Prius software hack - a connection to 2010 runaway problem?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2013, 04:18 pm   #1 (permalink)
passerby
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Prius software hack - a connection to 2010 runaway problem?

What do you guys think about this report:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...e-wheel-video/

"As I drove their vehicles for more than an hour, Miller and Valasek showed
that they€™ve reverse-engineered enough of the software of the Escape and the
Toyota Prius (both the 2010 model) to demonstrate a range of nasty surprises:
everything from annoyances like uncontrollably blasting the horn to serious
hazards like slamming on the Prius€™ brakes at high speeds."

The scope of the article and the implications are more broad than just
explaining one particular issue. They are trying to bring attention of the car
manufacturers to a (rather obvious you would think) issue of software security
that may lead to very serious incidents in the real life. Loss of life and
serious injuries seem like probable consequences.

But I thought that the symptoms they are describing are close to that of the
2010 reports about Toyota's runaway vehicles. Rubber floor mats took the blame
at the time, which sounded very lame (pardon the pun). I always thought
firmware issues were a more likely culprit.

The article is pretty "entertaining" and ends with a warning:

€œIf the only thing keeping you from crashing your car is that no one is
talking about this,€ says Miller, €œthen you€™re not safe anyway.€
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2013, 04:47 am   #2 (permalink)
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Prius software hack - a connection to 2010 runaway problem?

Op 28-7-2013 22:18, passerby schreef:
> What do you guys think about this report:
>
> http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...e-wheel-video/
>
>
> "As I drove their vehicles for more than an hour, Miller and Valasek showed
> that they’ve reverse-engineered enough of the software of the Escape and
> the
> Toyota Prius (both the 2010 model) to demonstrate a range of nasty
> surprises:
> everything from annoyances like uncontrollably blasting the horn to serious
> hazards like slamming on the Prius’ brakes at high speeds."
>
> The scope of the article and the implications are more broad than just
> explaining one particular issue. They are trying to bring attention of
> the car
> manufacturers to a (rather obvious you would think) issue of software
> security
> that may lead to very serious incidents in the real life. Loss of life and
> serious injuries seem like probable consequences.
>
> But I thought that the symptoms they are describing are close to that of
> the
> 2010 reports about Toyota's runaway vehicles. Rubber floor mats took the
> blame
> at the time, which sounded very lame (pardon the pun). I always thought
> firmware issues were a more likely culprit.
>
> The article is pretty "entertaining" and ends with a warning:
>
> “If the only thing keeping you from crashing your car is that no one is
> talking about this,” says Miller, “then you’re not safe anyway.”

If they think they found some software problems why don't they
demonstrate them? Afraid of critics about their findings?
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2013, 12:17 pm   #3 (permalink)
passerby
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Prius software hack - a connection to 2010 runaway problem?

replying to Thibaud Taudin Chabot , passerby wrote:
> tchabot wrote:
>
> Op 28-7-2013 22:18, passerby schreef:
> If they think they found some software problems why don't they
> demonstrate them? Afraid of critics about their findings?




It's always hard to know other people's real motivation, but my hunch is that
they are not as open about the hacks as other hackers usually are precisely
because someone may get very seriously hurt if this gets used in the real
world. If your PC gets hacked and you lost files or lost productivity, it's
not the same as if your car gets hacked and you lost your life (or limb). It's
nice to know that there still are responsible hackers out there!
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.