VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:38 am   #1 (permalink)
SMS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner

I guess this is the month for the check engine light in our Toyotas.

Today, in my 2001 4Runner, the Check Engine Light, the VSC Off and the
VSC Trac lights all came on at the same time.

The OBD Code is P1135, which apparently is "A/F ratio sensor". How could
this be related to the VSC lights?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 01:05 am   #2 (permalink)
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 21:38:25 -0700, SMS wrote:

> I guess this is the month for the check engine light in our Toyotas.
>
> Today, in my 2001 4Runner, the Check Engine Light, the VSC Off and the VSC
> Trac lights all came on at the same time.
>
> The OBD Code is P1135, which apparently is "A/F ratio sensor". How could
> this be related to the VSC lights?


It seems the 4Runner turns on all the lights, to get your attention.

On older Toys, if a combination of lights came on it meant your alternator
was going tits up.

If you got a code, chances are it related to the sensor indicated, or...

tighten your gas cap!



  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 01:24 am   #3 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner


"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
news:4aa88273$0$1587$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
>I guess this is the month for the check engine light in our Toyotas.
>
> Today, in my 2001 4Runner, the Check Engine Light, the VSC Off and the VSC
> Trac lights all came on at the same time.
>
> The OBD Code is P1135, which apparently is "A/F ratio sensor". How could
> this be related to the VSC lights?


We had the same problem with the O2 sensor in our Avalon. Fixed the O2
sensor and the VSC and Trac lights turned off.

My guess is that the throttle retarding function for the VSC/Trac uses the
signal from the O2 sensor or air/fuel sensor when cutting fuel.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 11:34 am   #4 (permalink)
SMS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner

Ray O wrote:
> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> news:4aa88273$0$1587$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
>> I guess this is the month for the check engine light in our Toyotas.
>>
>> Today, in my 2001 4Runner, the Check Engine Light, the VSC Off and the VSC
>> Trac lights all came on at the same time.
>>
>> The OBD Code is P1135, which apparently is "A/F ratio sensor". How could
>> this be related to the VSC lights?

>
> We had the same problem with the O2 sensor in our Avalon. Fixed the O2
> sensor and the VSC and Trac lights turned off.
>
> My guess is that the throttle retarding function for the VSC/Trac uses the
> signal from the O2 sensor or air/fuel sensor when cutting fuel.


From reading other people's experience with the same problem, some
people are saying the 02 sensor and some are saying the A/F Ratio
sensor. Are these the same thing?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:39 pm   #5 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner


"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
news:4aa91c51$0$1636$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
> Ray O wrote:
>> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> news:4aa88273$0$1587$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
>>> I guess this is the month for the check engine light in our Toyotas.
>>>
>>> Today, in my 2001 4Runner, the Check Engine Light, the VSC Off and the
>>> VSC Trac lights all came on at the same time.
>>>
>>> The OBD Code is P1135, which apparently is "A/F ratio sensor". How could
>>> this be related to the VSC lights?

>>
>> We had the same problem with the O2 sensor in our Avalon. Fixed the O2
>> sensor and the VSC and Trac lights turned off.
>>
>> My guess is that the throttle retarding function for the VSC/Trac uses
>> the signal from the O2 sensor or air/fuel sensor when cutting fuel.

>
> From reading other people's experience with the same problem, some people
> are saying the 02 sensor and some are saying the A/F Ratio sensor. Are
> these the same thing?


