2010 Prius body paint

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2010, 08:31 pm   #1 (permalink)
Neo
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 2010 Prius body paint

Initially when I read that a second coat of paint
was being offered as an option on the 2010 Toyota
Prius - I was skeptical about its value. After owning
a 2010 Toyota Prius III (blue ribbon), for only less
than five months I am finding tiny chip are peeling
off the body in the oddest places like on the
panel behind the left rear door under the gas
cap port. Maybe that 2nd coat of paint would
have been a good option? Well, I've been trying
to be careful in the parking lots but that doesnot
seem to be the problem. The body panels
where these chips are appear smooth and undamaged.
Could it be road debris hitting the body? I don't
know. Sofar I've only washed and polished the
car twice. I've got some touch up paint from
the dealership - but maybe there is something
else I should consider? Maybe a front grill
nose mask? Should I get the Prius repainted
and clear coated two years from now? I've
notice quite a few 2nd gen Prius where I live
with scruffy paint jobs so I am not taking
this too personal - but I'd like to avoid having
the Prius rust prematurely on me. Any advice
to protect the Prius from rusting away
in a rust belt state?





  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2010, 12:23 pm   #2 (permalink)
David T. Johnson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2010 Prius body paint

Neo wrote:

> Could it be road debris hitting the body? I don't
> know. Sofar I've only washed and polished the
> car twice. I've got some touch up paint from
> the dealership - but maybe there is something
> else I should consider?
>


Most cars on the road today use pretty much the same paint from one of
the major suppliers (ppg, DuPont, or BASF). The only care that your
paint job needs is gentle washing. The worst thing you can do to a
modern automotive paint coating is to apply some sort of 'polish' to it
which does nothing but weaken the paint in exchange for a possible short
term increase in lustre (added by the polish) that will quickly fade
away. If you are already reaching for the touch-up paint on a 2010
vehicle then the paint was either improperly applied (EXTREMELY unlikely
with a Prius), has suffered some sort of road damage (as you suggest),
or has been exposed to some kind of chemical attach (brake fluid and
oxygenated gasoline are the biggest culprits). Throw the polish away,
wash your car with soap and water, and watch for further deterioration.

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a
  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2010, 09:33 pm   #3 (permalink)
Neo
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2010 Prius body paint

On Sep 13, 12:23*pm, "David T. Johnson" <djohn...@isomedia.com> wrote:
> Neo wrote:
> > Could it be road debris hitting the body? I don't
> > know. Sofar I've only washed and polished the
> > car twice. I've got some touch up paint from
> > the dealership - but maybe there is something
> > else I should consider? *

>
> Most cars on the road today use pretty much the same paint from one of
> the major suppliers (ppg, DuPont, or BASF). *The only care that your
> paint job needs is gentle washing. *The worst thing you can do to a
> modern automotive paint coating is to apply some sort of 'polish' to it
> which does nothing but weaken the paint in exchange for a possible short
> term increase in lustre (added by the polish) that will quickly fade
> away. *If you are already reaching for the touch-up paint on a 2010
> vehicle then the paint was either improperly applied (EXTREMELY unlikely
> with a Prius), has suffered some sort of road damage (as you suggest),
> or has been exposed to some kind of chemical attach (brake fluid and
> oxygenated gasoline are the biggest culprits). *Throw the polish away,
> wash your car with soap and water, and watch for further deterioration.
>
> --
> Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
> and Sea Monkey 1.5a


The chips and scratches have left the primer exposed so
the touch-up paint is going to be a necessary evil
since the primer is not going to be able to protect the car
from the road salts that the local governments are famous
for using every winter. The body needs to be protected
until it can get repainted.

I am using Meguiar's car wash - which I believe is one of the better
brands.

I have applied two applications of NuFinsh Car Polish per
the manufacturer's instructions. It does not require any
abrasive mechanical polishing because it is a liquid polymer.
Liquid polymer coatings like NuFinish only seal out
chemicals/water but donot protect from dings, projectiles,
and other flying objects. The paint job on the Prius appears
very delicate so I am going to try to avoid any general
use of abrasives or micro-abrasives.

