Mysterious 3VZ-E coolant leak

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2013, 04:40 pm   #1 (permalink)
Desertphile
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Mysterious 3VZ-E coolant leak

Greetings yet again. I looked in my 3VZ-E engine repair manual (1992
Toyota 2WD 5-speed manual pickup) to see if I can find any reason why
coolant is leaking out of a hole on the engine block, between the
engine block and the fire wall, near the center of the engine.

http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak1.jpg

http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak2.jpg

I have circled the location in the images above. I crammed my finger
down there and it sort of feels like the hole that the coolant is
coming out of is threaded--- but I cannot tell, since so far I have
not been able to put a bolt in the hole (the engine is too hot).

The leak is after the thermostatic valve--- the coolant does not leak
out when the engine is cool.

The hole feels like it has a mounting bracket in front that supports
another hose (a 1/4 tube).

Is there anyone out there that can tell me why this is leaking? Is
there a plug?


--
Nemo me impune lacessit.
"The test of all knowledge is experiment. Experiment is the sole judge of
scientific truth." --Prof. Richard Feynman, 1963, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2013, 05:06 pm   #2 (permalink)
Desertphile
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious 3VZ-E coolant leak

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:40:01 -0700, Desertphile
<Desertphile@spammegmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings yet again. I looked in my 3VZ-E engine repair manual (1992
> Toyota 2WD 5-speed manual pickup) to see if I can find any reason why
> coolant is leaking out of a hole on the engine block, between the
> engine block and the fire wall, near the center of the engine.
>
> http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak1.jpg
>
> http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak2.jpg
>
> I have circled the location in the images above. I crammed my finger
> down there and it sort of feels like the hole that the coolant is
> coming out of is threaded--- but I cannot tell, since so far I have
> not been able to put a bolt in the hole (the engine is too hot).
>
> The leak is after the thermostatic valve--- the coolant does not leak
> out when the engine is cool.
>
> The hole feels like it has a mounting bracket in front that supports
> another hose (a 1/4 tube).
>
> Is there anyone out there that can tell me why this is leaking? Is
> there a plug?


P.S. The hole is below the temperature sensors, below the inverted "U"
shaped Engine Coolant Temp Switch hose/tube. It is just below the
metalic tube for the Engine Coolant Temp Switch, and it looks like a
bolt used to go in to that hole and support, with a bracket, the tube
for the Engine Coolant Temp Switch.


--
Nemo me impune lacessit.
"The test of all knowledge is experiment. Experiment is the sole judge of
scientific truth." --Prof. Richard Feynman, 1963, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 12:01 pm   #3 (permalink)
Desertphile
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious 3VZ-E coolant leak

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:40:01 -0700, Desertphile
<Desertphile@spammegmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings yet again. I looked in my 3VZ-E engine repair manual (1992
> Toyota 2WD 5-speed manual pickup) to see if I can find any reason why
> coolant is leaking out of a hole on the engine block, between the
> engine block and the fire wall, near the center of the engine.
>
> http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak1.jpg
>
> http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak2.jpg
>
> I have circled the location in the images above. I crammed my finger
> down there and it sort of feels like the hole that the coolant is
> coming out of is threaded--- but I cannot tell, since so far I have
> not been able to put a bolt in the hole (the engine is too hot).
>
> The leak is after the thermostatic valve--- the coolant does not leak
> out when the engine is cool.
>
> The hole feels like it has a mounting bracket in front that supports
> another hose (a 1/4 tube).
>
> Is there anyone out there that can tell me why this is leaking? Is
> there a plug?


Could it be a block coolant drain plug?


--
In the past ten years, nine of them were the hottest on record (the
Super El Nino year of 1998 makes number 10). 16 of the past 17 years
were the highest global average temperature for the past 133 years,
with year 1995 being the 17th. Where the bloody hell is this "lack
of global warming?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 07:13 pm   #4 (permalink)
Archon
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious 3VZ-E coolant leak

On 5/2/2013 1:01 PM, Desertphile wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:40:01 -0700, Desertphile
> <Desertphile@spammegmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings yet again. I looked in my 3VZ-E engine repair manual (1992
>> Toyota 2WD 5-speed manual pickup) to see if I can find any reason why
>> coolant is leaking out of a hole on the engine block, between the
>> engine block and the fire wall, near the center of the engine.
>>
>> http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak1.jpg
>>
>> http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak2.jpg
>>
>> I have circled the location in the images above. I crammed my finger
>> down there and it sort of feels like the hole that the coolant is
>> coming out of is threaded--- but I cannot tell, since so far I have
>> not been able to put a bolt in the hole (the engine is too hot).
>>
>> The leak is after the thermostatic valve--- the coolant does not leak
>> out when the engine is cool.
>>
>> The hole feels like it has a mounting bracket in front that supports
>> another hose (a 1/4 tube).
>>
>> Is there anyone out there that can tell me why this is leaking? Is
>> there a plug?