The air/fuel, or "A/F" sensor, and the O2 sensor basically perform the same
function, which is to tell the vehicle engine computer whether the ratio of
fuel to air is rich or lean. A/F sensors give a linear signal which tells
the vehicle's engine electronic control unit, or ECU exactly what the air
fuel ratio is, while O2 sensors just tell the ECU whether the ratio is rich
or lean. I believe that Toyota uses A/F sensors in some vehicles with CA
emissions and O2 sensors in vehicles with Federal emissions.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 01:23 pm   #6 (permalink)
SMS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner

Ray O wrote:
> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> news:4aa91c51$0$1636$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
>> Ray O wrote:
>>> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:4aa88273$0$1587$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
>>>> I guess this is the month for the check engine light in our Toyotas.
>>>>
>>>> Today, in my 2001 4Runner, the Check Engine Light, the VSC Off and the
>>>> VSC Trac lights all came on at the same time.
>>>>
>>>> The OBD Code is P1135, which apparently is "A/F ratio sensor". How could
>>>> this be related to the VSC lights?
>>> We had the same problem with the O2 sensor in our Avalon. Fixed the O2
>>> sensor and the VSC and Trac lights turned off.
>>>
>>> My guess is that the throttle retarding function for the VSC/Trac uses
>>> the signal from the O2 sensor or air/fuel sensor when cutting fuel.

>> From reading other people's experience with the same problem, some people
>> are saying the 02 sensor and some are saying the A/F Ratio sensor. Are
>> these the same thing?

>
> The air/fuel, or "A/F" sensor, and the O2 sensor basically perform the same
> function, which is to tell the vehicle engine computer whether the ratio of
> fuel to air is rich or lean. A/F sensors give a linear signal which tells
> the vehicle's engine electronic control unit, or ECU exactly what the air
> fuel ratio is, while O2 sensors just tell the ECU whether the ratio is rich
> or lean. I believe that Toyota uses A/F sensors in some vehicles with CA
> emissions and O2 sensors in vehicles with Federal emissions.


Thanks. I see that now. It's a California model. Also I notice that
beginning in 2001, the rear oxygen sensor changed on the 4Runner from a
flange type to a screw-in type.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 05:33 pm   #7 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner


"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
news:4aa935aa$0$1676$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
> Ray O wrote:
>> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> news:4aa91c51$0$1636$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
>>> Ray O wrote:
>>>> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:4aa88273$0$1587$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
>>>>> I guess this is the month for the check engine light in our Toyotas.
>>>>>
>>>>> Today, in my 2001 4Runner, the Check Engine Light, the VSC Off and the
>>>>> VSC Trac lights all came on at the same time.
>>>>>
>>>>> The OBD Code is P1135, which apparently is "A/F ratio sensor". How
>>>>> could this be related to the VSC lights?
>>>> We had the same problem with the O2 sensor in our Avalon. Fixed the O2
>>>> sensor and the VSC and Trac lights turned off.
>>>>
>>>> My guess is that the throttle retarding function for the VSC/Trac uses
>>>> the signal from the O2 sensor or air/fuel sensor when cutting fuel.
>>> From reading other people's experience with the same problem, some
>>> people are saying the 02 sensor and some are saying the A/F Ratio
>>> sensor. Are these the same thing?

>>
>> The air/fuel, or "A/F" sensor, and the O2 sensor basically perform the
>> same function, which is to tell the vehicle engine computer whether the
>> ratio of fuel to air is rich or lean. A/F sensors give a linear signal
>> which tells the vehicle's engine electronic control unit, or ECU exactly
>> what the air fuel ratio is, while O2 sensors just tell the ECU whether
>> the ratio is rich or lean. I believe that Toyota uses A/F sensors in
>> some vehicles with CA emissions and O2 sensors in vehicles with Federal
>> emissions.

>
> Thanks. I see that now. It's a California model. Also I notice that
> beginning in 2001, the rear oxygen sensor changed on the 4Runner from a
> flange type to a screw-in type.


You're welcome!

The change from flange mount to screw-in mounts for O2 sensors apparently
varied from year to year and depending on model. I think the larger
threaded area for the screw-in type made stripping threads less likely than
on the 2 smaller studs for the flange mounts.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 10:13 pm   #8 (permalink)
SMS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner

Ray O wrote:

> You're welcome!
>
> The change from flange mount to screw-in mounts for O2 sensors apparently
> varied from year to year and depending on model. I think the larger
> threaded area for the screw-in type made stripping threads less likely than
> on the 2 smaller studs for the flange mounts.