I am driving in the Washington DC Metro Area which its share
of air pollution, road hazards, road salts and ozone like bad stuff.

Priuschat forums suggest that this problem is not
uncommon among Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius vehicles.
Some on Priuschat blamed the paint formulation
that Toyota was using. Others blamed the body plastics
and metals being used by Toyota claiming that it was
too prone to bending/flexing. There was no
consensus as to what was the root of the problem.

To reduce the risk of body rust, I am thinking that within
two years I will get the entire body repainted (with the
same color) and then have a new clear coat applied
every 4 years thereafter. Clear coating is suppose
to protect the paint from chips and scratches from
what I understand.

  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2010, 07:47 am   #4 (permalink)
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2010 Prius body paint

Op 14-9-2010 3:33, Neo schreef:
> On Sep 13, 12:23 pm, "David T. Johnson"<djohn...@isomedia.com> wrote:
>> Neo wrote:
>>> Could it be road debris hitting the body? I don't
>>> know. Sofar I've only washed and polished the
>>> car twice. I've got some touch up paint from
>>> the dealership - but maybe there is something
>>> else I should consider?

>>
>> Most cars on the road today use pretty much the same paint from one of
>> the major suppliers (ppg, DuPont, or BASF). The only care that your
>> paint job needs is gentle washing. The worst thing you can do to a
>> modern automotive paint coating is to apply some sort of 'polish' to it
>> which does nothing but weaken the paint in exchange for a possible short
>> term increase in lustre (added by the polish) that will quickly fade
>> away. If you are already reaching for the touch-up paint on a 2010
>> vehicle then the paint was either improperly applied (EXTREMELY unlikely
>> with a Prius), has suffered some sort of road damage (as you suggest),
>> or has been exposed to some kind of chemical attach (brake fluid and
>> oxygenated gasoline are the biggest culprits). Throw the polish away,
>> wash your car with soap and water, and watch for further deterioration.
>>
>> --
>> Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
>> and Sea Monkey 1.5a

>
> The chips and scratches have left the primer exposed so
> the touch-up paint is going to be a necessary evil
> since the primer is not going to be able to protect the car
> from the road salts that the local governments are famous
> for using every winter. The body needs to be protected
> until it can get repainted.
>
> I am using Meguiar's car wash - which I believe is one of the better
> brands.
>
> I have applied two applications of NuFinsh Car Polish per
> the manufacturer's instructions. It does not require any
> abrasive mechanical polishing because it is a liquid polymer.
> Liquid polymer coatings like NuFinish only seal out
> chemicals/water but donot protect from dings, projectiles,
> and other flying objects. The paint job on the Prius appears
> very delicate so I am going to try to avoid any general
> use of abrasives or micro-abrasives.
>
> I am driving in the Washington DC Metro Area which its share
> of air pollution, road hazards, road salts and ozone like bad stuff.
>
> Priuschat forums suggest that this problem is not
> uncommon among Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius vehicles.
> Some on Priuschat blamed the paint formulation
> that Toyota was using. Others blamed the body plastics
> and metals being used by Toyota claiming that it was
> too prone to bending/flexing. There was no
> consensus as to what was the root of the problem.
>
> To reduce the risk of body rust, I am thinking that within
> two years I will get the entire body repainted (with the
> same color) and then have a new clear coat applied
> every 4 years thereafter. Clear coating is suppose
> to protect the paint from chips and scratches from
> what I understand.
>

What does your dealer tell you about this paint problem? I guess there
is still some warranty on the carpaint?
  Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 08:29 am   #5 (permalink)
Neo
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2010 Prius body paint

On Sep 14, 7:47*am, Thibaud Taudin Chabot <tcha...@dds.nl> wrote:
> Op 14-9-2010 3:33, Neo schreef:
>
>
>
> > On Sep 13, 12:23 pm, "David T. Johnson"<djohn...@isomedia.com> *wrote:
> >> Neo wrote:
> >>> Could it be road debris hitting the body? I don't
> >>> know. Sofar I've only washed and polished the
> >>> car twice. I've got some touch up paint from
> >>> the dealership - but maybe there is something
> >>> else I should consider?

