adjust valves on 90 model 4runner with 3.0V6 engine

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Nov 2009, 09:46 pm   #1 (permalink)
charles bridges
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default adjust valves on 90 model 4runner with 3.0V6 engine

Recently I bought a 90 model 4Runner that is supposed to had the engine
rebuilt. The guy made the mistake of leaving the shop with it not running
right. Very sluggish and hard to start. When he called the shop back they
did say bring it back, but he had no confidence they could ever fix it so he
sold it to me and took a big loss.

Thought I knew what was wrong. Thought they had the timming belt off a
notch, but I was wrong. Timing belt is right, but valves are toooo tight.
They run from 0 clearence to .006. None are within spec.

Does anyone know of a way to adjust these without pulling the heads?
Does anyone know of an after market source for the shims? Shims are $13
apiece at the toyota dealership.

charles


  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2009, 08:01 am   #2 (permalink)
Rastamon
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: adjust valves on 90 model 4runner with 3.0V6 engine


"charles bridges" <bridgescharles@hughes.net> wrote in message
news_lPm.25244$Sw5.20989@newsfe16.iad...

> Does anyone know of an after market source for the shims? Shims are $13
> apiece at the toyota dealership.
>
> charles
>
>


You could try partsdinosaur.com, that's where I got parts for my 22R. If
Rock Auto or NAPA, does not have it, it's definitely a "Dealer Only" part.


  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2009, 12:15 pm   #3 (permalink)
Handyman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: adjust valves on 90 model 4runner with 3.0V6 engine

On Nov 25, 7:46*pm, "charles bridges" <bridgeschar...@hughes.net>
wrote:
> Recently I bought a 90 model 4Runner that is supposed to had the engine
> rebuilt. *The guy made the mistake of leaving the shop with it not running
> right. *Very sluggish and hard to start. *When he called the shop back they
> did say bring it back, but he had no confidence they could ever fix it sohe
> sold it to me and took a big loss.
>
> Thought I knew what was wrong. *Thought they had the timming belt off a
> notch, but I was wrong. *Timing belt is right, but valves are toooo tight.
> They run from 0 clearence to .006. *None are within spec.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to adjust these without pulling the heads?
> Does anyone know of an after market source for the shims? *Shims are $13
> apiece at the toyota dealership.
>
> charles


I do not know of an aftermarket source but I would start out by
rearranging the shims you have to see if any are at the correct height
before buying a bunch of new ones. The machine shop I use in Glendale
Arizona trims the valve stems when they do a set of heads for me and I
never have to get shims. This can only be done with the heads out
though. Where are you located? I've got a set of rebuilt 91 heads in
the garage and also a complete 91 3.0 engine that has about 40K on it
since a full rebuild but I think lost a valve because compression
dropped in the #3 cylinder. I'm located in the Phoenix AZ area.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2009, 01:46 pm   #4 (permalink)
Amiga
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: adjust valves on 90 model 4runner with 3.0V6 engine

Hello!
Pretty sure LC Engineering would have em but they kinda expensive too!

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:15:46 -0800 (PST), Handyman <sgt_az@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Nov 25, 7:46*pm, "charles bridges" <bridgeschar...@hughes.net>
>wrote:
>> Recently I bought a 90 model 4Runner that is supposed to had the engine
>> rebuilt. *The guy made the mistake of leaving the shop with it not running
>> right. *Very sluggish and hard to start. *When he called the shop back they
>> did say bring it back, but he had no confidence they could ever fix it so he
>> sold it to me and took a big loss.
>>
>> Thought I knew what was wrong. *Thought they had the timming belt off a
>> notch, but I was wrong. *Timing belt is right, but valves are toooo tight.
>> They run from 0 clearence to .006. *None are within spec.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way to adjust these without pulling the heads?
>> Does anyone know of an after market source for the shims? *Shims are $13
>> apiece at the toyota dealership.
>>
>> charles

>
>I do not know of an aftermarket source but I would start out by
>rearranging the shims you have to see if any are at the correct height
>before buying a bunch of new ones. The machine shop I use in Glendale
>Arizona trims the valve stems when they do a set of heads for me and I
>never have to get shims. This can only be done with the heads out
>though. Where are you located? I've got a set of rebuilt 91 heads in
>the garage and also a complete 91 3.0 engine that has about 40K on it
>since a full rebuild but I think lost a valve because compression
>dropped in the #3 cylinder. I'm located in the Phoenix AZ area.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.