'06 as AC Power Supply?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2011, 09:22 am   #1 (permalink)
Davoud
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default '06 as AC Power Supply?

I need a few hours of AC power (< 4 amps peak) tonight at a remote location
(astrononomical telescope mount, laptop). Is it safe (in terms of possible
damage to the car) to use my '06 for this purpose with a suitable inverter?
That would mean having the car turned on for about three hours.

TIA

Davoud

  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2011, 10:03 am   #2 (permalink)
Le Forgeron
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '06 as AC Power Supply?

Le 26/07/2011 16:22, Davoud nous fit lire :
> I need a few hours of AC power (< 4 amps peak) tonight at a remote location
> (astrononomical telescope mount, laptop). Is it safe (in terms of possible
> damage to the car) to use my '06 for this purpose with a suitable inverter?
> That would mean having the car turned on for about three hours.
>


IIRC, the limit of power is about 120W at the plug. At 12V, that's 10A.
Given the low capacity of the 12V battery (~30Ah), it means that you
will need to be in "road" mode to not exaust that battery very quickly.
Which mean the engine will run often and randomly. It might impact your
astronomical observation: vibration and source of heat.



  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2011, 01:55 pm   #3 (permalink)
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '06 as AC Power Supply?

Davoud :
>> I need a few hours of AC power (< 4 amps peak) tonight at a remote location
>> (astrononomical telescope mount, laptop). Is it safe (in terms of possible
>> damage to the car) to use my '06 for this purpose with a suitable inverter?
>> That would mean having the car turned on for about three hours.


Le Forgeron:
> IIRC, the limit of power is about 120W at the plug. At 12V, that's 10A.
> Given the low capacity of the 12V battery (~30Ah), it means that you
> will need to be in "road" mode to not exaust that battery very quickly.
> Which mean the engine will run often and randomly. It might impact your
> astronomical observation: vibration and source of heat.


Thanks. I can manage the observing part. It's the car being on for hours in
Park that I was concerned about. BTW, on a typical natural surface, having
a motor vehicle idling nearby does not produce vibrations that are
discernible to visual observers. As for heat, one does not typically set up
near the car's exhaust pipe. And it's going to be 33 C tonight, anyway.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com Posted from iPad 2
  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2011, 02:33 pm   #4 (permalink)
DA
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '06 as AC Power Supply?

responding to
http://www.motorsforum.com/prius/06-...ply-10922-.htm
DA wrote:
Davoud wrote:

> Is it safe (in terms of possible
> damage to the car) to use my \'06 for this purpose with a suitable
> inverter?
> That would mean having the car turned on for about three hours.


I\'ve been in some horrible traffic jams where there was little to no
movement for a couple of hours (I think more than three hrs on a couple of
occasions) and the air conditioner was on all the time and so were the
headlights. The car survived just fine. In fact, I think Prius is pretty
much designed to work in just such condition, common in metro commute. It
seems very similar to what you\'re talking about except you will have it
on \"park\" all the time whereas in a traffic jam you have it on \"drive\"
most (or all) of the time.

In your case it may be easier on the car and the ICE may not even have to
cycle as often if you turn everything you don\'t need (lights, A/C, radio)
off. I don\'t think it\'s going to be a problem to leave it turned on for
a few hours like this.
-------------------------------------

| |
| _ |
_________|__( )__|_________
x/ _| |( . )| |_ \\x
|_| ---*|_|





  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2011, 12:07 am   #5 (permalink)
Davoud
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '06 as AC Power Supply?

Davoud:
>> Is it safe (in terms of possible
>> damage to the car) to use my \'06 for this purpose with a suitable
>> inverter?
>> That would mean having the car turned on for about three hours.



DA:
> In your case it may be easier on the car and the ICE may not even have to
> cycle as often if you turn everything you don\'t need (lights, A/C, radio)
> off. I don\'t think it\'s going to be a problem to leave it turned on for
> a few hours like this.


Indeed. Piece of cake. I drew power from 8 pm to midnight and ran two
telescope mounts and two MacBook Pros and it worked like a charm. It was
funny to have people ask "How/why is that car starting its engine without
anyone in it?" "Which car is that?" "That car." "Oh, THAT car. Yeah, that's
my car. It does that sometimes."

Davoud

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.