>
> >> Most cars on the road today use pretty much the same paint from one of
> >> the major suppliers (ppg, DuPont, or BASF). *The only care that your
> >> paint job needs is gentle washing. *The worst thing you can do to a
> >> modern automotive paint coating is to apply some sort of 'polish' to it
> >> which does nothing but weaken the paint in exchange for a possible short
> >> term increase in lustre (added by the polish) that will quickly fade
> >> away. *If you are already reaching for the touch-up paint on a 2010
> >> vehicle then the paint was either improperly applied (EXTREMELY unlikely
> >> with a Prius), has suffered some sort of road damage (as you suggest),
> >> or has been exposed to some kind of chemical attach (brake fluid and
> >> oxygenated gasoline are the biggest culprits). *Throw the polish away,
> >> wash your car with soap and water, and watch for further deterioration..

>
> >> --
> >> Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
> >> and Sea Monkey 1.5a

>
> > The chips and scratches have left the primer exposed so
> > * * the touch-up paint is going to be a necessary evil
> > * * since the primer is not going to be able to protect the car
> > * * from the road salts that the local governments are famous
> > * * for using every winter. The body needs to be protected
> > * * until it can get repainted.

>
> > I am using Meguiar's car wash - which I believe is one of the better
> > brands.

>
> > I have applied two applications of NuFinsh Car Polish per
> > * * the manufacturer's instructions. It does not require any
> > * * abrasive mechanical polishing because it is a liquid polymer.
> > * *Liquid polymer coatings like NuFinish only seal out
> > * *chemicals/water but donot protect from dings, projectiles,
> > * *and other flying objects. The paint job on the Prius appears
> > * *very delicate so I am going to try to avoid any general
> > * *use of abrasives or micro-abrasives.

>
> > I am driving in the Washington DC Metro Area which its share
> > * *of air pollution, road hazards, road salts and ozone like bad stuff.

>
> > Priuschat forums suggest that this problem is not
> > uncommon among Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius *vehicles.
> > Some on Priuschat blamed *the paint formulation
> > that *Toyota was using. Others blamed the body plastics
> > and metals being used by Toyota claiming that it was
> > too prone to bending/flexing. *There was no
> > consensus as to what was the root of the problem.

>
> > To reduce the risk of body rust, I am thinking that within
> > two years I will get the entire body repainted (with the
> > same color) and then have a new clear coat applied
> > every 4 years thereafter. Clear coating is suppose
> > to protect the paint from chips and scratches from
> > what I understand.

>
> What does your dealer tell you about this paint problem? I guess there
> is still some warranty on the carpaint?-


hmmm. Good question.
I'll have to check up on that...
  Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2010, 07:21 am   #6 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2010 Prius body paint

On Sep 9, 7:31*pm, Neo <residualselfimage1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Initially when I read that a second coat of paint
> was being offered as an option on the 2010 Toyota
> Prius - I was skeptical about its value. *After owning
> a 2010 Toyota Prius III (blue ribbon), for only less
> than five months I am finding tiny chip are peeling
> off the body in the oddest places like on the
> panel behind the left rear door under the gas
> cap port. *Maybe that 2nd coat of paint would
> have been a good option? *Well, I've been trying
> to be careful in the parking lots but that doesnot
> seem to be the problem. The body panels
> where these chips are appear smooth and undamaged.
> Could it be road debris hitting the body? I don't
> know. Sofar I've only washed and polished the
> car twice. I've got some touch up paint from
> the dealership - but maybe there is something
> else I should consider? *Maybe a front grill
> nose mask? *Should I get the Prius repainted
> and clear coated two years from now? *I've
> notice quite a few 2nd gen Prius where I live
> with *scruffy paint jobs so I am not taking
> this too personal - but I'd like to avoid having
> the Prius rust prematurely on me. Any advice
> to protect the Prius from rusting away
> in a rust belt state?


I would not even think about doing touchups myself or even think about
repaint in a few years, I would be pissed at toyota and think about
warranty and demand they fix my new car. Dont use polish or a cleaner
that does anything special, use soap. Its a NEW CAR you have a
warranty, use it. Paint should look good for 10x longer than what you
are getting.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.