very low tends to
accelerate the aging process for a battery.
I've also read that the regenerative braking
system tends to extend the life of the braking
system.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2010, 04:40 pm   #5 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Prius Vs Fit questions

In article <4c77ff14$1@newsgate.x-privat.org>,
"Al Falfa" <crop@eastforty.fld> wrote:

> I just want to add that, if driven sensibly, the regenerative braking can
> dramatically extend the life of the brake pads and rotors.
>


Oh my yes (he says, noting that he's now 67K on the brakes and the
rotors are still perfectly straight when they're invoked).
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2010, 04:45 pm   #6 (permalink)
News
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Prius Vs Fit questions

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <4c77ff14$1@newsgate.x-privat.org>,
> "Al Falfa" <crop@eastforty.fld> wrote:
>
>> I just want to add that, if driven sensibly, the regenerative braking can
>> dramatically extend the life of the brake pads and rotors.
>>

>
> Oh my yes (he says, noting that he's now 67K on the brakes and the
> rotors are still perfectly straight when they're invoked).



No matter the metal-on-metal shriek...
  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2010, 04:21 am   #7 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Prius Vs Fit questions

In article <kNCdnZw7WLJkrOXRnZ2dnUVZ_vKdnZ2d@speakeasy.net> ,
News <News@Group.Name> wrote:

> >> I just want to add that, if driven sensibly, the regenerative braking can
> >> dramatically extend the life of the brake pads and rotors.
> >>

> >
> > Oh my yes (he says, noting that he's now 67K on the brakes and the
> > rotors are still perfectly straight when they're invoked).

>
>
> No matter the metal-on-metal shriek...


Nope, none here.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.