>
> Could it be a block coolant drain plug?
>
>

There is a 3VZE on Ebay at the moment with some very good photos, maybe
it will help you see where its at. item 390592923788
JC
  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 01:11 pm   #5 (permalink)
Desertphile
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious 3VZ-E coolant leak

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 15:06:59 -0700, Desertphile
<Desertphile@spammegmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:40:01 -0700, Desertphile
> <Desertphile@spammegmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings yet again. I looked in my 3VZ-E engine repair manual (1992
> > Toyota 2WD 5-speed manual pickup) to see if I can find any reason why
> > coolant is leaking out of a hole on the engine block, between the
> > engine block and the fire wall, near the center of the engine.
> >
> > http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak1.jpg
> >
> > http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak2.jpg
> >
> > I have circled the location in the images above. I crammed my finger
> > down there and it sort of feels like the hole that the coolant is
> > coming out of is threaded--- but I cannot tell, since so far I have
> > not been able to put a bolt in the hole (the engine is too hot).
> >
> > The leak is after the thermostatic valve--- the coolant does not leak
> > out when the engine is cool.
> >
> > The hole feels like it has a mounting bracket in front that supports
> > another hose (a 1/4 tube).
> >
> > Is there anyone out there that can tell me why this is leaking? Is
> > there a plug?

>
> P.S. The hole is below the temperature sensors, below the inverted "U"
> shaped Engine Coolant Temp Switch hose/tube. It is just below the
> metalic tube for the Engine Coolant Temp Switch, and it looks like a
> bolt used to go in to that hole and support, with a bracket, the tube
> for the Engine Coolant Temp Switch.


Bloody hell. All this time and I still cannot get at the spot where
the leak is. Must I really have to remove the whole ****ing engine?
REALLY?!


--
I have never hated anyone. Maybe that is why I am an atheist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2013, 10:46 am   #6 (permalink)
Desertphile
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Mysterious 3VZ-E coolant leak

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 12:11:07 -0600, Desertphile <desertphile@nospam.org>
wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 15:06:59 -0700, Desertphile
> <Desertphile@spammegmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:40:01 -0700, Desertphile
> > <Desertphile@spammegmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings yet again. I looked in my 3VZ-E engine repair manual (1992
> > > Toyota 2WD 5-speed manual pickup) to see if I can find any reason why
> > > coolant is leaking out of a hole on the engine block, between the
> > > engine block and the fire wall, near the center of the engine.
> > >
> > > http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak1.jpg
> > >
> > > http://desertphile.org/coolant-leak2.jpg
> > >
> > > I have circled the location in the images above. I crammed my finger
> > > down there and it sort of feels like the hole that the coolant is
> > > coming out of is threaded--- but I cannot tell, since so far I have
> > > not been able to put a bolt in the hole (the engine is too hot).
> > >
> > > The leak is after the thermostatic valve--- the coolant does not leak
> > > out when the engine is cool.
> > >
> > > The hole feels like it has a mounting bracket in front that supports
> > > another hose (a 1/4 tube).
> > >
> > > Is there anyone out there that can tell me why this is leaking? Is
> > > there a plug?

> >
> > P.S. The hole is below the temperature sensors, below the inverted "U"
> > shaped Engine Coolant Temp Switch hose/tube. It is just below the
> > metalic tube for the Engine Coolant Temp Switch, and it looks like a
> > bolt used to go in to that hole and support, with a bracket, the tube
> > for the Engine Coolant Temp Switch.


> Bloody hell. All this time and I still cannot get at the spot where
> the leak is. Must I really have to remove the whole ****ing engine?
> REALLY?!


So, I took off the air intake chamber, looking for the leak, and I
discovered (*FINALLY!*) that the leak was coming from the timing belt
idler, which doubles as the coolant outlet. There was once a rubber seal
under the idler, and the coolant leak dribbled out, pooled on top of the
intake manifold, and drooled down the rear end (firewall side) of the
engine.


--
"A bear attached Orlando-area woman as she was walking her dog." -- WFLA News Channel 8
"Sounds like she needs to get a bigger meaner dog." -- David Richardson
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.