Older Prius

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2011, 01:11 pm   #1 (permalink)
Steve Giannoni
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Older Prius

2001 with only about 50K miles. Only problem was wheel rim corrosion.
What can I expect as the ultimate longevity, particularly with respect
to the battery, etc.? Other's experiences with high time Prius most
welcome & thanks ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2011, 03:12 pm   #2 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Older Prius

On May 7, 1:11*pm, Steve Giannoni <casagiann...@optonline.net> wrote:
> 2001 with only about 50K miles. Only problem was wheel rim corrosion.
> What can I expect as the ultimate longevity, particularly with respect
> to the battery, etc.? Other's experiences with high time Prius most
> welcome & thanks ...


Your risk factors are:

1) traction battery - depending upon use. So far, no one knows the 50%
failure rate but we've learned that "heat is the enemy." If you can
keep the traction battery cool (aka., park in shade in hot climates in
the summer) and avoid 'heat pumping' the battery in hilly country
(aka., climb at 55 mph to avoid drawing traction battery power) we
don't know how long it takes for them to fail. Fortunately,
replacement traction batteries, rebuilds, are available for less than
$2,000.

2) transaxle MG2 short - we don't know what is going on but some of
them develop an internal short. A replacement transaxle, Ebay, runs
about $500. We reciently learned MG2 can be replaced without having to
swap the whole transaxle but still, it is not a trivial task.

3) catalytic converter failure - we're not sure but there is some
suggestion that over-filled oil can lead to poisoning and failure.
After market catalytic converters are about $200 and add labor to
install.

4) steering torque sensors - these can fail causing the steering to
power-coupled, oscillate. Not fun, the only known repair is about
$2,000 for a new assembly. However, I know of at least one older prius
that has the power pulled on power steering assembly so the car goes
into manual steering mode.

Bob Wilson
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2011, 03:28 pm   #3 (permalink)
Steve Giannoni
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Older Prius

Thanks for the extensive info ...

On Sat, 7 May 2011 13:12:18 -0700 (PDT), bwilson4web
<bwilson4web@gmail.com> wrote:

>On May 7, 1:11*pm, Steve Giannoni <casagiann...@optonline.net> wrote:
>> 2001 with only about 50K miles. Only problem was wheel rim corrosion.
>> What can I expect as the ultimate longevity, particularly with respect
>> to the battery, etc.? Other's experiences with high time Prius most
>> welcome & thanks ...

>
>Your risk factors are:
>
>1) traction battery - depending upon use. So far, no one knows the 50%
>failure rate but we've learned that "heat is the enemy." If you can
>keep the traction battery cool (aka., park in shade in hot climates in
>the summer) and avoid 'heat pumping' the battery in hilly country
>(aka., climb at 55 mph to avoid drawing traction battery power) we
>don't know how long it takes for them to fail. Fortunately,
>replacement traction batteries, rebuilds, are available for less than
>$2,000.
>
>2) transaxle MG2 short - we don't know what is going on but some of
>them develop an internal short. A replacement transaxle, Ebay, runs
>about $500. We reciently learned MG2 can be replaced without having to
>swap the whole transaxle but still, it is not a trivial task.
>
>3) catalytic converter failure - we're not sure but there is some
>suggestion that over-filled oil can lead to poisoning and failure.
>After market catalytic converters are about $200 and add labor to
>install.
>
>4) steering torque sensors - these can fail causing the steering to
>power-coupled, oscillate. Not fun, the only known repair is about
>$2,000 for a new assembly. However, I know of at least one older prius
>that has the power pulled on power steering assembly so the car goes
>into manual steering mode.
>
>Bob Wilson

  Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2011, 06:33 pm   #4 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Older Prius

On May 7, 3:28*pm, Steve Giannoni <casagiann...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the extensive info ...
>

.. . .

No problem!

If you'd like more details, I would recommend joining the Yahoo Group,
"Prius_Technical_Stuff." It is 'first post moderated' so you might
want to post a 'hello, I'm ...' introduction so the delay can overlap
your looking through the extensive messages, photos, and files area.

Started in November 2000, it has the brilliant work of the Prius
pioneers. I joined in late 2005 and still consider it the single best
source of independent, current and accurate Prius information bar
none. What most impressed me was when I saw a 'troll posting' receive
complete silence ... nobody replied.

Imagine a quiet library study hall and in runs a three-stooges clown
who announces,"You are all doo-doo heads!" People briefly look up and
continue with their Prius work. I've seen that in
"Prius_Technical_Stuff" to the extent that we seldom have 'flame wars'
that so bedevil other forums.

Bob Wilson


  Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2011, 07:25 pm   #5 (permalink)
Steve Giannoni
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Older Prius

Bob -

Not familiar with Yahoo Groups.

Please get me over to "Prius_Technical_Stuff" & thanks ...

Steve

On Sat, 7 May 2011 16:33:15 -0700 (PDT), bwilson4web
<bwilson4web@gmail.com> wrote:

>On May 7, 3:28*pm, Steve Giannoni <casagiann...@optonline.net> wrote:
>> Thanks for the extensive info ...
>>

>. . .
>
>No problem!
>
>If you'd like more details, I would recommend joining the Yahoo Group,
>"Prius_Technical_Stuff." It is 'first post moderated' so you might
>want to post a 'hello, I'm ...' introduction so the delay can overlap
>your looking through the extensive messages, photos, and files area.
>
>Started in November 2000, it has the brilliant work of the Prius
>pioneers. I joined in late 2005 and still consider it the single best
>source of independent, current and accurate Prius information bar
>none. What most impressed me was when I saw a 'troll posting' receive
>complete silence ... nobody replied.
>
>Imagine a quiet library study hall and in runs a three-stooges clown
>who announces,"You are all doo-doo heads!" People briefly look up and
>continue with their Prius work. I've seen that in
>"Prius_Technical_Stuff" to the extent that we seldom have 'flame wars'
>that so bedevil other forums.
>
>Bob Wilson
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2011, 12:16 pm   #6 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Older Prius

On May 7, 7:25*pm, Steve Giannoni <casagiann...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Bob -
>
> Not familiar with Yahoo Groups.
>
> Please get me over to "Prius_Technical_Stuff" & thanks ...


Start here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/

You'll need to create a free account and then search the groups for
"Prius_Technical_Stuff":
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...chnical_Stuff/

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.