I had the air/fuel ratio sensor replaced today and all is well again.
$153 + tax for the Denso 234-9002 which hopefully is pretty close to the
Toyota OEM part since Denso is a Toyota company. The mechanic did not
charge me any labor (well it's my brother-in-law's shop). It took the
mechanic only about five minutes to change once the part arrived from
the parts supplier (fortunately the bolts were not rusted). My
brother-in-law showed me his box of old A/F sensors as he changes a lot
of them and saves them because someone comes by and pays him for the old
sensors because apparently they have enough platinum in them to make it
worthwhile. As with most of these heated sensors, it's not the sensor
part that goes bad, it's the resistive heating element. He had some of
the Denso sensors in stock but they're so expensive that he doesn't
stock a lot of them.

While he works on a lot of Toyotas and he goes to Toyota classes at the
local college where Toyota has an auto-technology program, he was still
surprised that the VSC lights come on at the same time the check engine
light comes on with the P1135 code. You'd think that this would be
mentioned somewhere in the manufacturer code listing but it isn't, at
least not in the book he had.

Someone in a forum had mentioned that it was a good idea to change the
rear oxygen sensor at the same time as the air/fuel ratio sensor, but
the mechanic said to forget it, that the rear sensors rarely go bad
unless the catalytic converter fails.

Amusingly, in a search for the Denso sensor, I found that Amazon had the
best price, "http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5YCYS" at $132.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2009, 01:20 am   #9 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner


"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
news:4aa9b226$0$1622$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
> Ray O wrote:
>
>> You're welcome!
>>
>> The change from flange mount to screw-in mounts for O2 sensors apparently
>> varied from year to year and depending on model. I think the larger
>> threaded area for the screw-in type made stripping threads less likely
>> than on the 2 smaller studs for the flange mounts.

>
> I had the air/fuel ratio sensor replaced today and all is well again. $153
> + tax for the Denso 234-9002 which hopefully is pretty close to the Toyota
> OEM part since Denso is a Toyota company. The mechanic did not charge me
> any labor (well it's my brother-in-law's shop). It took the mechanic only
> about five minutes to change once the part arrived from the parts supplier
> (fortunately the bolts were not rusted). My brother-in-law showed me his
> box of old A/F sensors as he changes a lot of them and saves them because
> someone comes by and pays him for the old sensors because apparently they
> have enough platinum in them to make it worthwhile. As with most of these
> heated sensors, it's not the sensor part that goes bad, it's the resistive
> heating element. He had some of the Denso sensors in stock but they're so
> expensive that he doesn't stock a lot of them.
>
> While he works on a lot of Toyotas and he goes to Toyota classes at the
> local college where Toyota has an auto-technology program, he was still
> surprised that the VSC lights come on at the same time the check engine
> light comes on with the P1135 code. You'd think that this would be
> mentioned somewhere in the manufacturer code listing but it isn't, at
> least not in the book he had.
>
> Someone in a forum had mentioned that it was a good idea to change the
> rear oxygen sensor at the same time as the air/fuel ratio sensor, but the
> mechanic said to forget it, that the rear sensors rarely go bad unless the
> catalytic converter fails.
>
> Amusingly, in a search for the Denso sensor, I found that Amazon had the
> best price, "http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5YCYS" at $132.


Ironically, my wife said that the check engine light, VSC, and TRAC lights
came on in our Sequoia today. I got out my trusty OBD II code scanner and
came up with P0051, which is heated O2 sensor heater control circuit low for
bank 2 sensor 1, which is basically the same condition you had, but with an
O2 sensor instead of A/F sensor.

I'll check the sensor out in the daylight.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)


  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2009, 01:23 pm   #10 (permalink)
SMS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: VSC TRAC/ VSC OFF & Check Engine Light on 2001 4Runner

Ray O wrote:

> Ironically, my wife said that the check engine light, VSC, and TRAC lights
> came on in our Sequoia today.


Uh oh, it might be some sort of pandemic.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.